The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 15, 2019, 07:50:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aviator hat first attempt  (Read 1466 times)
Alanis Binx
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: June 05, 2016, 05:47:38 am »

So my first attempt for an aviator cap didn't not turn out as planed, but now i think i know what i need to do to make it right. You know what they say if at first you don't succeed try and try again,from the ashes of failure grow the roses of success Smiley I'll get it right next time Wink
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 06:58:09 am »

So my first attempt for an aviator cap didn't not turn out as planed, but now i think i know what i need to do to make it right. You know what they say if at first you don't succeed try and try again,from the ashes of failure grow the roses of success Smiley I'll get it right next time Wink

An aviator hat is something that is interesting for me, for a particular character I'm developing. Did you post photos of your attempt?

Alanis Binx
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 07:11:56 am »

An aviator hat is something that is interesting for me, for a particular character I'm developing. Did you post photos of your attempt?
unfortunately i do not have any way to post photos at this time i don't have a phone that takes pic or a camera that can put pic on the computer i guess i need to get one Cheesy
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 07:25:45 am »

unfortunately i do not have any way to post photos at this time i don't have a phone that takes pic or a camera that can put pic on the computer i guess i need to get one Cheesy

Is this what you were thinking about?

http://www.furhatworld.com/vintage-distressed-leather-pilot-hat-p-1258.html

In my case,the cap would be used by an Airship Mechanic/Engineer type of character who would be exposed to statosphere-high (30 000 ft) altitude/low density/cold air, necessarily with an oxygen mask, and a special jump suit, Currently I'm just putting together a warm weather interior/landing party uniform (because it's much easier to do that  Tongue ), but eventually this character will don an oxygen mask or even a pressurized suit, depending.

At some point I was trying to buy commercially available aviator-style caps. Actually there are a few purveyor that make caps that look like that. It's a matter of looking on the Internet. But I ignore of there are any patterns or instructions on how to make one.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:31:21 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Alanis Binx
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 08:09:05 am »

that's not quite what i;m going for,but it is nice.i am trying not to buy anything i want to see if i can make things myself and if i can't than i guess i don't need it Wink
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 06:23:35 pm »

Nothing wrong with making anything from scratch, but it takes some determination.

So we may know what you mean, at your leisure, perhaps could you post a link showing what kind of cap you were going for?  The Anatomical section already has patterns for other types of caps including civilian and military caps (you may have to dig for very old posts though). If what you meant by Aviator Cap is a type of Bell Crown Cap (basically the cap you'' see a commercial airline captain wear), then that type of cap has already been made and cab be adapted to other styles such as "pillbox" and other types which were found in the 19th. C. (See "M1902 Full Dress (Bell Crown) Cap" and "U.S. M1895 Dress Cap" in the link below).

http://www.ushist.com/indian_wars/us_military/uniforms/hats_indian-wars.shtml

By the way, posting or moving this thread to Anatomical might attract more comments - that is the section where all the costume and clothing discussions take place.

~ ~ ~
Edited for typos
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:42:01 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 10:41:46 pm »

Is there a set of patterns on the internet for a leather Aviator's helmet?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 02:39:33 am »

Is there a set of patterns on the internet for a leather Aviator's helmet?

there are patterns online for  fabric, leather / vinyl , knitted and crochet  Aviator helmets
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 05:38:42 am »

I'm fairly exited that one of my character's costumes is coming together.  Both the aviator cap for in-flight service, or a type of officer's pillbox/forage cap for the landing party uniform will be required for my character who is an airship engineer or mechanic.

From http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40589-1st-lieutenant-12th-aero-squadron-observation-1st-army-corps-toul-sector-september-1918/

A wide variety of brown and black leather flight helmets that were both privately purchased or supplied by the French, British and American Governments were worn by A.E.F. pilots. The U.S. made Winter Aviator Helmet worn here covers the entire head except the face and is made of soft brown leather. The interior is fully lined with brown fur, which is visible around the edges of the cheek pieces and along the turned up brow band. Flying helmets such as these were often worn in conjunction with wool hoods and other forms of knit balaclavas and caps whenever the weather was cold or when they expected to be flying at higher altitudes. Unlined leather and cloth flight helmets were also worn during warmer weather.

Aviator Caps, fur-lined and unlined, WWI or Circa 1918

Bell Crown Cap (Naval Pilot's Hat), 1902

Dress Cap, Spanish American War, 1895

I've even wondered if an American Pickelhaube (yes they did exist), could be turned into a form of aviator's helmet

US Cavalry/Artillery Officer's Dress Helmets (Pickelhaube), Circa 1881 (Note United States Coat of Arms)

Chilean Army Captains wearing Pickelhaube:

To be honest I wouldn't venture into making one. I'm a maker, but my areas of expertise is wood working and soft solder/brazed metals, I'm no good, sartorially speaking. Having said that, there are some members in the forum who have dobe a great job.  There used to be a chap in the forum who started making and selling military caps of all sorts on Etsy. I wonder what happened to him. I haven't heard from him for a while

Although you can make your own caps, there will always be something that is best to buy, as opposed to make.  Today (see same link I posted above) I was looking at hat insignias (today we would call those "patches"); Since my character is enlisted as engineering staff in the US Air Ship Command, ze will have to wear some form of insignia denoting service branch, rank and occupation. These gold-bullion embroidered hat patches are only $10 apiece!

Or this one with the Engineer's Corp castle in Silver and Gold:

The insignia in my uniform, by necessity will not show the US Flag.  It was not customary for the flag to be worn on military uniforms in the 19th. C. Instead, the United States came up with it's own coat of arms, which is part (obverse side) of what is known officially as the Great Seal of the United States, and which you can see in stylized form on the US Officer's Pickelhaube:

Obverse side of the Great Seal of the United States (Includes US Coat of Arms)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:01:17 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 07:33:09 am »

Dear Ms. Binx:

As I see this thread being "trampled" a bit by the regular Tactile traffic, as soon as I receive your permission, and using my authority as a moderator, I think I will move this thread.  It would be better situated in Anatomical. Not only will it receive more attention from people interested in dressing, costuming, and other sartorial arts, but it will not be "trampled" by guns, props and demons, so to speak..
Alanis Binx
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 09:49:51 pm »

Dear Ms. Binx:

As I see this thread being "trampled" a bit by the regular Tactile traffic, as soon as I receive your permission, and using my authority as a moderator, I think I will move this thread.  It would be better situated in Anatomical. Not only will it receive more attention from people interested in dressing, costuming, and other sartorial arts, but it will not be "trampled" by guns, props and demons, so to speak..

ok go ahead
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 07:18:20 am »

Dear Ms. Binx:

As I see this thread being "trampled" a bit by the regular Tactile traffic, as soon as I receive your permission, and using my authority as a moderator, I think I will move this thread.  It would be better situated in Anatomical. Not only will it receive more attention from people interested in dressing, costuming, and other sartorial arts, but it will not be "trampled" by guns, props and demons, so to speak..

ok go ahead

Here we go, then, mylady. Hang tight.  I'll bump this thread up into Anatomical.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: