The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2019, 03:54:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage or Steampunk Packaging - images thereof.  (Read 3882 times)
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 18, 2016, 09:51:46 am »

I have browsed the forums and I haven't seen a Vintage packaging thread so I have started one. I suppose this can be for modern designs with a truly vintage look and feel, modern steampunk packaging for items that do/do not really exist, traditional packaging that emanates from the period we loosely ascribe as steampunk (Victorian/early Edwardian). So feel free to submit images of/designs/posters &c for packaging that is either Victorian or steampunk in nature. We'll accept cyberpunk packging too too if it falls beyond the time remit but fits into the genre.

In this thread there will be some mild moderation to ensure the timeline is kept but don't be put off by that, we'll tend to encourage designs and layouts so that new packaging can be reproduced or reprinted.

This thread follows on from the excellent Victorian brands still extant thread: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35567.0.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:00:13 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged

Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:53:35 am »

My first post, for those that aren't of British/imperial stock, you may not know OXO cubes. They are a meat extract, dried and cubed that you crumble into hot water, they have been produced since 1910. OXO cubes were taken by Captain Scott to the Antarctic and have been used by the British ever since to make a beef, chicken or vegetable stock.

The above image is my reproduction of the original paper packaging wrapped around each cube in about 1910. The cubes were wrapped then packaged in sealed tins of 120 cubes to keep them fresh.

The above reproduction allows you to make your own period reproductions around a modern OXO cube.

Produced double-size for you to do with as you wish. Resize it, print several onto coloured paper, cut out, fold and apply to your cube...

The mottos varied and the colour fades with time.

A selection of images there for you.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:57:18 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:20:29 pm »

What happens to the cube when you "compress when handling"? Do all those stimulating extractives of lean beef explode violently?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:43:36 am »

What happens to the cube when you "compress when handling"? Do all those stimulating extractives of lean beef explode violently?

The product is still available. It could be worth your investigation.

Please post with pics
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:15:40 am »

I enjoy good packaging and labels. My friends think I am eccentric.   Asian supermarkets here have the best labeling and packaging.  Primary colours, interesting font and borders make for a more attractive label.

Indian match boxes are an excellent example

Some of these  Chinese liniment products I use. They are effective and  the packing is interesting.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:17:49 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 01:18:45 am »

RJ, you end up with crumbs, which can still be reconstituted. The fun starts when there is a lot of humidity, or the package is slightly damaged - then you end up with sticky beef on your fingers!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 01:23:26 am »

I go to oriental markets occasionally, and the packaging does often have a vintage look to it.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 08:02:40 am »

I go to oriental markets occasionally, and the packaging does often have a vintage look to it.

They don't fuss about with  focus groups and PR marketing teams, they go with the traditional icons, stylisation and colour.   Victorian and Edwardian  labeling was heavily  influenced by the occidental.

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 09:48:37 am »

Lovely stuff so far, are those Indian/Swedish match covers current?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 11:04:57 am »

They don't fuss about with  focus groups and PR marketing teams, they go with the traditional icons, stylisation and colour.   Victorian and Edwardian  labeling was heavily  influenced by the occidental.

Perhaps you mean Oriental (i.e. Eastern) influence...

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 04:49:58 pm »

The best packaging of all sorts are those for fireworks, they don't just illustrate the item inside, nor do they just hold and contain the item they also cause the effect, the bang! due to the compressive effect on the explosive inside. They can discharge the explosive in different ways so firework packaging has to be the most interesting and at the same time the most useful.

Old firework packaging by definition, does not survive so what still exists is very rare, the only photo of a Victorian firework I could find is quite plain but the fireworks when I was a boy were wonders to behold. Those dating back only a decade or so from then were also attractive, I assume then that shop-bought fireworks would have had attractive packaging, the posters certainly did.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:51:51 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 06:30:36 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2B1MO4CnQ
there is some different pacages shown in this commercial

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 08:01:20 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2B1MO4CnQ
there is some different pacages shown in this commercial

What an absolutely charming ad Caledonian
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 03:18:35 pm »

If I had a little more artistic skill and time I would design some Victorian look packaging for new products;  I have in mind a tin for Tang instant breakfast drink which would brag of the product's medicinal properties and claim wholesome natural ingredients.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 03:33:02 pm »

sugar loaf

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 03:43:22 pm »

If I had a little more artistic skill and time I would design some Victorian look packaging for new products;  I have in mind a tin for Tang instant breakfast drink which would brag of the product's medicinal properties and claim wholesome natural ingredients.

That would be a tang tin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 03:18:34 am »

Perhaps you mean Oriental (i.e. Eastern) influence...

... perhaps I do ....
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 05:55:06 am »

Does anyone know where I can get old style tin with a circular metal lid? The type they use to use for cocoa and baking powder before they switched to plastic in the 80's.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 07:52:57 am »

Don't forget Codd-neck soda bottles (AKA "Marble Soda" bottles), where a glass marble trapped in a specially shaped bottle keeps the soda under pressure. Invented in 1872, by British soft drink maker Hiram Codd of Camberwell, London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codd-neck_bottle

The bottles still are still in use today in japan, and are used for very sweet gum-flaviured "Ramune" sodas (Transliterated Japanese for "Lemonade"), a type of drink originally brought to Japan by Alexander Cameron Sim in 1841

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramune

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 12:22:05 pm »

Does anyone know where I can get old style tin with a circular metal lid? The type they use to use for cocoa and baking powder before they switched to plastic in the 80's.

Bisto came up with such a tin recently with an old-style promotion. I have a tin here in my hand. If I can remember another product that comes insuch a tin I'll post it here.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 06:23:14 am »

In my neck of the woods, golden syrup, treacle etc comes in tins like that  - or they did last time I looked.  Scour the baking section in the supermarkets.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 07:29:21 am »

Recently there has been a change up in the shape  and labeling of cordial  drink bottle available  here in the Antipodes. There is a  retro Art Nouveau  influence

eg

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 07:38:25 pm »

In my neck of the woods, golden syrup, treacle etc comes in tins like that  - or they did last time I looked.  Scour the baking section in the supermarkets.

THAT type of tin. Understood now, I thought you meant the older style that overlap the top and push down with a satisfying airtight fwump.

The tins Annie is referring to are the Tate and Lyle type. Paint tin lids.

Today's tin with the Paint tin-style lids:

Yesterday's tin with the overlapping top:

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 08:07:29 pm »

The overlapping top would be ideal, but the little round lid that you press into place would be acceptable.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 11:06:06 pm »

Any British store will have these tins, overseas or home.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: