The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 25, 2019, 09:42:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to the blog?  (Read 851 times)
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 27, 2016, 07:27:22 pm »

Hello! Random question and I may have missed the answer some time ago, but what happened to the blog that hosts this forum? It looks lile the last post was 3 years ago.
Generally just curious!

Kind regards,
Penny
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:14:06 pm »

Well tbh there isn't really an answer to it other than the contributors dropped off the radar for one reason or another.

Proteus is still about and occasionally sticks his head round the door, but all too infrequently and a lot of other people and once prominent members have stopped dropping by for various reason (usually due to complications, or otherwise in meatspace or the ever increasing pull of the book of arses *ahem* faces). There was an attempt a while ago to kickstart it, but I don't know what came of that.

But in a way I think it's a good thing, its' a sign of how far the community has progressed, and that we're actually getting out there and meeting face to face and becoming increasingly recognised as a subculture in public, as opposed to simply lurking in our own little corner of the interwebs to be met with blank looks whenever we talked about it.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:25:05 pm »

Yeah, the blog has been in mothballs for some time now. Basically nobody was posting anything, and we were not getting any new suggestions for content, and nobody seemed interested in taking over full time. So we quietly dropped it as the main landing page for the forum.

There has been a few suggestions about bringing the blog back into use, but nothing has come of it.

I think the main issue is that blogs are now essentially dead due to the fact most people use Facebook for this purpose now. Keeping a running blog takes quite a bit of personal time and effort, so if you are already on Facebook, it seems pointless to keep an active blog when most of the planet are already on Facebook, and probably will not look further than Facebook for that type of content...  Undecided

However, if anyone is interested in taking over the daily running of the blog, we would be happy to discuss the matter and come up with a working plan. Just be aware that content creation is usually harder than you think!

And yes, we have a Facebook page too - it's also inactive.  Roll Eyes

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:25:34 pm »

However, if anyone is interested in taking over the daily running of the blog, we would be happy to discuss the matter and come up with a working plan.

^ I think it's wonderful that there is so much optimism in the world today^

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 10:12:25 pm »

I did reply to this, but mustn't have clicked 'post'. Ooops.

Thanks for letting me know, I was very curious. Running a consistent blog to encourage readers in a big undertaking. New and exciting content can be hard to find sometimes.

Good luck though! I hope you get it up and running one day soon  Smiley

Kind Regards,
Penny
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 04:47:34 am »

Is the holdup that we need a moderator or that we need contributors?
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 08:26:50 am »

GCCC the issue is mostly contributors. No doubt the mod team would have to step up somewhat to act as editors for blog content but the larger part is creating the content itself.

Ms Lovelace hit the crux of it in her last post, in that finding new and exciting content can be tricky. We'd need a team of contributors most likely, and then we end up with consistency issues. Plus, even if we had 5 contributors and 1 piece of news we'll still find ourselves strapped for content.

I don't mean to suggest running the blog is unfeasible, but certainly it's a fair undertaking and one that's hard to run on volunteer man-hours.

In a way it would be ideal if we were generating our own news to report on, but at that point a reader might as well come here to the forum and get the news for themselves instead of read a blog.

I'll be honest, blogging is not what it used to be and we've really just fallen victim to the changing times.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 06:17:34 pm »

Clearly, I'm going to have to chew on this further... I have ideas, but I'm not ready to put voice to them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: