The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 06:28:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What ever happened to ...  (Read 1073 times)
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« on: May 14, 2016, 08:17:19 am »

Kirlian photography?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:39:21 am by creagmor » Logged

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 11:53:57 am »

Not all humbug lasts. You don't hear much about biorhytms either these days.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 02:24:46 am »

The images are produced by electrical flow between an electrified object and a photographic plate that the object is pressed against. The nature of the image can be explained entirely through real science, but a group of cranks claims that the image is of an energy aura that surrounds all objects. Self-described parapsychologists popularized the aura-photography claim in the 1970's but, since they provided no decent proof, and found no practical application for the images, nothing ever really came of it.

If you want to use Kirlian photography to drive the plot of a science fiction or fantasy story, or a role playing game, that would be a better use for the technology that has ever been devised by its proponents.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:18:52 pm by RJBowman » Logged
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 09:43:15 am »

Thank you for your information. I am a natural sceptic and one of my parents was quite a cynic. thus I have always believed that there was something wonky about it.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 10:25:33 am »

^This.

It is beautifully and succinctly put.

Consider the below, then, a perhaps unnecessary footnote:

Nor pyramids sharpening razor blades, nor the Bermuda Triangle, nor plants communicating telepathically with their owners, nor aliens traveling all the way to Earth to construct monuments beyond the capabilities of brown peoples (white peoples, apparently, being able to build their own monuments without extraterrestrial help), nor folk remedies for cancer based on peach pits, nor that advertisers manipulate us by hiding the word "sex" in photos of crackers.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 03:20:25 pm »

^This.

It is beautifully and succinctly put.

Consider the below, then, a perhaps unnecessary footnote:

Nor pyramids sharpening razor blades, nor the Bermuda Triangle, nor plants communicating telepathically with their owners, nor aliens traveling all the way to Earth to construct monuments beyond the capabilities of brown peoples (white peoples, apparently, being able to build their own monuments without extraterrestrial help), nor folk remedies for cancer based on peach pits, nor that advertisers manipulate us by hiding the word "sex" in photos of crackers.

The old "In Search Of" episodes are all in a vault somewhere, waiting to be shown again by some nostalgic TV channel.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 03:45:07 pm »

Nor pyramids sharpening razor blades,

Nooooooo .....
(Exits, sobbing with disillusionment)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 04:50:17 pm »

I watched "In Search Of" as a child, and I believed all of the stuff about psychic plants and pyramid power, then as I got older and more knowledgeable I learned that it was all bunk, but I maintained a nostalgia for it. I even briefly collected books on UFOs and the paranormal for a while, until I realized that the lunatic fringe subculture was far bigger than I had imagined, and that the crazy books were being produced in too great of numbers to be dealt with properly by a casual collector.

I still don't have any problem with works of fiction that treat this stuff as part of the background of the fictional world. I did dislike the recent X-Files revival's focus on post-9-11 conspiracy theory; that stuff is just poisonous.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 05:30:34 pm »

If one were to think about it, anything sailing through the air that could not be recognized would qualify as a UFO. Also there are a lot of "flying saucers" here in South Africa. There are even road signs indicating their locations; but here that is a term for a freeway interchange.   
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 09:48:35 pm »

If one were to think about it, anything sailing through the air that could not be recognized would qualify as a UFO. Also there are a lot of "flying saucers" here in South Africa. There are even road signs indicating their locations; but here that is a term for a freeway interchange.   

The South African highway system incorporates Roswell technology.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 09:56:00 pm »

The South African highway system incorporates Roswell technology.

All highway systems do. That's why you can make what should be a brief commute only to discover, upon arrival, that you've unaccountably lost several hours out of your life.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 04:17:08 pm »

Fay Wray?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Bines
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 04:52:36 am »

Fay Wray?

Perfect!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 07:57:10 am »

Believe it or not

Because....

You asked for it
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 07:18:24 pm »

Fay Wray?

...Randolph Scott,
Happened to the industry.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 08:13:21 am »

Fay Wray?
That delicate satin-draped frame...

[one for the 'Things that made you happy today' thread. Cheers, MW]

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: