The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 24, 2020, 02:55:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Prince (1958-2016)  (Read 1239 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: April 23, 2016, 01:14:11 am »

Prince departed the Earthly plane yesterday.

I don't know how many people even followed or knew of Prince  A/K/A Prince Rogers Nelson,  and although he was not my favorite artist,  I definitely was aware of his music,  and he definitely was big enough in the music industry, spanning enough years to make him a music icon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_%28musician%29

Rumor has it that upon his death certain people had instructions to start releasing music that he intentionally kept hidden from the public.

May the Purple one rest in peace.

Prince at the Coachella Festival, 2008

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:53:08 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:53:14 pm »

"So this is what it sounds like when doves cry"

Musical genius.
RIP
Prince.

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 02:33:44 am »

I didn't like a lot of what he did,  but this one was very good.

Purple Rain Prince AVI

Trivia: The song Purple Rain is part of the film score for the film with the same name in the year 1984, and which is meant to be loosely based on Prince's start as a musician. As such, the song was co-written by members of The Revolution. his music band. The song won an Oscar for "Best Original Song Score" (the award category doesn't exist any more).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:02:23 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 02:59:50 am »

Y'know, I've heard of Prince, I've known he was a music artist, that was about it. I've never consciously listened to any of his music, but that was really good. Thanks J. Wilhelm. Smiley
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 05:38:11 am »

Well, he was an extremely prolific writer. He was always recording. And while very eccentric and possessive about his intellectual property, he was also very generous in working with and teaching other musicians.

An interesting piece of trivia is that Prince collaborated with Stevie Nicks during her solo career, on the song "Stand Back." As the story goes, Stevie wrote the song during her honeymoon with Kim Anderson, after hearing Princes "Little Red Corvette." Later when Nicks recorded the song, she called Prince to tell him how she inspired to write Stand Back, and how she was entranced with the synthesizer sound he used for Little Red Corvette.  Upon hearing that, Prince paid her an impromptu visit that same night at her recording studio and he played the synthesizer sound for that original recording. Prince was never credited for that.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1608437/stevie-nicks-wants-to-work-with-timbaland-opens-up-about-collaborating-with-prince

Prince, "Little Red Corvette," 1982, Album: "1999"
Prince - Little Red Corvette (Music Video)

Stevie Nicks, "Stand Back," 1983, Album: "The Wild Heart"

Here's a list of a few more artists he collaborated with recently (the list is probably much longer). The recent collaborations include Amy Winehouse, and there are others such as Lenny Kravitz, Beyoncé, Sheena Easton, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and Madonna.

http://mashable.com/2016/04/21/prince-best-collaborations/#xAkVSGLxGmqm

Prince and Cee Lo at a recent concert in New York City

Prince & Cee Lo "Crazy" Live in NYC... amazing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:58:48 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 05:57:21 am »

"So this is what it sounds like when doves cry"

Musical genius.
RIP
Prince.

Why is it so hard to find the original videos on the net?  The quality of all is so poor compared to what I remember for all the videos above.

Here is the song you refer to:

Prince, "When Doves Cry",  Album"Purple Rain," 1984 / Movie Soundtrack: "Purple Rain," 1984

Prince - When Doves Cry - SAPO Vídeos

~ ~ ~

I found a semi-decent collection of Prince's hit songs from the early 80s through the early 90s.  The list is chronological save the last song which is Purple Rain - this song recording is clear enough to show the orchestral ending of the song which is a very nice arrangement.

Tidido Music - From the album The Hits 2, by Prince:
http://tidido.com/a35184372117695/al54071a4b196deee83f8de55b/t54080a66196dee357a8b9afa

The early songs, which I never heard, are very goofy, showing his New Wave side. After that you start hearing the first recognizable hits (Delirious, I Would Die 4 U). By 1983-5 he already was a very big name in MTV pop music videos for what he is known best (Little Red Corvette, Raspberry Beret, Purple Rain).  

He had a really wide range of styles, including funk (Sexy M. F.), classic Rock which reminds me of Robert Palmer's "addicted to love" videos featuring statuesque ladies (Peach, You Got the Look), and some strange music I heard once in a TV comedy show (Kiss) - which makes me smile. I wonder if Robert Palmer and Prince ever collaborates. It's too much of a coincidence. Too similar.

By the Early 1990s, you hear some interesting R&B (Do Me Baby), sometimes showing some big name supermodels in his videos of some interesting Hip Hop and Rap (Gett Off, Cream). By then he was being extremely cavalier and eccentric in his public presentation (award ceremonies) and started becoming much more of a private person - but never stopped recording - averaging one album per year for about 40 years in total.

Prince, "Cream." Album: Diamonds and Pears (1991)

Prince "Cream"

~  ~ ~

In the news:

Yesterday, Bruce Springsteen paid homage to Prince by opening his Brooklyn (New York) concert with a cover of Purple Rain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkOxeKA2WNE
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:23:17 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
CrazyLee
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:14:20 am »

Why is it so hard to find the original videos on the net?  The quality of all is so poor compared to what I remember for all the videos above.

I have heard rumors that he refused to have any of his music videos officially uploaded to streaming sites like Youtube. A disappointment, but I guess he was afraid of piracy or something. I find it amusing that now that he's dead, people are posting his videos online like crazy.

I grew up in the 80s so music like his was the stuff that was played on the radio and top 40 countdown (RIP CASEY KASEM!!! *tear*), so I did like his music.

The gears on the airship go round and round, round and round, round and round....
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 11:20:19 am »

I was not a lifelong devoted fan of Prince.

But three of his albums I regard as essential listening...for me at least.

I never saw him perform live.

The nearest I ever got was seeing Cyndi Lauper doing his 'When You Were Mine' live in London in 1983, 'The Bangles' doing his 'Manic Monday' live in London in 1986 and 'The Hollies' performing his 'Purple Rain' at the Royal Albert Hall in 1993.
It just proves that a great song can be performed in any number of styles by any number of artists.
The new Bruce Springsteen tribute version is a fine example.
Anyway, here's a recording of that version by 'The Hollies'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAr0nUzHEeg

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 07:13:56 pm »

An interesting story about prince (told by Kevin Smith):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7daZ0ptrk

Prince was an interesting guy, somewhat eccentric, but interesting non the less....

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 03:28:03 am »

An interesting story about prince (told by Kevin Smith):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7daZ0ptrk

Prince was an interesting guy, somewhat eccentric, but interesting non the less....

"Somewhat eccentric"?  Grin That's the understatement of the year  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: