The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 17, 2021, 11:02:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 58473 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #925 on: January 10, 2021, 09:12:20 pm »

Happy Sunday Everyone!

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #926 on: January 11, 2021, 12:15:25 am »

Oooh, nice snow!
Going to be mid to high 30sC today, and for the rest of the week, pretty much - sigh!
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #927 on: January 11, 2021, 03:17:42 am »

Happy Sunday Everyone!

So it snowed in Austin? Pretty amazing Shocked

(Not as amazing as it snowing in Phoenix, but still  [I take it] pretty unusual.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 03:19:31 am by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #928 on: January 11, 2021, 06:10:40 am »

That cool change is coming, Banfili only a few more hours to go...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #929 on: January 11, 2021, 06:51:52 am »

Oooh, nice snow!

We got hit with snow for a good number of hours in Austin and in Dallas (which usually is colder than Austin, and more common to see snow there, but this winter we were slightly cooler)

Going to be mid to high 30sC today, and for the rest of the week, pretty much - sigh!
Here it was in the low 30's... Fahrenheit  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #930 on: January 11, 2021, 06:57:34 am »

Happy Sunday Everyone!

So it snowed in Austin? Pretty amazing Shocked

(Not as amazing as it snowing in Phoenix, but still  [I take it] pretty unusual.)

It was normal for Austin to get at lest one snow flurry every winter. The trend waned down in the last 20 years. Back in the early 80's when I'd come visit every year it would be at least one week of snow flurries and even two in extreme winters! Winters were much colder 40 years ago. Weeks of snow generally stopped after the 1990s, and went missing altogether in some years after 2000 (in 2001 it was near 70 F in the middle of January!!), with snow making it's appearance only about 3 - 4 times since. What we had a lot of in the 1990s-2000s was black ice. Giant sheets of ice on the roads in December and January. That also died down in the 2010s.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:02:08 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #931 on: January 12, 2021, 06:50:50 am »

Woohoo! I managed to get my old Linux box stable again with a brand new operating system. I was dogged by my old motherboard which is limited to 4 GB, and I only have two sticks of 1 GB. Ot;s incredibly difficult to get *functioning* sticks of RAM that age (you can try Neweggm but they sell you lots of 10 sticks for an arm and a leg, and only a few will work if at all).  Between the RAM hogging web browsers and the Ubuntu "Unity" desktop environment, there was no RAM left to do anything. All web browsers would crash after just a 1/2 hr of use (Mozilla like many others just accumulate RAM usage and neber yield it back until you close the app). I could never upgrade beyond Ubuntu 14 due to that reason. I was stuck without being able top upgrade apps, and one by one updates started failing.

So I got the next best thing, Mint Linux, which is based on Debian and Ubuntu, but gives you a choice of desktop environments. Downgrading to Xfce Desktop released a whole bunch of memory that can now be used by the apps and the browser, rendering my PC stable again. I could have re-built the operating system by hand by pairing down another generic distribution, but I haven't done that since the days of Slackware in the early 2000s. I would have to rely in compiling my applications isntead of using .deb repositories...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #932 on: January 12, 2021, 11:39:27 pm »

Why not just spend a few hundred on a new machine?
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #933 on: January 13, 2021, 12:52:03 am »

Got my hat, got my goggles and got all the bits and pieces needed to modify/make them into something Steampunk. Now on hot days I have something interesting to work on inside. Yay!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #934 on: January 13, 2021, 01:47:32 am »

Why not just spend a few hundred on a new machine?

I would if I had the money. You know, pandemic and all that good stuff? I'm surviving on 50% income!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #935 on: January 13, 2021, 08:15:00 am »

This could be equally in the Gaah! thread or this thread depending on your point of view.

Scientists believe that soon this winter we will experience another polar vortex. This time split in two parts, one for North America, and one for Europe. Perhaps a lot more snow is on the way....

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2021/01/the-polar-vortex-is-coming-raising-odds-for-intense-winter-weather/
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #936 on: January 13, 2021, 08:22:47 pm »

Got my hat, got my goggles and got all the bits and pieces needed to modify/make them into something Steampunk. Now on hot days I have something interesting to work on inside. Yay!

Excellent, my dear Synistor, truly excellent. I do hope you enjoy yourself, no, I'm sure you will  Smiley

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #937 on: January 15, 2021, 07:56:03 am »

Woohoo! I managed to get my old Linux box stable again with a brand new operating system. I was dogged by my old motherboard which is limited to 4 GB, and I only have two sticks of 1 GB. Ot;s incredibly difficult to get *functioning* sticks of RAM that age (you can try Neweggm but they sell you lots of 10 sticks for an arm and a leg, and only a few will work if at all).  Between the RAM hogging web browsers and the Ubuntu "Unity" desktop environment, there was no RAM left to do anything. All web browsers would crash after just a 1/2 hr of use (Mozilla like many others just accumulate RAM usage and neber yield it back until you close the app). I could never upgrade beyond Ubuntu 14 due to that reason. I was stuck without being able top upgrade apps, and one by one updates started failing.

So I got the next best thing, Mint Linux, which is based on Debian and Ubuntu, but gives you a choice of desktop environments. Downgrading to Xfce Desktop released a whole bunch of memory that can now be used by the apps and the browser, rendering my PC stable again. I could have re-built the operating system by hand by pairing down another generic distribution, but I haven't done that since the days of Slackware in the early 2000s. I would have to rely in compiling my applications isntead of using .deb repositories...
Any idea how well Mint/Xfce plays with touchscreens? My employer is red-tagging a bunch of Atom-based industrial all-in-ones, and I could use one in my kitchen.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #938 on: January 15, 2021, 08:55:03 am »

Woohoo! I managed to get my old Linux box stable again with a brand new operating system. I was dogged by my old motherboard which is limited to 4 GB, and I only have two sticks of 1 GB. Ot;s incredibly difficult to get *functioning* sticks of RAM that age (you can try Neweggm but they sell you lots of 10 sticks for an arm and a leg, and only a few will work if at all).  Between the RAM hogging web browsers and the Ubuntu "Unity" desktop environment, there was no RAM left to do anything. All web browsers would crash after just a 1/2 hr of use (Mozilla like many others just accumulate RAM usage and neber yield it back until you close the app). I could never upgrade beyond Ubuntu 14 due to that reason. I was stuck without being able top upgrade apps, and one by one updates started failing.

Any idea how well Mint/Xfce plays with touchscreens? My employer is red-tagging a bunch of Atom-based industrial all-in-ones, and I could use one in my kitchen.

I don't know to be honest. My issues were RAM related and not speed related, and Mint Linux is considered a full Desktop size distribution. It's worth a try - and it takes very little time to install; I am running a Dual Core AMD Athlon 64, 5000, and I've never used Atom, but my take is that Intel Atom is not even in the same level as AMD Athlon, and might take longer to install and I know it will definitely be slower when running.

Mint Linux really is an Ubuntu clone just with more options for Desktop environment because Ubuntu likes to use its heavy-handed Unity Desktop Environment and part of the software packages include touchscreen support. But that support is not exclusive to Unity if I understand correctly.  I don't expect Mint to be any different from Ubu in touchscreen support - they're the same packages for all 3 of their desktop environments (Xfce, a Gnome derivative and a fancy custom Unity like environment). Even if you pair down Ubuntu down to Gnome and Mint to down to Xfce, the touchscreen software is probably the same for all.

In my opinion Ubu's Unity, sucks at what touchscreen support they offered which came through official repositories 5 years ago... and it was shaky to say the least...  I wasn't too happy when I last installed a touchscreen on Ubuntu 12 and 14 (screen mapping issues), but I know Ubuntu has been has been done on tablets for sure since the start of Unity.  In spite of advertisement, I don't think that Ubuntu was ever really meant for tablets so I never found acceptable software.

On the other hand if you can make Mint work on Atom, it's faster than compiling your own touchscreen software. This is the kind of thing that gets better with time. One year you can't find any good software, and the next some geeks solved the problem altogether and it's found everywhere. Either way it's an issue with whatever you can find in Ubu/Mint .deb repositories or if you can find something interesting to compile from code. like found in Sourceforge or the like.

IMO Ubuntu and Mint are too big for Atom. You might want to look at another derivative of Debian that has already been  prepped for tablets and touchscreens like Point of Sale systems, instead of trying to pair down Mint on your own. Start by searching for compact distributions here:

https://distrowatch.com/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:16:45 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #939 on: January 15, 2021, 09:03:14 am »

My dog, who has been staying with a friend for the past 2-3 months, is coming home on Sunday! Yay! I hope she still loves me :-(
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #940 on: January 15, 2021, 10:06:09 am »

My dog, who has been staying with a friend for the past 2-3 months, is coming home on Sunday! Yay! I hope she still loves me :-(

Dogs have long memories....have you never seen the videos of a dog welcoming the military spouse/partner who has been deployed overseas for a year (or more)?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #941 on: January 15, 2021, 11:05:59 am »

Dogs have long memories....have you never seen the videos of a dog welcoming the military spouse/partner who has been deployed overseas for a year (or more)?

Also dogs have no sense of time. Our dog is as exited to see one of us walking in even if we left just 5 minutes ago or 5 months ago!  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: