The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 03, 2020, 10:19:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 50082 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #775 on: May 07, 2020, 12:06:13 am »

Get sunsets like that here, too -even more so if there has been a bit of dust around.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #776 on: May 07, 2020, 12:33:31 am »

Get sunsets like that here, too -even more so if there has been a bit of dust around.

'Zactly....  we get our best ones during monsoon (July -Sept) when the dust gets kicked up.

But not this much dust....  Wall of Dust hits Phoenix-2011
And a more recent one Another Wall of Dust hits Phoenix-2018

That much dust tends to obscure sun, sky, streetlights and even the house next door.  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:22:47 am by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #777 on: May 07, 2020, 07:07:35 am »

Happy: BG was not accessible from Germany for weeks. Not I´m back!!!

I wanted to tidy up a bit.

Then I found my oldest Tesla Coil (built during my time at university).
I just had to test it.

Sparks are about 10 to 15 cm long.
(my "big un" does 80+ cm)

A Neon tube held at 2m distance will light up completely.

Of course there was no time left to tidy up that room.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #778 on: May 07, 2020, 08:45:50 am »

Too dangerous for the likes of me!

BTW welcome back, glad you sorted out the no access troubles.

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #779 on: May 07, 2020, 10:39:08 am »

I appear to be the only person on our whole street who remembered that today was Thursday (bin day).

It is a very rare event indeed when I'm the most aware/efficient person in any group!

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #780 on: May 07, 2020, 10:57:18 am »

... and then there's this  Grin Grin Grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gCWOb7V-b0
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #781 on: May 08, 2020, 02:01:27 am »

....and this.... Grin Grin Grin Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8u_P0KP0qk
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #782 on: May 08, 2020, 04:49:31 pm »

After months of pondering and planning, finally had the time to re-think and actually do an 180l sump on my fish tank. Flow rates are spot on, power out test fine. All a little Heath Robinson atm, I used what I had in the house, some new hoses and bits on order........ It works!  Cool
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #783 on: May 16, 2020, 04:59:09 pm »

Wonderful to see that people here have enough sense to keep the numbers down: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/uk-freedom-movement-protests-flop-18262551?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #784 on: May 16, 2020, 06:12:44 pm »

Wonderful to see that people here have enough sense to keep the numbers down: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/uk-freedom-movement-protests-flop-18262551?

Does it count as a mass gathering if no-one turns up?  Cheesy

Seriously though, good show everyone. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #785 on: May 16, 2020, 06:30:55 pm »

Does it count as an inauguration if no-one turns up?  Cheesy

Seriously though, good no-show everyone. 
Fixed that for you  Wink
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #786 on: May 16, 2020, 08:57:21 pm »

I'm recovering about 85% of my usual income (hopefully not just this week)!! The owner of the business was approved for the government backed loan which will turn into a grant, provided she can keep her employees! The caveat is that she's forced to pay for regular wages, for a sum of 75% of the total loan. Consequently I got a somewhat normal check this week!!

PS, it's only for 5 weeks, but it still made me happy....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 09:34:47 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #787 on: May 18, 2020, 10:32:09 pm »

Coronavirus: US woman, 96, speaks Welsh for first time in 40 years.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #788 on: May 29, 2020, 01:53:00 pm »

Finally managed to make a claim for the COVID government assistance , all previous attempts failed, as it turns out my dopey accountant has filed a wrong date of birth, weeks of frustration and chucking things about, all down to one digit.

I would like to say the young lady at HRMC helpline was so helpful and when the connection crapped out, rang me back......... Twice. Outstanding service and I told her so and thanked her so much for being there in these times of disruption.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #789 on: May 29, 2020, 02:01:16 pm »

We have just managed to get out a fledgling sparrow that had trapped itself in our hollow house walls, and it has flown outside where hopefully it will tell all its relatives to be more careful in future.  (I think in the autumn we'll have to find exactly how they are getting in,  but we don't want to do it before then, in case there's a nest).

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #790 on: May 29, 2020, 02:32:17 pm »

We have just managed to get out a fledgling sparrow that had trapped itself in our hollow house walls, and it has flown outside where hopefully it will tell all its relatives to be more careful in future.  (I think in the autumn we'll have to find exactly how they are getting in,  but we don't want to do it before then, in case there's a nest).
I was fitting a window last year and a fledgling sparrow flew into the room, with a bit of wrangling and luck, the little fella was out of the hole and free again, destined to be killed by a neighbours cat. Roll Eyes

A few years ago 2 bats were found in external cheeks of a window being replaced, we carefully placed them in a cardboard box, fitted the window then put them back where we found them, simply great holding a bat, if only for a minute.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #791 on: May 30, 2020, 11:04:43 am »

I was fitting a window last year and a fledgling sparrow flew into the room, with a bit of wrangling and luck, the little fella was out of the hole and free again, destined to be killed by a neighbours cat. Roll Eyes

A few years ago 2 bats were found in external cheeks of a window being replaced, we carefully placed them in a cardboard box, fitted the window then put them back where we found them, simply great holding a end but, if only for a minute.
[/quote]

It is, alas, the fate of many baby birds to come to an untimely end but we do what we can, including discouraging the magpies which try to raid the nests in the hedge.

How wonderful to have held a bat.  We love watching them flittering about at twilight, if we're out for a walk and sometimes get a few in the garden.

Lockdown is certainly making me appreciate nature even more than usual  Cheesy
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #792 on: May 30, 2020, 12:25:59 pm »

It is, alas, the fate of many baby birds to come to an untimely end but we do what we can, including discouraging the magpies which try to raid the nests in the hedge.

How wonderful to have held a bat.  We love watching them flittering about at twilight, if we're out for a walk and sometimes get a few in the garden.

Lockdown is certainly making me appreciate nature even more than usual  Cheesy
  Not so much fun when you hit a wasps nest, only happened twice in 20 years, they get rather angry you know. Logic and fear says we fit that window last shall we? Where's the nearest Chemist for stings and Antihistamines?  Tongue
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #793 on: May 30, 2020, 02:10:53 pm »

Those of us lucky enough to have weatherboard cladding - myself and my next door neighbour, for example - are also lucky enough to have micro-bats roosting in the gaps between the thin part of the weatherboarding, and the door surrounds, external, of course! They are teeny, tiny little bats, and will occasionally crawl up the flyscreens on the windows and doors after moths and other tiny little insects. Great fun to watch in the dark of a summer night! Not so much fun when they have a problem finding their way home and are found freezing cold on an autumn morning, and have to be warmed up, and kept in a warm, dark box for the day!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #794 on: May 30, 2020, 06:06:44 pm »

I think one of the reasons I love the people here is, not only do we appreciate Steampunk, but most seem be nature lovers of all gritters, I also see it on my local Facebook page.

I've spent quite alot of time and money doing a newt, frog, toad, insect friendly garden, various hibernaculums and a pond, I put a bridge in last year with a Belfast sink sat on top, just installed a pump and filtration system last week, seems to be working fine, seen 6 dragonfly larvae and newts galore!

As an aside, I was in my conservatory today and heard a mighty BANG on the roof, thought the worst and rushed outside to find a Raven lurking on the house roof and a half eaten pigeon laying in my garden. It stank! Bagged it up and dumped it in the local dog poo bin, oh! the smell, been dead for a good few days I would say, that time of year............
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:24:01 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #795 on: May 31, 2020, 12:30:44 am »

Low deserts have their own interesting flora and fauna...altho' some species are common enough in other climes.
When I can open the windows on cooler nights I hear nightingales (males) all night.
Quail, often with offspring in tow, will scurry from shrub to shrub.

Years ago when I first moved to Arizona, I didn't know any better and left the door propped open while I went in and out doing chores.
I inadvertently flushed an entire family of quail from a nearby shrub and, with Dad leading the way, all in a straight line darted through the open door.
Good thing I was able to take a quick head count before they scattered through the house.
I managed to shoo out both Mom and Dad first. They patiently waited a little ways off from the door while I rounded up the chicks one by one.
They hid under the bed, in the curtains, under the sofa. Took about 20 minutes.
I knew I had found them all when Dad finally turned around and led Mom and kids back to the shrubbery.  

(Note: pic is just a stock photo, not the "family"...but it's a very good representation.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:30:42 pm by Deimos » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #796 on: June 01, 2020, 09:15:58 pm »

I think one of the reasons I love the people here is, not only do we appreciate Steampunk, but most seem be nature lovers of all gritters,

Heres some Gritters.  Cheesy

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #797 on: June 01, 2020, 10:41:15 pm »

I think one of the reasons I love the people here is, not only do we appreciate Steampunk, but most seem be nature lovers of all gritters,

Heres some Gritters.  Cheesy

Glad to see you used duckduckgo for that. A rare breed these days. Wink
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #798 on: June 04, 2020, 08:48:31 am »

As an aside, I was in my conservatory today and heard a mighty BANG on the roof, thought the worst and rushed outside to find a Raven lurking on the house roof and a half eaten pigeon laying in my garden. It stank! Bagged it up and dumped it in the local dog poo bin, oh! the smell, been dead for a good few days I would say, that time of year............

Egads! That kind Raven brought you a gift! Incredibly intelligent birds, ravens. It Must have thought you were hungry...
During The Great Mouse Wars, I was putting out the snap-trap mousy's in the yard for the Ravens and telling them so.
Once I got the holes plugged, the offerings dropped ffrom several a day to several a week to one a week to none.
One Raven I had been chatting with kept watching me every time I stepped out, so I kept telling him/her
"sorry, no mousy's today" .   So (s)he came and dropped off a dead lizard in a bowl on our porch :-)
Yes, I did thank him (or her) ...

yhs
prf mvl

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #799 on: June 04, 2020, 10:27:48 am »

Egads! That kind Raven brought you a gift! Incredibly intelligent birds, ravens. It Must have thought you were hungry...
During The Great Mouse Wars, I was putting out the snap-trap mousy's in the yard for the Ravens and telling them so.
Once I got the holes plugged, the offerings dropped ffrom several a day to several a week to one a week to none.
One Raven I had been chatting with kept watching me every time I stepped out, so I kept telling him/her
"sorry, no mousy's today" .   So (s)he came and dropped off a dead lizard in a bowl on our porch :-)
Yes, I did thank him (or her) ...

yhs
prf mvl
I'd like to think being friendly, but in reality just a little clumsy and dropped his lunch by mistake.
 Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: