The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 16, 2019, 01:32:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Past Prediction of the Future: 1950's Fashion as seen from 1914  (Read 1407 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: June 03, 2016, 02:28:23 pm »

Life Magazine plate: 1950's fashion as predicted in 1914 by illustrator Otho Cushing:

It actually wouldn't be out of place at a 21st century tattoo convention. Dig the walking stick.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 03:18:33 pm »

I want those tattoos! They look geometrically insane.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:22:59 pm »

Looks cold

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 04:38:45 pm »

I don't know, it looks like "the future" in the 1910's was some sort of halcyon nearly naked wet dream.
I feel cheated. I want semi-naked buff people lounging around looking wanton and attractive.

WHERE ARE MY SEMI-NAKED BUFF PEOPLE EH?  Angry

Hmmmm, I've been reviewing Otho's work and well, without sounding out of turn, my gaydar is pinging something fierce:

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/art/artist-spotlight/2014/04/12/artist-spotlight-otho-cushing

Trim waists and taught buttocks all the way....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:49:41 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 04:59:52 pm »

You probably already know my answer? In Moscow Smiley

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By and large, the artist was wrong for 50 years, and so all the same.

Only... When I accidentally floating out to sea collided with the European pensioner and realized that she was Topless. It quickly swam to the side, hoping that she would not emerge from the waves.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 08:29:15 pm »

Flesh is our form. To deny that, is to deny our intrinsic humanity.

I see no problem here.
mizzarrogh
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 12:15:17 pm »

I don't know, it looks like "the future" in the 1910's was some sort of halcyon nearly naked wet dream.
I feel cheated. I want semi-naked buff people lounging around looking wanton and attractive.

WHERE ARE MY SEMI-NAKED BUFF PEOPLE EH?  Angry

Hmmmm, I've been reviewing Otho's work and well, without sounding out of turn, my gaydar is pinging something fierce:

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/art/artist-spotlight/2014/04/12/artist-spotlight-otho-cushing

Trim waists and taught buttocks all the way....

Those pictures reminds med of Touko Laaksonen (Tom of Finland) and he´s paintings of homosexual men...  Grin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_of_Finland

(Warning if google his pictures lots of them are NSFW so i don´t want to link to that here...)

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 09:19:15 pm »

Flesh is also what animals are made of. If anything, wearing trousers is more intrinsically human as no other species does it.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 10:37:11 pm »

Flesh is also what animals are made of. If anything, wearing trousers is more intrinsically human as no other species does it.

Possibly the hermit crab, or caddisfly larva.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 11:42:14 pm »

I think this thread is best served by Anatomical, rather than Tactile....

Moving!...

As you were.  Smiley

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
mizzarrogh
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 07:08:06 am »

I hope i was not rude with my last post, i was just a bit interested in how accepted homosexuality seems to hawe een back in time, even if it was forbidden by law in many countries, i oly red about wery few cases where someone actually get punished during this area in my country.

It also seems like the naturalism was beginning to flower among all stage, even if people often are pictured in many layers of hevy clothing.
I actually found in a local museum, a few photos of naked men bathing in a pund, probably not homosexuals (at least from the picture i guess they hawe families), taken in the late 1800-early 1900. I also red it in some books, for example a man namned Albert Engström (a swedish journalist and Artist) in his books he sometime write abput his private part of the beach near his summer house where he is bathing naked without being ashamed when other people show up, etc. He might hawe been a bit controversal person like August strindberg, but he even published his books (and it sold) and wrote in papers, etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: