The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 15, 2019, 10:05:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we steam this dress?  (Read 1450 times)
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 29, 2016, 07:58:51 pm »

I recently bought this dress and it is beautiful.

I had an idea in my head. I'd like to be a bit more of a mystic steampunk. Think Tarot, potions and spells, and I'd love this dress to be the base.

Basically, I though perhaps a lovely floor length underskirt to make it fluff out more (the skirt has a lot of circle to it), a black full bust corset and a Medico della Peste or a Zanni style mask with a lot of feather plumage. Brown leather boots, brown leather gloves and belts with attached potion bottles and pouches.

My guess is this is borderline Gothic instead of steampunk, but I think the mask and accessories could very well lend it a steamy edge. I'm also plus-sized and short, so I'm a tiny bit worried about a corset looking a little much on my frame.

I'd love to have some fun with this, so please let me know your ideas and thoughts! I'm open to all suggestions Grin

Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 08:23:57 pm »

The belt, with potion bottles, etc should do it.

Perhaps a Book of Spells, if designed with care, could enhance the steampunk and tone down the goth?

You've said nothing about a hat (or veil).
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 08:30:48 pm »

For a minute I forgot where I was and my reaction was "Yeah, go steam it, what's stopping you?" lol
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 10:41:56 pm »

Try the corset and see what it looks like.
I think it would also make a great underskirt with a bustle over it.
Like this
Or this but in black

And definitely a hat. 
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:06:14 pm »

'plus size and short' need not stop you wearing a corset if you want to.  I bet you are curvey!  Maybe not a full corset but would a shaped belt (Swiss waist) a la 1860's be more comfortable with your body shape.

Have you thought about a deep colour rather than black.  Black can look dull and also does not photograph well, and you will be photographed after all. 

As for the skirt, you could cut a big rectangle out of it at the front or back and have the frou-frou petticoat showing, particularly if you can find some fabric with planets on it.  Try Spoonflower (in the USA).

Good luck.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 11:16:38 pm »

'plus size and short' need not stop you wearing a corset if you want to.  I bet you are curvey!  Maybe not a full corset but would a shaped belt (Swiss waist) a la 1860's be more comfortable with your body shape.

Have you thought about a deep colour rather than black.  Black can look dull and also does not photograph well, and you will be photographed after all.  

As for the skirt, you could cut a big rectangle out of it at the front or back and have the frou-frou petticoat showing, particularly if you can find some fabric with planets on it.  Try Spoonflower (in the USA).

Good luck.

Great idea - and use the material cut from the skirt to make the hat, or a wrap, or a bustle, or to add to the bottom of the skirt to make a train. As to the steaminess of the ensemble, you could mix a few mechanisms in amongst the potions on the belt. Jewelry could also be steamy, and the corset could be dressed with chains, straps etc.

Looking forward to the WIP pictures!

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. and yes, that is a lovely dress!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:18:09 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 10:11:04 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Oh what a lovely dress.
Oh what lovely ideas you've been given.

I shall use them shamelessly in my own projects, of course.

With all due respect, I'd go dieselpunk with this, leaving the dress as is, rather doing a classic steam treatment.

Consider the drunken authoress in the lovely filmed versions of Death on the Nile  or the women of Gorey or Aubrey Beardsley

Swiss waist and curious belts with oddities, oh yes.
I'd go turban, ostrich feathers and tinted spectacles.
Flamenco dancer's shoes, for that retro look.

A carpet bag or antique doctor's bag.
A curious sort animal on your shoulder?

Makeup? go very pale, with wickedly red lipstick.

Steampunk tarot cards?

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time with your project!
And share photos of the WIP, please!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 03:13:03 pm »

What would this look like with brown boats and gloves?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 04:16:00 pm »

I've seen star patterned net a few times, keep a look out for some to embellish the outfit.  BTW where did you get the dress?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 05:04:28 pm »

For accessories,  perhaps  a Cresent moon brooch and larger brazz or be jeweled  star.  Ostrich type feather plume . Black hat with plume feather and hat pins . Black or dark blue gloves .
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 08:04:22 pm »

I think that we would all like to have one of these dresses!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 12:43:56 am »

I think that we would all like to have one of these dresses!

I think so too Frances.
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 03:44:31 pm »

Oh my goodness, so many amazing replies! I haven't been able to reply until now. Let me go through them and respond  Cheesy

Starting from the top! Newchurch, I love the idea of making a book of spells. I have a pile of interesting books and related materials that I could easily utilize - Perhaps I could scan and transfer some of the things from my witchy books in a collage format, compile a nice stack of weird and wonderful things with a lot of staining, annotating and 'samples' (sticking in feathers, dried plants, etc). I could then create a cover and bind it myself. I've actually always meant to have a go at this, and this would be the perfect excuse!

Mme. Ratchet, I did wonder if people might think I was asking for laundry instructions. Well, at least that answers that question  Grin

Hez! A bustle is an interesting idea, but perhaps for a different outfit? I'm not sure how it would sit on this dress, but maybe it's worth a go?

Frances, I am delighted to inform you that the dress is fully buttoned from the neckline to the hem, so no cutting would thankfully be required! I could unbutton it to a customised length depending on the underskirt and simply pin it back  Wink Win-win! Maybe a corset in a red wine colour, or a deep green or purple instead of black then? I am admittedly very curvy. I have a apparent 'typical' hourglass - my waist is naturally 9" smaller than my hips and my bust (but all of me is squishy  Grin). I'm just not sure if I would look 'squashed' into a corset, but I do love them. There is a corset shop in my city, I may go and have a word with them and see what they suggest.

Miranda.T, chains and straps are always fun! Lots of belts and buckles around the waist maybe, with things attached?

Consider the drunken authoress in the lovely filmed versions of Death on the Nile  or the women of Gorey or Aubrey Beardsley

Swiss waist and curious belts with oddities, oh yes.
I'd go turban, ostrich feathers and tinted spectacles.
Flamenco dancer's shoes, for that retro look.

A carpet bag or antique doctor's bag.
A curious sort animal on your shoulder?

Makeup? go very pale, with wickedly red lipstick.

Prof. Cecily, I am in awe. I am in love with the turban and ostrich feather idea! A carpet bag! An animal shoulder shrug! Oh, I have no words <3 This also addresses what a lot of you were saying about a hat. At first I was thinking of a big, beaten witchy thing full of twigs and feathers, but I think a Mystics turban would look just that little bit more oddly delightful. And if I could make one in the same colour as the corset...

As for where I got the dress from, it was Simplybe!
http://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/jameela-jamil-star-print-maxi-dress/ff979/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=3467

It has been very popular as a couple of plus size models and bloggers really threw it out onto social media. It looks like it is back in stock, however. I think every woman needs this dress!

Any other ideas and comments are still welcome. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading these replies.

Kind Regards,
Penny
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:46:48 pm by Penny Lovelace » Logged
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 12:20:57 am »

I've read the reviews of the dress and so many people commented on it being tight across the bust, even having ordered sizes larger than they normally take.  I hope that yours fits.
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 12:24:20 am »

It does. I went instore to try it on and buy it. Being big busted, I had to get a size up myself. They have a store in Manchester, and I know they have others. I'd always recommend going instore if you can!

Kind regards,
Penny
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 09:40:58 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

....Prof. Cecily, I am in awe. I am in love with the turban and ostrich feather idea! A carpet bag! An animal shoulder shrug! Oh, I have no words <3 This also addresses what a lot of you were saying about a hat. At first I was thinking of a big, beaten witchy thing full of twigs and feathers, but I think a Mystics turban would look just that little bit more oddly delightful. And if I could make one in the same colour as the corset... ....
Kind Regards,
Penny

Thank you so much! Almost all my ideas have been acquired à la pie here at Brass Goggles. The creativity of the people here is NOT to be believed.
And of course, when I saw the dress and your orientation, who else could I think than the divine Angela Landsbury?
https://www.google.es/search?q=Angela+Lansbury+Death+on+the+Nile&client=firefox-b&biw=1143&bih=546&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNyIKrs4bNAhXGExoKHW7gDowQ_AUICCgD&dpr=0.9

Absinthe green, ruby red, mystic purple, sapphire blue for colour accents.
And sepias, of course.
You might consider a waist cincher or Swiss waist rather than a full corset.

Have a wonderful time, dear, with putting together your outfit!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 09:31:34 am »

All aboard for a ride on the Orient Express  !!!
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 02:40:40 am »

you could sew backing strips bottom to top in the front of the skirt with draw strings to make the front curtain over any under skirts. especially good if you run cross some kickass boots and want to show them off a little.

the mask idea is good perhaps with the eye openings enlarged with some exotic looking eye makeup underneath, and possibly a temporary face tattoo or two.

don't forget a backlit crystal ball and some glowing vials of potions.

gotta have a bag of odd animal parts to dump out for fortune reading. air dry crafting clay will do a lot to this end. at least one severed chicken foot would be required to fill out any self respecting fortune tellers kit.

as a steam punk add-on, maybe a stereo viewer to see into the future of clients. they make paper plans to make viewers and you can bodger something over a smartphone nad steam punk the shell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: