The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 12:31:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 60287 times)
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #975 on: February 17, 2021, 01:59:41 am »

Well that seemed to work! (For me at least.)

Now the extension on the glasshouse - it all is a bit grotty because the old glasshouse needs to be emptied of plants so I can wash windows and spruce up the paint etc but I can't do that until I have a place for the plants to go, hence the new glasshouse (which will have to be cleaned and painted before the plants go in.)

Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #976 on: February 17, 2021, 02:08:00 am »

My dream cubbyhouse - made from recycled timber and whatever else we could scrounge for free on Gumtree. I even made a parquetry floor from recycled hardwood - cut it to size, glued it down, then sanded it, caulked the gaps with black gunge, sanded again then varnished it. Also painted everything and made the pillows and bunting for the inside. (the pictures better work now!)

That is very impressive. I especially like how you did the floor.
Question: Why is it raised on stilts? Do you live in area prone to flooding?
Or is the ground just perpetually soggy such that you can't have a concrete foundation/pad/slab on which to construct the building?
(Or maybe you just like the idea of a building on stilts....? Grin)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:14:03 am by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #977 on: February 17, 2021, 04:23:36 am »

Well, it is really a 'tree house', but I wouldn't let it be built against or in my beautiful big oak tree, so it had to go on stilts. The space underneath would also be useful to create a dungeon... Bwahahahaaaa!
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #978 on: February 17, 2021, 09:03:00 pm »

Well, it is really a 'tree house', but I wouldn't let it be built against or in my beautiful big oak tree, so it had to go on stilts. The space underneath would also be useful to create a dungeon... Bwahahahaaaa!

oooooo....the mysterious, cobweb-by, frightening crawlspace!  Shocked
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #979 on: February 17, 2021, 11:48:17 pm »

Oh, well done, Synistor! A lovely spot from which to plot your plots - and room for a dungeon!
Images are slow to load - did you reduce the size, or leave 'em as they came from the camera?
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #980 on: February 18, 2021, 03:44:33 am »

Oh, well done, Synistor! A lovely spot from which to plot your plots - and room for a dungeon!
Images are slow to load - did you reduce the size, or leave 'em as they came from the camera?

I'm sorry to say I left them as is... I had enough of a battle to get them into the image host thingy, then to figure out how to get them onto the forum. Next time I will make them smaller (if I can figure out how)...
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #981 on: February 18, 2021, 06:51:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #982 on: February 18, 2021, 08:07:35 am »

I'm sorry to say I left them as is... I had enough of a battle to get them into the image host thingy, then to figure out how to get them onto the forum. Next time I will make them smaller (if I can figure out how)...

In imgbb, hovver over the picture you want to post and you will see a panel appear on the right
click the box with an arrow EMBED CODES.
In the drop down box at the top select BBCode thumbnail linked
Hovver over the link shown and click copy.
In BG paste the link into your reply.

That gives you a clickable thumbnail to the full size picture.

Hope most of that makes sense........ Grin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:00:45 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #983 on: February 18, 2021, 11:32:22 am »

Makes sense to me!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #984 on: February 18, 2021, 10:08:01 pm »

NASA's Perseverance rover lands on Mars

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Ceir
Officer

« Reply #985 on: February 18, 2021, 10:12:07 pm »

Yes. Full Stop. I needed something good today, and I got a ^%#$(%@# Mars landing.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #986 on: February 19, 2021, 10:57:42 am »

Electrician visited. We now have a working phone socket in the lounge instead of our child's bedroom (so the modem is in a sensible place now), LED downlights throughout the house instead of halogens, and replaced the outdoor wiring a rat decided to eat in revenge for being kept out of the inner wallspace.

Next trick is to finally connect to the NBN, Australia's out-of-date attempt to run the phone network on something other than copper wires.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #987 on: February 19, 2021, 11:11:26 am »

Electrician visited. We now have a working phone socket in the lounge instead of our child's bedroom (so the modem is in a sensible place now), LED downlights throughout the house instead of halogens, and replaced the outdoor wiring a rat decided to eat in revenge for being kept out of the inner wallspace.

Next trick is to finally connect to the NBN, Australia's out-of-date attempt to run the phone network on something other than copper wires.

Sorontar

I can't get the NBN up here - it doesn't work to well in the mountains - unless I get a satellite dish, for satellite NBN! It was even difficult getting is to work properly in the towns around the lake, in the relative flat lands!
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #988 on: February 19, 2021, 01:14:47 pm »

I can't get the NBN up here - it doesn't work to well in the mountains ....

You live in the mountains? How cool (literally Grin).
What elevation? 
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #989 on: February 20, 2021, 12:48:58 pm »

My Brother does research on our family tree and has found some interesting things over the last 30 years, he just sent me a picture of my Great Great Grandad's police report he found online recently. Dated 1907.
clicky-click.....

Drunk and Incapable........ Now I know where I get it from......... Grin      Hic!

I hope I managed to white out the surname and address, this is an open forum afterall.  Tongue

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 01:07:59 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #990 on: February 20, 2021, 11:53:15 pm »

My Brother does research on our family tree and has found some interesting things over the last 30 years, he just sent me a picture of my Great Great Grandad's police report he found online recently. Dated 1907.
clicky-click.....

Drunk and Incapable........ Now I know where I get it from......... Grin      Hic!

I hope I managed to white out the surname and address, this is an open forum after all.  Tongue

It used to be that a convict ancestor was a badge of shame here - now most of us with the odd convict ancestor wear our convict past as a badge of honour, myself included! Even among convicts there was a hierarchy - Irish, Catholic, rebel, and convict - go to the bottom of the heap in ultimate shame!!
The records in Ireland show a few more venial sins, Drunk and Disorderly among them, and burning down a police station!
FallenFantasy174
Swab

Scotland Scotland

« Reply #991 on: March 02, 2021, 01:26:09 pm »

I have boxes. I finally have boxes large enough to store all my fabric in and keep it away from the mice. I've been wanting boxes since last spring but haven't been near a large enough supermarket until now. I have boxes. I'm happy.  Wink
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #992 on: March 02, 2021, 01:55:06 pm »

I have boxes. I finally have boxes large enough to store all my fabric in and keep it away from the mice. I've been wanting boxes since last spring but haven't been near a large enough supermarket until now. I have boxes. I'm happy.  Wink

Well obviously the next thing to do is buy more fabric  Cheesy

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #993 on: March 02, 2021, 10:08:33 pm »

I have boxes. I finally have boxes large enough to store all my fabric in and keep it away from the mice. I've been wanting boxes since last spring but haven't been near a large enough supermarket until now. I have boxes. I'm happy.  Wink

Not cardboard boxes, I hope - the mice will make short work of them! I don't have mice (I have a couple of cats!), but stuff for long-term storage goes into stackable plastic storage boxes, with watertight lids! The can also double up as cat towers! Grin
FallenFantasy174
Swab

Scotland Scotland

« Reply #994 on: March 02, 2021, 11:26:50 pm »

Well obviously the next thing to do is buy more fabric  Cheesy

I don't actually get through my fabric as it is, for little hand sewn things yes but I keep falling out with my singer. But it's nice to know it's safe for when I do finally learn how to use a sewing machine properly.

Not cardboard boxes, I hope - the mice will make short work of them! I don't have mice (I have a couple of cats!), but stuff for long-term storage goes into stackable plastic storage boxes, with watertight lids! The can also double up as cat towers! Grin

Plastic boxes I'm glad to say, with tight lids. My cat does sometimes go after the mice but she much prefers voles and rare birds.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #995 on: March 03, 2021, 12:29:17 pm »

I don't actually get through my fabric as it is, for little hand sewn things yes but I keep falling out with my singer. But it's nice to know it's safe for when I do finally learn how to use a sewing machine properly.

Good heavens, is one supposed to use it up before purchasing more (what, all of it)?
Not just gloat over it (oooh the lovely textures and patterns ...)?
While planning what one is going to do with it, (when one has invented the tardis wardrobe for garment storage of course)?
I could have been doing something wrong all these years!

[Whispers: Please do not mention this to my husband]
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #996 on: March 03, 2021, 11:57:12 pm »

Good heavens, is one supposed to use it up before purchasing more (what, all of it)?
While planning what one is going to do with it, (when one has invented the tardis wardrobe for garment storage of course)?

I'm imagining a quilted dragon resting on it's fabric hoard.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #997 on: March 04, 2021, 01:33:48 am »

Rovingjack, that is the BEST description of how we sewing people feel about out fabric hoards!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #998 on: March 05, 2021, 12:16:18 am »

rovingjack, that is just beautiful! Poetic and sooo descriptive! I have little "hoards" for different handy projects, and sometimes I just sit and gloat over them - shiny beads are good for gloating over, and guardian dragons just love shiny!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: