The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 17, 2021, 09:30:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 58472 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #900 on: December 13, 2020, 12:59:33 pm »

My fourth great-nephew was born early this morning, a bit early, but fit and healthy!! Mum and bub both doing well - and what a lovely Christmas present!
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #901 on: December 13, 2020, 02:21:37 pm »

Congrats Banfili, one more Crimbo and Birthday present for you to buy  Grin

My Happy today, I finally got a wall light I've been working on for while now, with added Central Heating indicator neon up, fixed and working with no hassle and no electric shocks!....... The only problem, not sure if I like it atm. Undecided 

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #902 on: December 13, 2020, 02:50:16 pm »

Congatulations to you and your greater family Banfili.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:06:14 am by Sorontar » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #903 on: December 14, 2020, 05:24:45 am »

Thank you, all! Means Christmas at home for me this year, as proud grandparents will be off to Melbourne for the festivities. Good plan, actually, as it's about time I had a Christmas at home alone!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #904 on: December 29, 2020, 11:49:18 am »

Yay, it snowed last night.   Grin Grin Grin

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #905 on: December 29, 2020, 12:42:06 pm »

Yay, it snowed last night.   Grin Grin Grin
A rare chance in the UK to embrace the inner child that lurks subdued in all of us methinks. Release, go frolic and enjoy!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #906 on: December 29, 2020, 01:28:53 pm »

Alas ours has turned to nasty ice where it's still lying, but it was nice to look out on it for a while.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #907 on: January 01, 2021, 01:24:25 am »

It's snowing yet again, started about 10 mins. past midnight.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #908 on: January 01, 2021, 01:48:36 am »

No snow in the low deserts of AZ...clear, no wind... will probably be around 5C at midnight

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #909 on: January 01, 2021, 01:09:52 pm »

The New Years Day Concert from Vienna
Now I know we're in 2021 Smiley
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #910 on: January 03, 2021, 12:59:54 pm »

Despite what most people may imagine, it doesn’t happen that often, and rarely in the city but a kangaroo hopped down our street this morning while we were eating breakfast. Happy New Year from Australia, eh?
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #911 on: January 03, 2021, 03:33:56 pm »

Despite what most people may imagine, it doesn’t happen that often, and rarely in the city but a kangaroo hopped down our street this morning while we were eating breakfast. Happy New Year from Australia, eh?

So you want to shoot all the deer but get happy when a Roo bounces about? I'm slightly confused by the duality, but I would be happy to have any wildlife in my street or garden, apart from wood pigeons and fricken' cats, although I did have sparrowhawk snoozing next to my pond last year which did make my day. Cool
My confounding duality is ....... I love animals, but I really have a thing for taxidermy, all sourced from responsible dealers, either road kill, natural death, hill finds, culls etc or pre CITES or with an A10.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:04:22 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #912 on: January 03, 2021, 11:21:57 pm »

Saw a hummingbird yesterday and today. I have several large shrubs (Cordia boissieri aka Texax olive/Mexican olive/anacahuita) with white flowers that attract them.
Can't tell if it's the same one, but it is not uncommom for the same hummingbird(s)to show up.

Very cool...nature's hovercrafts. (Stock photo)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:44:11 am by Deimos » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #913 on: January 04, 2021, 07:58:10 am »

Saw a hummingbird yesterday and today. I have several large shrubs (Cordia boissieri aka Texax olive/Mexican olive/anacahuita) with white flowers that attract them.
Can't tell if it's the same one, but it is not uncommom for the same hummingbird(s)to show up.

My Brother lives in Texas and often hand feeds them.

HUMMINGBIRD HAND FEEDING

Hand-feeding Hummingbirds
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:14:40 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #914 on: January 04, 2021, 08:44:06 am »

HUMMINGBIRD HAND FEEDING

omg,, that is so very cool .... I will have to try that.
I guess one has to be very still for quite some time....
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #915 on: January 04, 2021, 08:54:37 am »

HUMMINGBIRD HAND FEEDING

omg,, that is so very cool .... I will have to try that.
I guess one has to be very still for quite some time....
4 parts water 1 part sugar boiled and left to cool.
I would start with a feeder left around the bush, once they get used to that, remove the feeder and try the solution in a small brightly coloured container in the palm of your hand. Patience is required.
Best of luck!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #916 on: January 04, 2021, 08:34:09 pm »

those little guys have no fear.  I have had them start to feed while I was still carrying the re-filled feeder out to its hook.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #917 on: January 04, 2021, 09:29:25 pm »

those little guys have no fear.  I have had them start to feed while I was still carrying the re-filled feeder out to its hook.
There are hummingbirds in Canada!?

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #918 on: January 04, 2021, 11:37:40 pm »

So you want to shoot all the deer but get happy when a Roo bounces about? I'm slightly confused by the duality, but I would be happy to have any wildlife in my street or garden, apart from wood pigeons and fricken' cats, although I did have sparrowhawk snoozing next to my pond last year which did make my day. Cool
My confounding duality is ....... I love animals, but I really have a thing for taxidermy, all sourced from responsible dealers, either road kill, natural death, hill finds, culls etc or pre CITES or with an A10.

Deer are not native to Australia and are doing some very serious damage to the fragile Australian environment, as well as competing directly with kangaroos, wallabies, wombats etc. I would be quite happy to see the deer rounded up and shipped back to their country of origin, along with rabbits, foxes, camels, donkeys, cane toads, starlings, sparrows and buffalo, but since that is unlikely to ever happen, the cheapest and most humane way to get rid of our feral animal problem (before they destroy more native habitat and drive more native animals to extinction) is to shoot them.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #919 on: January 05, 2021, 04:12:11 am »

those little guys have no fear.  I have had them start to feed while I was still carrying the re-filled feeder out to its hook.
There are hummingbirds in Canada!?

All over the continent. North and South...

Wiki
Hummingbirds are birds native to the Americas and constituting the biological family Trochilidae. They are the smallest of birds, most ...

Hummingbirds are restricted to the Americas from south central Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, including the Caribbean. The majority of species occur in tropical and subtropical Central and South America, but several species also breed in temperate climates and some hillstars occur even in alpine Andean highlands at altitudes up to 5,200 metres (17,100 ft).[106]

The greatest species richness is in humid tropical and subtropical forests of the northern Andes and adjacent foothills, but the number of species found in the Atlantic Forest, Central America or southern Mexico also far exceeds the number found in southern South America, the Caribbean islands, the United States, and Canada. While fewer than 25 different species of hummingbirds have been recorded from the United States and fewer than 10 from Canada and Chile each,[107] Colombia alone has more than 160[108] and the comparably small Ecuador has about 130 species.[109]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 04:14:34 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #920 on: January 05, 2021, 09:38:35 am »

Deer are not native to Australia and are doing some very serious damage to the fragile Australian environment, as well as competing directly with kangaroos, wallabies, wombats etc. I would be quite happy to see the deer rounded up and shipped back to their country of origin, along with rabbits, foxes, camels, donkeys, cane toads, starlings, sparrows and buffalo, but since that is unlikely to ever happen, the cheapest and most humane way to get rid of our feral animal problem (before they destroy more native habitat and drive more native animals to extinction) is to shoot them.
Fair enough, I can't really argue with that, I wrongly thought they were indigenous, my mistake and I apologize for my somewhat apparent ignorance.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:08:55 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #921 on: January 05, 2021, 04:34:05 pm »

Any word on the safety of the venison for human consumption?

Somebody on Twitter said she was offered 8 venison legs, to which I replied : "8 legs? Don't buy! That's no venison! Those are Sleipnir legs. Odin will curse you!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 04:37:52 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #922 on: January 06, 2021, 03:44:29 am »

Thankfully Australia does not have trichinosis, so eating game or wild meat in Australia is completely safe. Also pork. And wild pigs.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #923 on: January 06, 2021, 06:06:59 am »

Thankfully Australia does not have trichinosis, so eating game or wild meat in Australia is completely safe. Also pork. And wild pigs.

We also have a very large wild hog population. It's the Lyme disease carried by the deer and the rabies transmitted from bats and raccoons which is a problem. The meat will simply not be certified. You have to buy it from private hands. In other states like neighboring New Mexico that is not so much of an issue.

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/index.html
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #924 on: January 06, 2021, 06:46:41 am »

I know this thread is supposed to be about positive things, but Australia also has a wild horse (or brumbies) problem in the mountains on the Victoria/NSW border. They are not native. How to deal with them is a big debate between the two states, environmentalists, farmers, and animal activists. Either shooting or relocating them are generally the options given but 1) they are in mountains so they are hard to get to 2) they move between the two states, state forests/national parks and farms, so the rules keep changing. There is no simple solution.

Sorontar
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: