The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 03, 2021, 10:15:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 60097 times)
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #825 on: August 26, 2020, 07:40:58 pm »

Finally home today after an "overnight" hospital visit that turned into a 20 day hospital visit, with an extra operation on my foot & ankle tossed in for good measure!! Now trying to thaw out my feet as it is bloody freezing here, and I hate cold feet! There's been snow t low levels, freezing rain, hail and gale force winds - real Antarctic blast!

Can't even put a bedsock on the operated on foot, as I have pins and bits of metal poking out everywhere!

But, glad to be home with my 2 cats (the dog is on 'holidays' until all the metalwork comes out at the end of September) and int my own bed again!
With what has been going on recently, I have been a little distracted, belated back home thoughts are with you, hope you are now a little more comfortable and healing with no pain.

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #826 on: August 27, 2020, 02:59:26 am »

My dear old somewhat slightly batty mum has always sung Happy Birthday to me every year on the day.
So, I just got a phone call and had to listen to it once again, bless her.
I said, mum, I'm 56, isn't it about time you stopped?
Her reply....... Never!, not whilst I still have breath.
So that's me told then.  Grin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCGwHMB9eR8

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #827 on: August 28, 2020, 01:26:43 am »

Post-op follow up with ortho yesterday. Even better news than getting home - my preferred date for removal of all framework and pins accepted and booked in for 17th September - only another 20 days in this contraption!!
YAY!!
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #828 on: August 28, 2020, 01:54:47 am »

Post-op follow up with ortho yesterday. Even better news than getting home - my preferred date for removal of all framework and pins accepted and booked in for 17th September - only another 20 days in this contraption!!
YAY!!

Glad to hear you are on the mend and going to have the mechanical parts removed soon...well, pretty soon.
(And, I assume, shall once again have affectionate company of your dog).
My  "framework" is all permanently integrated into my cervical and lumbar spine.  Grin

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

too depressed for words

« Reply #829 on: August 28, 2020, 02:22:01 am »

My dear old somewhat slightly batty mum has always sung Happy Birthday to me every year on the day.
So, I just got a phone call and had to listen to it once again, bless her.
I said, mum, I'm 56, isn't it about time you stopped?
Her reply....... Never!, not whilst I still have breath.
So that's me told then.  Grin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCGwHMB9eR8

I my Good SeVeNeVeS ....
that did not work out quite right... something glitched

It was SUPPOSED to be a song and dance rendition of "Hippo Birdie Two Ewe" .....

belated birthday wishes

-----------------

My Good Banfili-
congrats on the good news! more healing being sent to you via the ether....

yhs
prof marvel
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #830 on: August 28, 2020, 07:22:52 am »

Cheers Prof!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #831 on: August 29, 2020, 09:07:52 am »

YAY!!

Glad to hear you are on the mend and going to have the mechanical parts removed soon...well, pretty soon.
(And, I assume, shall once again have affectionate company of your dog).
My  "framework" is all permanently integrated into my cervical and lumbar spine.  Grin

My permanent internal metalwork is in three places: titanium patch under my left eye, stainless steel plate & screws in right fibular, and 3 screws in right forefoot.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #832 on: August 29, 2020, 05:11:56 pm »

My permanent internal metalwork is in three places: titanium patch under my left eye, stainless steel plate & screws in right fibular, and 3 screws in right forefoot.

Titanium won't do it--mine is all titanium--but should you ever travel by air the SS will have the security scanners going off like a 3-alarm fire  Grin
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:35:44 pm by Deimos » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #833 on: August 30, 2020, 12:02:34 pm »

Was there no upgrade to brass available?

;-)

SCNR

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #834 on: August 30, 2020, 12:59:31 pm »

So, cyborgs then, only a matter of time before the Borg become reality, Elon Musk has already started brain to machine connectivity with a pig, science fiction is becoming reality, welcome to the collective.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #835 on: August 30, 2020, 01:04:59 pm »

Don't forget the end of Animal Farm, where the pigs eat dinner with the farmers, and the other animals cannot tell the difference between the two.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #836 on: September 01, 2020, 01:55:40 pm »

Capsicum is what you would call a Bell Pepper. Other 'hot' peppers are, generically, chillies, of any variety. Capsicums come in red/orange, yellow and green. Red/orange and yellow are particularly sweet, the green ones not so sweet. Used in salads, soups, stews and, of course, stir fry!
Thank you. I have an Australian Thai cookbook that keeps calling for "capsicum", for which I've been using jalapeños.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #837 on: September 01, 2020, 03:28:22 pm »

Was there no upgrade to brass available?

;-)

SCNR

HAHA...great question! At the time, I wasn't too involved in Steampunk, so I didn't think to ask.
But now that I have the time, I'm going to look into having both sections of hardware (lumbar and neck)  replaced with brass and copper (brass screws  and bolts,  and copper rods and plates).
THanks for the suggestion!  Grin
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #838 on: September 01, 2020, 03:36:53 pm »

Capsicum is what you would call a Bell Pepper. Other 'hot' peppers are, generically, chillies, of any variety. Capsicums come in red/orange, yellow and green. Red/orange and yellow are particularly sweet, the green ones not so sweet. Used in salads, soups, stews and, of course, stir fry!
Thank you. I have an Australian Thai cookbook that keeps calling for "capsicum", for which I've been using jalapeños.
If you want to really set your mouth and throat on fire try using serrano peppers...five times hotter than jalapeños.
Also (if you didn't already know this) heating any peppers on the stove, or roasting/grilling them reduces the hotness.        
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #839 on: September 01, 2020, 07:39:06 pm »

If you want to really set your mouth and throat on fire try using serrano peppers...five times hotter than jalapeños.
Also (if you didn't already know this) heating any peppers on the stove, or roasting/grilling them reduces the hotness.        
As does removing the seeds and placenta (the white strips down the inside of a chilli). That's where most of the heat is.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #840 on: September 01, 2020, 08:20:36 pm »

As does removing the seeds and placenta (the white strips down the inside of a chilli). That's where most of the heat is.

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that (about removing the seeds and white part).
I always do that almost without thinking...no seeds allowed! ... and I don't go any hotter than jalapeños.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #841 on: September 02, 2020, 02:24:48 am »

So pathetic... removing the seeds and the veins. Humph!  Roll Eyes  Grin

My complaint is that American version of several culinary-useful peppers like Serranos and Poblanos don't really have any heat compared to the ones you can get South of the Border. US Poblanos don't have any heat at all. Might as well call Poblanos, the "small dark Bell peppers"- but these are meant to be half as hot as Jalapeños comparable to Chipotle. US Serranos are more decent -  but still low on the heat vs their southern cousin, I don't know why - and if you can get them. Jalapeños are the only heat-worthy peppers people know how to eat around these Texican lands.

I tried making a Chile Relleno (my own version combining the stuffed Poblano with a puff pastry instead of the tempura-like coat... Great taste, no heat.

The original article

I made these yesterday, Chipotle-Adobo BBQ meatballs*. A tradition from the mountain City of Puebla neat CDMX. It's traditional to serve them as a stew with beans for breakfast, and in modern times as a sandwich made with a Baguette-like Telera bread.

Over pasta

The traditional way to eat them in Toluca in a cold morning at 8730 ft of altitude

*Chipotle is basically a dried, roasted, and often cured Jalapeño, often in a BBQ sauce called Adobo, made from the same peppers - heat is about 2/3 the same as a raw Jalapeño
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:28:16 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #842 on: September 02, 2020, 02:48:03 am »

But Thai cuisine can be quite hot. I love Thai cuisine, I just don't remember much Bell Pepper in it...
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #843 on: September 02, 2020, 03:04:24 am »

My complaint is that American version of several culinary-useful peppers like Serranos and Poblanos don't really have any heat compared to the ones you can get South of the Border. US Poblanos don't have any heat at all. Might as well call Poblanos, the "small dark Bell peppers"- but these are meant to be half as hot as Jalapeños comparable to Chipotle. US Serranos are more decent -  but still low on the heat vs their southern cousin, I don't know why - and if you can get them. Jalapeños are the only heat-worthy peppers people know how to eat around these Texican lands.

I tried making a Chile Relleno (my own version combining the stuffed Poblano with a puff pastry instead of the tempura-like coat... Great taste, no heat.

I grew up in the midwest  in the 50s and 60s.

Culinary favorites were canned broccoli boiled to a greyish O.D. green, creamed [insert canned vegetable of your choice], steak cooked well done and then drowned in ketchup/steak sauce, spaghetti was (you guessed it) Chef Boy-Ar-Dee,  salads of iceberg lettuce drowned in Thousand Island dressing, the famous (or infamous) Jello molds with fruit cocktail  ....need I go on?
Oh, and "Chips and Salsa" was Fritos and ...oh, wait we didn't have C&S, just Fritos, altho' a step in the right direction was graduating to regular Doritos.

I went back on vacation ("holiday'') over the years and found they had discovered "Cinco de Mayo" (Mayo pronounced as in "mayonnaise") and would have quesadillas (pronounced kwesadillas, with the double L pronounced the regular English way).
But Chips and Salsa is still Doritos and god-knows-what for salsa (and I don't want to know.)
And when you mention hot peppers they still think you mean bell peppers.

That I eat even seeded Jalapeños should tell you how far I have come from "mid-western" fare.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #844 on: September 02, 2020, 03:19:22 am »

I grew up in the midwest  in the 50s and 60s.

Culinary favorites were canned broccoli boiled to a greyish O.D. green, creamed [insert canned vegetable of your choice], steak cooked well done and then drowned in ketchup/steak sauce, spaghetti was (you guessed it) Chef Boy-Ar-Dee,  salads of iceberg lettuce drowned in Thousand Island dressing, the famous (or infamous) Jello molds with fruit cocktail  ....need I go on?
Oh, and "Chips and Salsa" was Fritos and ...oh, wait we didn't have C&S, just Fritos, altho' a step in the right direction was graduating to regular Doritos.

I went back on vacation ("holiday'') over the years and found they had discovered "Cinco de Mayo" (Mayo pronounced as in "mayonnaise") and would have quesadillas (pronounced kwesadillas, with the double L pronounced the regular English way).
But Chips and Salsa is still Doritos and god-knows-what for salsa (and I don't want to know.)
And when you mention hot peppers they still think you mean bell peppers.

That I eat even seeded Jalapeños should tell you how far I have come from "mid-western" fare.

Its forgivable in the Mid West though, I'm not too harsh. But it's unforgivable in the border states.  There was still enough by the 20th. C to fill a cookbook, I think. But all things being equal, to be honest, the 20th. C is the culinary equivalent of the dark ages when it comes to Southwest - Mexican food. After the start of the 19th. C. the sparse Mexican population was dispersed away and diluted as the United States took over. Hence culture was diluted too. And by consequence food as well. By the time Tex Mex became a thing in the US, very little remained save for places with significant Mexican population in border state. Combined with marketing, Mexican food became known around the world as part of the Atomic Age. You know, the canned processed cheese variety. 

Mexican culture was extremely diluted in the northern New Spain's territories to begin with. So it's not like culture was very "strong." A lack of ingredients due to weather, means that food in northern provinces of New Spain had to be different anyway from say anywhere else in Mexico.  Like "Chili con Carne" and California Mission Style buildings, these are variations that while technically Mexican (just because they were part of the territory before Texas' independence and the Mexican Am. war), they really are American *through and through* on the grounds these are regional variations of the culture in the Southwest of the US.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #845 on: September 03, 2020, 07:11:54 pm »

First day in the office in.... nearly six months.  So nice just to have a small taste of something approaching normality.... next measured dose of it is next week....

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #846 on: September 04, 2020, 01:20:58 am »

Approval to remove my metal succubus has been received early, so procedure will go ahead on the 17th as planned! 13 days, but who's counting!!!
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #847 on: September 04, 2020, 04:53:46 am »

Approval to remove my metal succubus has been received early, so procedure will go ahead on the 17th as planned! 13 days, but who's counting!!!
HA! I know someone who is not only counting the days, but can probably tell you how long she has yet to go right down to the second, or even micro-second or nano-second.Grin
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 04:55:19 am by Deimos » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

too depressed for words

« Reply #848 on: September 04, 2020, 10:36:48 am »

Approval to remove my metal succubus.....

Ahhhh ... My Good Banfili - I am quite certain you know how that sounds when said out loud....

other than that - Good For You!

yhs
prof marvel

ps - I just had to go look it up.... and found these

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/5860781-heavy-metal-succubus

https://www.threadless.com/designs/heavy-metal-succubus

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 10:40:22 am by Prof Marvel » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #849 on: September 04, 2020, 11:07:13 am »

Approval to remove my metal succubus.....

Ahhhh ... My Good Banfili - I am quite certain you know how that sounds when said out loud....

other than that - Good For You!

yhs
prof marvel

ps - I just had to go look it up.... and found these

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/5860781-heavy-metal-succubus

https://www.threadless.com/designs/heavy-metal-succubus

Reminded me of ...... NSFW Dorian Cleavenger    Undecided
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:27:05 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: