The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 01:42:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New your advice on a new outfit....  (Read 1203 times)
banks1882
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 24, 2016, 12:34:18 am »

Hey,

Would you mind awfully taking a look and providing some suggestions on how to improve it I would be deeply grateful thank you (terrible photo I know!)

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 08:53:57 am »

A few ideas to play with.

Some red in the upper part of the outfit,
e.g. You could replace the fur with a draped piece in the same fabric as the kilt or wear both. 
      Have a red cravat rather than the black tie you have now.
      A spray of red cockerel feathers in the hat 

The right hand leather piece needs a purpose, either it is a wrist brace which would mean it has to look sturdier or it could contain something, I've seen maps, weapons occult paraphernalia and even the odd pet.
Sometimes very odd. What was that tentacle?

Darken the binding on your weapon, currently the effect is a bit bandaid.  Leather or possibly brass holster to carry it.
Across the back is popular for larger weapon holsters but by no means compulsory.
See Armoury child(spin off) board in Tactile for weapon work ideas.

Black leather sporran and belt. 
Knife sheath on boot.   
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 03:56:03 pm »

Steampunk and kilt? You've won me over.

I am not a fan of the sporran, though, may i suggest making it look...well...more like a sporran? It doesn't seem lile it's very solid and reminds me more of a backpack. If you put something heavyish in there, it might start swinging painfully. I've seen these kinds of soft leather sporrans, but always worn a little to the side, more on the hip. Don't count me as some kind of expert, though. All i know is the result of a deep rooted interest in Celtic cultures.

I agree with walking stick that bringing back the red or tartan in the upper part of the clothing would be a good idea, as it would intergrate the pieces further, make it more of a whole.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:42:27 pm »

How about drawing the eye down to your boots.  A bit of distressing in silver, a few buckles or studs, or be brave and add some silver lace spilling out from the tops.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 03:17:22 am »

That is a fabulous photo [ in a manly way] . Tartan, fur, armaments. What more could a warrior  kit need.

- maybe  an emblem or 2, metallic trim  on the  shirt sleeve, waistcoat and boots.
montysaurus
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 03:28:07 am »

I agree need swome red at the top. Perhaps try a white shirt to give the outfit more contrast and accentuate the details.
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 03:44:59 am »

Also agree about the sporran.  Here are some cheap alternatives, that you could steam up a bit.https://www.google.com/search?q=sporran&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=shop&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiM-JOC2_vMAhUBPlIKHWGlCX8Q_AUIBigB&dpr=1#spd=6698583660195398968 and http://www.theleatherartisan.com/products.php?id=140
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 03:51:33 am »

Steampunk and kilt? You've won me over.

I am not a fan of the sporran, though, may i suggest making it look...well...more like a sporran? It doesn't seem lile it's very solid and reminds me more of a backpack. If you put something heavyish in there, it might start swinging painfully. I've seen these kinds of soft leather sporrans, but always worn a little to the side, more on the hip. Don't count me as some kind of expert, though. All i know is the result of a deep rooted interest in Celtic cultures.

I agree with walking stick that bringing back the red or tartan in the upper part of the clothing would be a good idea, as it would intergrate the pieces further, make it more of a whole.

Yes, do be careful with a sporran. After running for some time in a kilt (don't ask), with the sporran bouncing up and down with each stride, I figured out why the Scots were so fearsome in battle.

steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 12:35:42 am »

I like that you went asymmetrical on top, with the wrist wrap and fur throw.  

How about complimenting that with some contrast on the opposite boot?  Something brass or copper, maybe a sheath to hold a tool or weapon.  Maybe it would hold that wooden thing hanging down below the gun.  (I photoshopped the picture to get a better look at it)

Except for the kilt, the overall effect is a bit dull--the shirt and vest and hat and armwrap and furthingie are too similar in color value and thrown into the background by the bright kilt. A lighter or contrasting shirt--a muted blue or green, even gray--might help.

Some shiny metal would be nice (OK, I always think shiny is nice), maybe on the armwrap, or a chain hanging atop the furthingie.  And on the hatband, too.

Sorry for so many suggestions, I used to be a theatrical costumer, and old habits die hard.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:42:02 am by steiconi » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: