The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 03, 2021, 10:31:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 60098 times)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #750 on: April 10, 2020, 06:40:30 pm »

Time for the workshop.
I bought a big double scissor lifting table for my locos.
Capacity: 350kg
As I could not get the lifting mechanism separately (sorry, we do not sell spares...) I had to do some "tailoring".
The table is way too wide so had to be cut to fit my requirements.
3mm steel, about a metre long.
Angle grinder? No. takes too long, will use many discs and will never become straight.
So what to do?

Of course! There is a tool I bought long time ago, tested it and put it away until I might need it.

Out came......the plasma cutter!
The job was done within a few minutes. It was satisfying to see all the sparks fly, hear the compressor running at full capacity and finally have a narrow (1mm), clean and straight cut.
I should use it more often.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #751 on: April 11, 2020, 01:18:00 am »

Time for the workshop.
As I could not get the lifting mechanism separately (sorry, we do not sell spares...) I had to do some "tailoring".
Angle grinder? No. takes too long, will use many discs and will never become straight.
So what to do?

Of course! There is a tool I bought long time ago, tested it and put it away until I might need it.

The job was done within a few minutes. It was satisfying to see all the sparks fly, hear the compressor running at full capacity and finally have a narrow (1mm), clean and straight cut.

*shaking head* Boys!
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #752 on: April 11, 2020, 11:43:54 am »

Time for the workshop.
So what to do?

*shaking head* Boys!
YEP!........power tools and hitting things with the biggest hammer in the arsenal....just because we can, about sums us up Grin Oh, I wish I had a plasma cutter, my hand grinder seems so inadequate now. Undecided

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #753 on: April 14, 2020, 06:25:00 am »

not touching that last sentence with a ten foot pole.  Grin

Today has all kindsa happy. Playing around with conlangs was introduced to Toki Pona. and Think I will have to learn that one. But looking at some optional Hieroglyphics for it's 123 word vocabulary that look a little like cartoon monsters I got to wondering '123 cartoon monsters... how many pokemon were there in the first run?' long story short I may end up making a pokemon language and calling it Poki Mona.  Cheesy

Just before getting ready for my nightly live video I found a post on twitter where somebody was mentioning that youtube lets you put chapters into videos again, and while it's not quite annotations coming back, this should allow me to make my choose your own adventure videos again.  Shocked

the got on and made my video, where I talked about the finishing touches on the story concept for a story about paper that takes the memories we keep on paper and personifies them as little origami creatures and sort of goes a toy story route with them.

Followed that up with an idea for taking gremlins the movies and instead making it a story about the character finding an only item that enables them to summon a familiar that manifests outside of themselves and then things go wrong and soon he's drained while whole bunches of his inner aspects are maifest in the outside world causing havok.

the Did a bit of brainstorming about a ghost busters inspired story. and couldn't quite decide if I wanted to go the direction of mind powers, or crytozooilogical, so I'm going to play with both.

I gotta get another video or two out tonight and then to bed for me. twas a good day.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #754 on: April 15, 2020, 10:34:57 am »

Decided to just write an essay to kill the time.
I found so much interesting stuff about caledo-dutch trading relationships

I struggle and arise
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #755 on: April 22, 2020, 07:10:36 pm »

I am watching Bob Ross painting on BBC 4.   Yep he's made it back to TV  Cheesy

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #756 on: April 22, 2020, 08:37:17 pm »

I am watching Bob Ross painting on BBC 4.   Yep he's made it back to TV  Cheesy

Did they start showing them from the very 1st series?

[EDIT]Nope they didn't, looks like Auntie Beeb just ordered some random episodes & said "that'll do!"[/EDIT]

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 01:05:42 am by Mercury Wells » Logged

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #757 on: April 27, 2020, 10:57:41 am »

I've finally got around to making some new cotton, vegetable storage bags. 

I've just reread that and decided if that's all it takes to make me happy today, then lockdown Must be getting to me!
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #758 on: April 28, 2020, 04:14:53 am »

I've finally got around to making some new cotton, vegetable storage bags. 

I've just reread that and decided if that's all it takes to make me happy today, then lockdown Must be getting to me!

Yes, it's sad how low we are going - was talking to a friend on the phone yesterday, and we hadn't done anything to talk about... She was knitting and I am quilting - 'nuff said. One more quilt block done - yay!
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #759 on: May 01, 2020, 12:15:20 pm »

I finally found the perfect material for a new mask (the one that matches my waistcoat is a tad formal  Wink ). It was a Christmas stocking, but in these hard times, hard decisions must be made  Cheesy.

I've been told that some people might find it a bit tasteless, so I've hidden the picture.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #760 on: May 01, 2020, 12:32:38 pm »

I finally found the perfect material for a new mask (the one that matches my waistcoat is a tad formal  Wink ). It was a Christmas stocking, but in these hard times, hard decisions must be made  Cheesy.

I've been told that some people might find it a bit tasteless, so I've hidden the picture.
Very, Very clever, I like it and the way you think sir.  Wink
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #761 on: May 01, 2020, 06:53:05 pm »

Apparently not tasteless enough. I'm starting to see Cov2 symbols crop up everywhere in signs and such. Maybe it becomes the next polka-dot fashion

It reminded me of this Pink Panther cartoon
The Pink Panther in "Pink Punch"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:42:15 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #762 on: May 01, 2020, 07:14:34 pm »

Apparently not tasteless enough. I'm starting to see Cov2 symbols crop up everywhere in signs and such. Maybe it becomes the next polka-dot fashion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJy8QkOoRpc
That is brilliant! It even includes the bleach!

Thank you so much for that.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #763 on: May 02, 2020, 06:42:56 am »

Those were more innocent times...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #764 on: May 02, 2020, 05:53:35 pm »

Today at my workplace

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:56:27 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #765 on: May 02, 2020, 07:50:53 pm »

Today at my workplace

This is going to be the meme for May, isn't it?  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #766 on: May 02, 2020, 11:11:13 pm »

Today at my workplace

This is going to be the meme for May, isn't it?  Grin

"Don't talk to me about COVID 19 until I've had my Coffee"

"The workplace... Good 'till the last drop!"

"Somehow I feel my coworkers don't like me"

Personally, I think #2 is a winner

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 12:12:16 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #767 on: May 06, 2020, 05:56:43 am »

Not strictly Today but Yesterday.

The south coast had a remarkable sunrise yesterday, went into the garden and everything had a somewhat eerie orange glow, not quite your aurora borealis but impressive nonetheless.

Some photos from BBC.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #768 on: May 06, 2020, 06:00:13 am »

The south coast had a remarkable sunrise yesterday, went into the garden and everything had a somewhat eerie orange glow, not quite your aurora borealis but impressive nonetheless.

Some photos from BBC.

Welcome to desert sunsets  Cheesy
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #769 on: May 06, 2020, 06:31:36 am »

Some photos from BBC.

In that case I think I might want to live in a desert  Wink
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #770 on: May 06, 2020, 07:05:08 am »

Some photos from BBC.

In that case I think I might want to live in a desert  Wink

I think that right about now a desert is sounding pretty good. You might change your opinion based on daytime temperatures though... If you could live like the cave dwelling natives on the edge of some cliff, temperatures might be tolerable, though. The other solution is a high altitude desert, like in West Texas. It's basically desert with a little bit of alpine and very nice temperatures (zero water, though).
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #771 on: May 06, 2020, 11:18:12 am »

Some photos from BBC.

My word, they are beautiful.
I'm more a fan of sunsets, which I look on as a special treat at the end of my day.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #772 on: May 06, 2020, 12:40:10 pm »

The Martians must be coming... they have brought the red sky with them.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #773 on: May 06, 2020, 06:00:05 pm »

Some photos from BBC.

My word, they are beautiful.
I'm more a fan of sunsets, which I look on as a special treat at the end of my day.
I think the best sunset I have experienced was in Tintagel Cornwall, 25 years ago, me, a couple of stranger female Traveller Dongas and a stray dog sat on a stone wall facing the ocean, just watching as it happened. Afterwards we all hugged and went our separate ways, never to meet again.......... and that year my tent leaked Grin
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #774 on: May 06, 2020, 08:09:50 pm »

Some photos from BBC.

Welcome to desert sunsets  Cheesy
In that case I think I might want to live in a desert  Wink

I think that right about now a desert is sounding pretty good. You might change your opinion based on daytime temperatures though... If you could live like the cave dwelling natives on the edge of some cliff, temperatures might be tolerable, though. The other solution is a high altitude desert, like in West Texas. It's basically desert with a little bit of alpine and very nice temperatures (zero water, though).

Yes, very beautiful sunset....

And JW beat me to it with his "Welcome to desert sunsets".  
My first thought was "WOW"! followed by "looks like one of ours", [sunrises/sunsets in the desert.]

I know exactly what you mean about the orange, aurora-like glow.  Where I am it's a combo of orange-y pink or a salmon color. It doesn't happen all the time, and there has to be clouds (which doesn't happen frequently in the low desert) but such sunrises/sunsets are not a rarity either.  There may be a half dozen in a row like that, and then nothing for a month,  then 2 or 3 a month.  And they can be breathtakingly beautiful.

It's one of the great things about living in the desert...another being a lot of really clear, dry nights for stargazing.
The big disadvantage as JW mentioned is the summer temps.
Right now it is still in the OK (just OK) daytime temps of the 90s (F), nights in the 70s...but from mid May until mid October daytime will be triple digits.. night time will creep up into the 90s.

One note about pics of AZ sunrises and sunsets that you see on the web....so many of them have been enhanced/photoshopped to where they look almost cartoonish. Those are not our sunsets.
I'll look around for some that are "natural" and post/link those.    

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:23:20 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: