The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 25, 2020, 02:46:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 48884 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #675 on: January 13, 2020, 10:46:47 pm »

Passed at least 3 of my four classes from last semester... Still waiting for the last result

Well done indeed, Caledonian - you are doing very well indeed!
Keep up the good work. What are your subjects for this new term??

For my new semester I have

- Introduction to anthropology: questions of diversity
- Songs, myths and hero-tales of the old North
- English linguistics: Past and Present
- Gaelic for Beginners part 2

Well that should keep you busy!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #676 on: January 14, 2020, 12:52:34 am »

Passed at least 3 of my four classes from last semester... Still waiting for the last result

Anthropology is the subject where I first learned that just regurgitating what you were taught in the classroom verbatim will only earn you a 70% of your grade.  The rest depends on successfully making a convincing counterargument, which shows critical thinking to develop alternative solutions.  It is a fundamentally different way of thinking than, say, the hard sciences, where you usually only have one answer or a locii of answers around the real answer (a known physical phenomenon), even if your method is different to others methods.

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #677 on: January 14, 2020, 08:34:43 am »

Anthropology is the subject where I first learned that just regurgitating what you were taught in the classroom verbatim will only earn you a 70% of your grade.  The rest depends on successfully making a convincing counterargument, which shows critical thinking to develop alternative solutions.  It is a fundamentally different way of thinking than, say, the hard sciences, where you usually only have one answer or a locii of answers around the real answer (a known physical phenomenon), even if your method is different to others methods.

Regurgitation in any field of study is a no-no, and stands up there with using Wikipedia as a primary source, or "Chariots of the Gods" as primary material and referencing as same! Sure way to a fail! One of my history professors stated at the beginning of the unit that anyone referencing anything by Eric Von Daniken would suffer an instant "F", without appeal!

I am primarily archaeology/history/library & information science trained, with side paths into palaeontology, environmental geology, astronomy & physics amongst other things, but three subjects I did do were paleoanthropology, forensic anthropology and forensic archaeology, so I know both sides of the process - mostly I did dead people, so anthropology of living beings is outside my area of expertise!!

In America archaeology is a sub-set of anthropology, and reflects that in the literature. In Europe archaeology and anthropology are separate, if related, animals, and you can study one without the other if you so wish!

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #678 on: January 14, 2020, 10:06:33 pm »

Regurgitation in any field of study is a no-no, and stands up there with using Wikipedia as a primary source, or "Chariots of the Gods" as primary material and referencing as same! Sure way to a fail! One of my history professors stated at the beginning of the unit that anyone referencing anything by Eric Von Daniken would suffer an instant "F", without appeal!

I am primarily archaeology/history/library & information science trained, with side paths into palaeontology, environmental geology, astronomy & physics amongst other things, but three subjects I did do were paleoanthropology, forensic anthropology and forensic archaeology, so I know both sides of the process - mostly I did dead people, so anthropology of living beings is outside my area of expertise!!

In America archaeology is a sub-set of anthropology, and reflects that in the literature. In Europe archaeology and anthropology are separate, if related, animals, and you can study one without the other if you so wish!

I am grateful that my grades mostly depended on hard sciences like physics math chemistry, etc. Electives in the humanities like History I was good at but only because it's a subject I liked and dominated naturally since childhood. Same with art and music. Literature was a heavy load on me depending on the subject especiallyssince I came from the "Spanish World," and Anthropology was an "easy class" that turned out to be very hard, mostly because I didn't understand what they wanted from me. I learned my lesson (above), and earned perfect scores in American Political Science. But by then that was the last non STEM subject I took. It was all engineering and math after that.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon Machinery (they/them)

« Reply #679 on: January 14, 2020, 10:43:26 pm »

I took anthropology because I hope it will elaborate my main courses, which are largely culture based

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #680 on: January 15, 2020, 02:58:46 am »

I took anthropology because I hope it will elaborate my main courses, which are largely culture based

That will probably work for you!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #681 on: January 25, 2020, 01:18:12 am »

Happy Burns Nicht & Chinese New Year (Year of the Rat) to all. May your vaults over flow with jade.  Grin

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:25:41 am by Mercury Wells » Logged

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #682 on: February 02, 2020, 01:15:19 pm »

Today I welcomed into my home my new pup, a rescue from one of the fire affected areas. She wasn't one of the fire affected pets, but was being cared for at the Walwa Dunroamin Pet Rescue after being saved from the pound at Tumut. I suppose that, strictly speaking she isn't a pup, being about 18 months old, but ...!

She is probably a German Shorthaired Pointer cross, with either a whippet and/or a kelpie, being mainly black with brindle eyebrows, brindle legs and Pointer white with black spots on three feet and her chest. She loves other dogs, and also loves cats - my two don't quite know what to make of her, and are very curious. She won't make full Pointer size, which is fine with me!

So, tonight is her first night in her new home. Hope she likes sleeping in the lounge room on her specially designated chair or her own mat - as this happened quite suddenly, she doesn't have her own bed yet!

The vet who had her at her place only just had her house saved - the fire came to within about 2 metres of the house, and was stopped at the house yard fence. The vet subsequently had to shoot her little flock of fifty sheep because of their injuries. Her cows were saved.
She isn't going to get any mores sheep.

But I have a lovely, friendly pup who just wants to be with her human, be friends with the household cats, and anything or anyone else who comes within smooging range!
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #683 on: February 03, 2020, 01:54:34 am »

Today I welcomed into my home my new pup, a rescue from one of the fire affected areas. She wasn't one of the fire affected pets, but was being cared for at the Walwa Dunroamin Pet Rescue after being saved from the pound at Tumut. I suppose that, strictly speaking she isn't a pup, being about 18 months old, but ...!

She is probably a German Shorthaired Pointer cross, with either a whippet and/or a kelpie, being mainly black with brindle eyebrows, brindle legs and Pointer white with black spots on three feet and her chest. She loves other dogs, and also loves cats - my two don't quite know what to make of her, and are very curious. She won't make full Pointer size, which is fine with me!

So, tonight is her first night in her new home. Hope she likes sleeping in the lounge room on her specially designated chair or her own mat - as this happened quite suddenly, she doesn't have her own bed yet!

The vet who had her at her place only just had her house saved - the fire came to within about 2 metres of the house, and was stopped at the house yard fence. The vet subsequently had to shoot her little flock of fifty sheep because of their injuries. Her cows were saved.

But I have a lovely, friendly pup who just wants to be with her human, be friends with the household cats, and anything or anyone else who comes within smooging range!

Congratulations on your new family member, Banfili! She sounds lovely and should give you a whole lot of fun/trouble/enjoyment. It has been heartbreaking watching the animals who have suffered burns after the fire - made the mistake of watching Landline and saw all the tough Aussie farmers just gutted at the death and injury their livestock have suffered. Give your new pup a cuddle from us.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #684 on: February 04, 2020, 12:33:43 am »

Congratulations on your new family member, Banfili! She sounds lovely and should give you a whole lot of fun/trouble/enjoyment. It has been heartbreaking watching the animals who have suffered burns after the fire - made the mistake of watching Landline and saw all the tough Aussie farmers just gutted at the death and injury their livestock have suffered. Give your new pup a cuddle from us.

I will, Synistor! She is settling in pretty well - had a gallop around the yard this morning, and has realised what fun she can have with a tennis ball!

The trip up to Cudgewa North wasn't pleasant, nor was the trip back. It was pretty grim, overall. All the dead stock has been buried, and there were a few live ones out on the road, especially big, red bull, but the stock losses are crippling for the farmers up there. There are huddles of cattle - dairy & beef tucked, in corners here and there, but I don't think I saw a sheep inside the fire zone. Fences are being rebuilt, and the Hayrunners have been up, building up some hay dumps, so there is a sense of some normality returning - the more fortunate ones still have their houses, and, surprisingly, considering the devastation, none of the three churches in Cudgewa were touched.

Cuddle & hug from Synistor & Co duly delivered!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #685 on: March 05, 2020, 09:28:12 pm »

Can I just say what a blessing noise generators are?
I found one that sounds like an examination hall and for some reason that convinces my brain to stop wandering around and get shit done
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #686 on: March 05, 2020, 11:53:54 pm »

I found one that sounds like an examination hall and for some reason that convinces my brain to stop wandering around and get shit done

Hahahahaha... That's funny, Caledonian! I was wondering what the sound of an examination hall would sound like - despair? Then the snorts of derision from that smug b*****d who thinks they know it all?

We had cicadas last night that cancelled out everything. Then at 8:47pm they promptly stopped. Like taking off a hurting pair of shoes.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #687 on: March 06, 2020, 01:08:29 am »

Hahahahaha... That's funny, Caledonian! I was wondering what the sound of an examination hall would sound like - despair? Then the snorts of derision from that smug b*****d who thinks they know it all?

We had cicadas last night that cancelled out everything. Then at 8:47pm they promptly stopped. Like taking off a hurting pair of shoes.

it sounds like rustling paper and pens moving, that one person clicking their pen annoyingly, the steps of the teacher walking around the room... at least that's what the sound generator sounds like https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/examinationClassroomNoiseGenerator.php
I am afraid I used to be that smug person for a while xD
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #688 on: March 06, 2020, 03:15:08 am »

Rain!!!
6 inches+, with a little more to come.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #689 on: March 06, 2020, 08:11:25 am »

it sounds like rustling paper and pens moving, that one person clicking their pen annoyingly, the steps of the teacher walking around the room... at least that's what the sound generator sounds like https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/examinationClassroomNoiseGenerator.php

Then all you would need to make the impression perfect would be a scented candle "stale air, too much desodorant, sweat of fear"

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #690 on: March 07, 2020, 05:23:30 am »

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm happy that the South by Southwest festival got canceled today... I feel we just dodged a bullet  Tongue
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #691 on: March 07, 2020, 04:38:20 pm »

Then all you would need to make the impression perfect would be a scented candle "stale air, too much desodorant, sweat of fear"

..... I live in student dorms...
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #692 on: March 08, 2020, 01:44:03 am »

Rain!!!
6 inches+, with a little more to come.

It's been the most amazing start to autumn - everything is so green now. It should make a lovely autumn display in a month or so.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #693 on: March 08, 2020, 06:23:26 am »

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm happy that the South by Southwest festival got canceled today... I feel we just dodged a bullet  Tongue

Canceled because of the coronavirus?

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"Only the paranoid survive."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #694 on: March 08, 2020, 06:43:43 am »

Canceled because of the coronavirus?

Yep. I've been going to the event (mostly the tech and gaming convention part of it) for 10 years straight partly as Steampunk business and partly out of self interest. But this time hundreds of thousands of visitors, all using the public transportation system jam-packed into convention centers, hotels and nightclubs means that statistically we would become the turning point from an uncontrolled contagion to a national pandemic, and because so many come from abroad, quite likely the start of the global pandemic itself. I'm actually angry that it took them so long to realize the danger.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #695 on: March 25, 2020, 06:06:17 am »

Well, in all the fuss and to-do of the past couple of weeks, I have just realised that I have, finally, been promoted to Admiral!!

Three cheers for the promotions board!!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #696 on: March 25, 2020, 07:28:28 am »

Hooray for sensible people!

The Olympic committee formally announced that the Tokyo summer olympics will be DELAYED until summer 2021, and still in Tokyo.

prf mvl

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #697 on: March 25, 2020, 07:43:11 am »

Well, in all the fuss and to-do of the past couple of weeks, I have just realised that I have, finally, been promoted to Admiral!!

Congratulations on your promotion! I assume you will be celebrating with an appropriate glass of port?

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #698 on: March 25, 2020, 08:04:29 am »

Congratulations on your promotion! I assume you will be celebrating with an appropriate glass of port?

Sir Henry, I will have to go and check the (non-existent) wine cellar! That is, the cupboard in the kitchen, between the fridge & the sink!!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #699 on: March 25, 2020, 08:10:33 am »

After about a year my 5" gauge SWALLOW is back to operational state.

What started as a repair to the crosshead pump turned into a full overhaul including boiler upgrade.
Can´t wait to test her on the track.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: