The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 10:46:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 60338 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #725 on: April 02, 2020, 02:02:42 am »

Nah, Messrs. Monty Python's mouse organ is even better. Wink

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #726 on: April 02, 2020, 10:06:11 am »

I don't know when I first saw the Pachelbel  Chicken in D, maybe 18 months ago...it's still one of the best musical videos out there.  I start laughing every single time I watch it. 

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #727 on: April 02, 2020, 10:17:36 am »

Have you heard the chicken wedding march as well?

How do these guys keep a straight face?

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #728 on: April 02, 2020, 05:22:28 pm »

Two words:

Hot Tub..........

Up and running nicely after a winter lurking in the depths of the shed!

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #729 on: April 03, 2020, 12:26:15 am »

Two words:

Hot Tub..........

Up and running nicely after a winter lurking in the depths of the shed!

I hope you are not thinking of using during your confinement - the fun police take a dim view of anyone enjoying themselves during the crisis...  Wink
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #730 on: April 05, 2020, 06:05:19 am »

The deep cut in my forehead has finally knitted together and has pretty much healed over. YAY!  Grin

There is still a little lumpy scabby bit, but it's stable and not pulling open. Looks like the supeglue helped seal the wound quite well as the scaring is pretty minimal, though it is definitely going to leave a mark - by the look of it it will be a faint lightning bolt shape right in the centre of my forehead. So that's kinda cool, and befitting a Mad Scientist...  Wink
It's nothing too big visibly, about half an inch in length.

Think there must have been a little nerve damage as it's quite numb around the wound area, but that's no biggie. Will probably return in time.

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #731 on: April 05, 2020, 07:05:16 am »

Ouch.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #732 on: April 05, 2020, 07:35:00 am »

Snip
Think there must have been a little nerve damage as it's quite numb around the wound area, but that's no biggie. Will probably return in time.

Wouldn't count on it, Siliconous - bit like boxers eyebrow and any other kind of facial cut, especial one over a bony surface - the numbness will probably remain! Next time you get a temperature it will probably itch, too!

I was cut from the brow, above and around about the middle of my left eyebrow, and along the outside bony area of the eye orbit, ending at the bottom of the orbit, in July 1996, and it's still numb!! (Don't try head butting a car while riding a motorcycle - the pain and suffering ain't worth it!)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #733 on: April 05, 2020, 06:06:38 pm »

We are fortunate enough to have a small garden so I was able to walk the twenty feet of it in the sunshine to get some of my daily exercise, (1500 times). We decided not to go further to leave more social distancing space for others, but our street seems fairly quiet anyway.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #734 on: April 05, 2020, 07:26:47 pm »

I remarked to a friend via email that the eeriest thing about being outside in a very large metro area is how quiet it gets after 7PM.  I don't live in the densest part, more in "suburbia", so the streets would normally have more traffic than downtown, which empties by 5PM. Most people that commute to work (or, rather, that still have work to commute to!) are home by 7, and now, are staying home.

I go walking (alone) around 10PM for about 90 minutes (about 4 miles).
It's really quiet by then and the streets almost empty.
Kind of nice, actually, despite the circumstances that are causing it.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #735 on: April 06, 2020, 12:34:15 am »

I remarked to a friend via email that the eeriest thing about being outside in a very large metro area is how quiet it gets after 7PM.  I don't live in the densest part, more in "suburbia", so the streets would normally have more traffic than downtown, which empties by 5PM. Most people that commute to work (or, rather, that still have work to commute to!) are home by 7, and now, are staying home.

We live in suburbia too, but all the houses are on either 1/2 or 1 acre blocks. No good any of us going out the front door in unison to clap for medical people, as you wouldn't see or hear anyone else in the street due to trees and gardens and distance. We get lots of walkers in our area - too many we think.

We would love to go for a drive into the city centre (and not get out of the car) just to see how quiet it is, but under lockdown rules that is forbidden. The only thing I am really missing (and this is a huge first world problem...) is the occasional takeaway or lunch at a cafe. I am getting so sick of cooking/thinking what to have for every single meal, and I have prepared enough food in our freezer to NOT have to cook for about 2 weeks! Strangely, despite doing a LOT of couch surfing, I am losing weight, so lockdown has been good for me (and the cafe food and takeaways were obviously bad  Angry )
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #736 on: April 06, 2020, 02:50:18 am »

We live in suburbia too, but all the houses are on either 1/2 or 1 acre blocks. No good any of us going out the front door in unison to clap for medical people, as you wouldn't see or hear anyone else in the street due to trees and gardens and distance. We get lots of walkers in our area - too many we think.

We would love to go for a drive into the city centre (and not get out of the car) just to see how quiet it is, but under lockdown rules that is forbidden. The only thing I am really missing (and this is a huge first world problem...) is the occasional takeaway or lunch at a cafe. I am getting so sick of cooking/thinking what to have for every single meal, and I have prepared enough food in our freezer to NOT have to cook for about 2 weeks! Strangely, despite doing a LOT of couch surfing, I am losing weight, so lockdown has been good for me (and the cafe food and takeaways were obviously bad  Angry )

I live in a tiny rural hamlet, where a five minute walk takes you a fair way out of town! I have living neighbours on one side, a (temporarily closed) bowling club on the other, cow paddocks out the back and a 90 metre 'footpath'/easement to the highway out the front. Our cafe reopened just after Christmas and just before this plague struck, but they are still open for takeaway coffee & "junk" food. I was out today getting supplies for next door, dropping off stuff for someone else, and getting my own fire supplies, and stopped off at the town down the road on the way home to get a takeaway coffee and sausage roll for breakfast. I have one of those coffee-makers from ALDI I was given a few years ago, so can make my cappuccinos if I want to!
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #737 on: April 06, 2020, 02:53:19 am »

Fast food/takeout and I parted ways decades ago, actually when I was in the military (right after high school.)
It was so bad/inconvenient/expensive that I just stopped eating it...just went back to eating in the military mess halls.
I was stationed at Pearl Harbor for most of my tour, which is right next to Hickam AFB.
PH food was awful but the AF mess halls always had good food, so I'd go to Hickam for Breakfast and dinner...made my own lunch and would bring it to work.
After serving my tour (6 years) I started doing all my own cooking/meal prep, and have been doing it ever since.
About 4 times a year I'll do take out with a friend who will kill for BBQ (and it saves us the bother of setting up the grill etc).
So, for me, food prep during the plague is no different than any other time.    
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:54:59 am by Deimos » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #738 on: April 06, 2020, 05:15:23 am »

.........The only thing I am really missing (and this is a huge first world problem...) is the occasional takeaway or lunch at a cafe.

I am getting so sick of cooking/thinking what to have for every single meal.....

Welcome to "our" everyday world.
with severe dietary restrictions from diagnosed "Celiac" (ie no wheat or anything that ever touched it or resembles it)
and food  allergies (no corn, dairy, egg, soy, etc) and "chemical sensitivities" , we have not been able to "eat out" for over 4 years.

With Mrs Marvel's back, she can;t stand in the kitchen for over 15 minnutes.....

So I took over cooking a loooooong time ago.
Picture a poor dumb engineer trying to read a typical recipe -
    "hey toots, how many ounces, grams, or SOMETHING measureable are in a "pinch, a dash, a dab, or a spoonful" ?
    "hey toots,  how much does a medium size ANYTHING weigh? "
    " hey toots, why the hell do they put *now take this thing you previously prepared 2 days ago* 3/4 of the way thru the recipe?"
    " hey toots, why can't I get this Gluten free baking recipe to [ rise / cook / congeal /  not burn ] ? "

" hey toots, the ( fill in the blank)   either [ burned/  won't cook / looks rotten / fillin the blank ] - how about canned "safe chicken salad" ... again? "

" hey toots, they changed the formula for the coconut milk I have always used for the last 5 years for biscuits.  The biscuit taste like sawdust.
          can you wait an hour while I do another experimental biscuit batch?"

All I can say is thank god for the gluten free/dairy free/soy free/organic/ safe  kosher sausage I can get.
Those plus trappeys navy beans (with added brown sugar and ketchup) are a safe tasty treet and emergency food.

And Low Sodium Spam. Fried. With Basmati Rice..... its actually safe AND good!
safer than most commercial Ham products. Guarenteed Gluten Free, etc etc....

really.

I can make India style crisp bread based on lentil flour, but it takes 3 hours to make enough to eat in 15 minutes.
Still trying to learn how to make the Japanese crispy rice crakers that don't turn into a brick....

I learned how to make hamburger buns that don;t fall apart ( rice flour mix) but then they changed the coconut milk ingrediants and ....

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #739 on: April 06, 2020, 10:25:20 am »

PB&J (on toast) ... I never tire of it.
And, yes, if one has celiac disease, peanut allergies and/or diabetes PB&J is pretty much off the menu.
But  (thank heavens and good genes) I don't have any of those afflictions.
After swimming laps --currently not allowed-- for about an hour (2km...I'm a slow swimmer) I crave either PB&J or [canned] tuna fish.
But PB&J is really my go-to sammich whether I'm rushed or just feeling lazy...and it's perfect to take on a day hike, one or two sammiches suffice.       
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #740 on: April 06, 2020, 11:36:23 am »

Woodwork with little daughter.
Little one cannot go and see her grandparents or aunt due to lockdown.
I have the week off.
How do you get your 28month old daughter happy?
Go to the hardware shop, buy some wood and let her "help" build a nesting box.
Great fun to see her use the vice, sort (and count) pieces,...
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #741 on: April 06, 2020, 12:38:20 pm »

Recorded the family dressed up in Star Wars themed costumes doing the weekly putting out of the rubbish bin. I would say that these times are having strange effects on society, but hey, we have no problem wearing whatever outfits we want, whenever we want. The rest of the world just hasn't realised they can too.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #742 on: April 07, 2020, 02:35:46 am »

Recorded the family dressed up in Star Wars themed costumes doing the weekly putting out of the rubbish bin. I would say that these times are having strange effects on society, but hey, we have no problem wearing whatever outfits we want, whenever we want. The rest of the world just hasn't realised they can too.

Sorontar

That sounds much more fun than what we did - went and got our flu shots... Had booked them a couple of months ago. The nurse giving the shots reckoned he was getting about 50 phone calls a day asking for a booking, but there is no flu-juice available due to the increased demand... Should have booked early like we do every year! Feel sore, but a little smug.  Wink
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #743 on: April 08, 2020, 12:38:27 am »

Found sausage meat in freezer (Cog knows how long it's been there...), a pack of frozen bacon off-cuts and dug out a couple of frozen large buns while I was in there.

Sausage and Bacon sandwich with a dollop of tomato ketchup.

I am a happy camper.  Grin
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #744 on: April 08, 2020, 01:12:46 am »

The cold weather finally finished off the tomatoes, the figs, the zucchinis, the beans and the capsicums - no more processing and bottling and chopping and freezing! Yay! Except for the pumpkins - they will be next, but they are more of a slow burn. And the chutney needs doing, and the strawberry jam, the raspberry jam, the blueberry jam and the fig jam. Also tomato sauce... *sigh* But I am happy because our daughter dropped off a 'pity pizza' for our dinner last night - she makes good pizzas - and I didn't have to cook!  Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #745 on: April 08, 2020, 01:40:02 am »

April 8th is Rex Manning Day.

For the first time in as long as I can remember I am aware of it before the day arrived, and am in a position to do something to celebrate this marvelous day.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #746 on: April 08, 2020, 02:56:41 am »

Sorontar

I don't know what you're talking about. Why would we look any different?

Luke, I am your cousin

On the other hand

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #747 on: April 09, 2020, 09:25:33 pm »

My root beer mead is ready to be drunk.  Smiley
Me too. Grin Roll Eyes

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #748 on: April 10, 2020, 01:48:45 am »

My root beer mead is ready to be drunk.  Smiley
Me too. Grin Roll Eyes

2 months notice for "Battered Elderflowers" Sir Henry.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #749 on: April 10, 2020, 07:00:43 am »

2 months notice for "Battered Elderflowers" Sir Henry.
It's nice to know that there are still some things we can rely on in this world.  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: