The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 11, 2019, 09:10:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 39204 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #600 on: October 04, 2019, 06:28:24 am »

Ooh, they look nice!
No chilli in mine, please!

You mean not using Chile/Chili Pepper or "Chili" as in the minced meat Tex Méx stew? For the former, the whole outside is the pepper and assuming he uses Poblano peppers, they would be hot peppers...

No chilli as in hot, semi-hot or even mild - my mouth can't take it anymore!! I've even had to stop eating satay, which I love!
The best I can manage is the mildest of mild satay, or the mildest of mild sweet curry - but definitely no chilli!

Here, "peppers", especially the sweet type, are called capsicum, not peppers
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #601 on: October 04, 2019, 11:38:16 am »

Ooh, they look nice!

You mean not using Chile/Chili Pepper or "Chili" as in the minced meat Tex Méx stew? For the former, the whole outside is the pepper and assuming he uses Poblano peppers, they would be hot peppers...

No chilli as in hot, semi-hot or even mild - my mouth can't take it anymore!! I've even had to stop eating satay, which I love!
The best I can manage is the mildest of mild satay, or the mildest of mild sweet curry - but definitely no chilli!

I'm going to hazard a guess and assume most stuffed peppers on your side of the world come from Far East Asian cuisine. People from China and Japan are often surprised to hear that stuffed peppers are present in Latin America - oddly ALL peppers came from Latin America, so it's not a big surprise that stuffed pepper dishes would be present.

And I'll further guess that the peppers used are Bell Peppers. The ones used in Spanish speaking lands are Poblano Peppers, which are dark green, full of seeds, hot like 1000 to 1500 Scoville and relatively big, but not as big as the Bell Pepper I've seen in Asian Cuisine which has no heat and I'd used commonly in salads in the West. Sometimes Jalapeño Peppers (dark green, about the size of your thumb and 2500 Scoville ) are used to make tiny stuffed peppers, especially in Texas.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #602 on: October 04, 2019, 11:41:25 am »

as far I I have found most drink sellers have been changing their formulas, and even if they hadn't you are exposed to more benzene while driving, or walking along a city road, or pumping petrol into your car. ... and if you've ever smoked a cigarette you've had daily exposure 100s of times higher than you will ever get from warmed soda. ... and sugar inhibits the conversion of the preservative to benzene.

Hopefully. It's the high temperature reaction I'm afraid of as in baking or frying. But there's plenty of "Gourmet" Root Beers available with "natural ingredients" out there.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #603 on: October 04, 2019, 12:56:38 pm »

Ooh, they look nice!

I'm going to hazard a guess and assume most stuffed peppers on your side of the world come from Far East Asian cuisine. People from China and Japan are often surprised to hear that stuffed peppers are present in Latin America - oddly ALL peppers came from Latin America, so it's not a big surprise that stuffed pepper dishes would be present.

And I'll further guess that the peppers used are Bell Peppers. The ones used in Spanish speaking lands are Poblano Peppers, which are dark green, full of seeds, hot like 1000 to 1500 Scoville and relatively big, but not as big as the Bell Pepper I've seen in Asian Cuisine which has no heat and I'd used commonly in salads in the West. Sometimes Jalapeño Peppers (dark green, about the size of your thumb and 2500 Scoville ) are used to make tiny stuffed peppers, especially in Texas.

Capsicum is what you would call a Bell Pepper. Other 'hot' peppers are, generically, chillies, of any variety. Capsicums come in red/orange, yellow and green. Red/orange and yellow are particularly sweet, the green ones not so sweet. Used in salads, soups, stews and, of course, stir fry!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #604 on: October 04, 2019, 04:17:19 pm »

these are just bell peppers, with a flavor in the area of cucumber meets cabbage with a hint of radish, no heat to them at all really. the seasoning on the fish and rish has a bit of chili powder but that's not so hard to cut back on, I might have over done it a little anyway. and the pico de gallo has about 1/3 a jalepeno in it which could probably be reduced. It's customizable.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #605 on: October 06, 2019, 11:04:26 pm »

Ooh, they look nice!

Capsicum is what you would call a Bell Pepper. Other 'hot' peppers are, generically, chillies, of any variety. Capsicums come in red/orange, yellow and green. Red/orange and yellow are particularly sweet, the green ones not so sweet. Used in salads, soups, stews and, of course, stir fry!

Americans tend to avoid the term Chilli or Chile,  because it's confused with the Texas Chili beff stew. In Mexico all hot peppers are called Chile's. Capsicum / Bell Pepper is known as Pimiento, and in Central Europe sometimes it is called Paprika... Not to be confused with the American English word Pimento/Pimiento which refers to Cherry Peppers, just in case you're not confused enough.

We have all 3 colors of capsicum here too.. I happen to be at the supermarket again (it's Sunday) and so I can show you the difference between Poblano and Bell Peppers aka Capsicum. The Bell Peppers tend to be bigger but you can get very large poblano peppers as well. The green on the left is a large Poblano. The one on the right is a medium size Bell /Capsicum. We only have smaller red Bells at the moment, I don't know why. As you can see the Poblano is darker and flatter than a Bell/Capsicum, and also much hotter while Bell /Capsicum has basically zero heat.

I just had a Machiavellic idea. What if I make stuffed Poblanos with my Onions /Beef+turkey/Spinach hamburger meat? The meat, thanks to the onion is very sweet... Alright, I think I'll do that today. I usually form the meat into Hamburger patties for lunch. It's beef and turkey mixed with Spinach and yellow onion sautéed in olive oil. I can try baking a stuffed pepper that way. I don't want to go through the trouble of batter and deep fry.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:29:06 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #606 on: October 07, 2019, 07:30:15 am »

So I did it! Rovingjack inspired something on me today. I took that Poblano and stuffed it with some of my regular fare I cook for the week. I had the idea of using croisant puff pastry instead of deep frying the Chile Relleno. And I have to say that the flavor is excellent! I did not however have the presence of mind to buy ingredients for a sauce. But based on the first taste test, I'd say that a spicy version of a tomato bisque would be perfect.

If you care to see the development, I posted photos, step by step at this thread in anatomical!

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11121.msg999861.html#msg999861
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #607 on: October 09, 2019, 05:27:59 am »

happy adventures in the culinary mad sciences.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #608 on: October 09, 2019, 10:25:13 am »

Had lunch with my youngest nephew today (he paid!), which is always lovely. Leaves it until the last minute to tell me that my niece (his older sister) is having a baby!! So I am going to be a great auntie again!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #609 on: October 10, 2019, 01:06:11 am »

I always like to emphasise the 'Great' in Great aunty... That's the important bit. Congratulations to your niece!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #610 on: October 10, 2019, 03:57:56 am »

I always like to emphasise the 'Great' in Great aunty... That's the important bit. Congratulations to your niece!

True enough! I am a 'Great' great auntie! Mind you, my niece should have more sense - she is 40 tomorrow! But then, happy accidents do happen! If they hadn't, I wouldn't have had lunch with my nephew, who popped up 12 years after his brother, and 17 after his sister!
And the new baby, due next year, will have two gorgeous older brothers (12 & 10) to look after it! More chance of twins with older mums though - that would really liven my niece up! Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:59:54 am by Banfili » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #611 on: October 10, 2019, 06:58:09 am »

Seeing this:

https://www.stationroadsteam.com/steam-lawnmower-stock-code-8800/

I want one for my garden.
Imagine myself mowing along my 5" gauge line.......

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #612 on: October 11, 2019, 07:46:00 pm »

Wednesday, I got discharged from the Wound Center, after a siege of diabetic ulcers that went on far too long!

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Lizzie Cogsworthy
Swab

« Reply #613 on: October 12, 2019, 04:27:14 pm »

I've managed to jerry rig a simple drop spindle from an old doorknob, a length of copper pipe, and a metal hook, and am now doing some simple hand spinning!

My first bits of handspun are just finishing drying, a nice bulky weight single-ply. Messy, very 'art yarn,' but for the knitted mantle/cowl/thing I have planned, it's just the thing!

Also have filled three nice pseudo-Victorian style tea tins, turning them into rather lovely candles!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #614 on: October 13, 2019, 12:19:39 am »

Wednesday, I got discharged from the Wound Center, after a siege of diabetic ulcers that went on far too long!

Nasty things, alright! Glad you are a lot better, Darkhound.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #615 on: October 20, 2019, 04:42:55 am »

Minor thing, really. But was glad to bump into this movie trailer of Ridley Scott's The Duellists (1977). I'll try to find the movie online. I haven't seen it in many years.

The Duellists - Trailer
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #616 on: October 20, 2019, 05:47:53 am »

I've managed to jerry rig a simple drop spindle from an old doorknob, a length of copper pipe, and a metal hook, and am now doing some simple hand spinning!

My first bits of handspun are just finishing drying, a nice bulky weight single-ply. Messy, very 'art yarn,' but for the knitted mantle/cowl/thing I have planned, it's just the thing!

Also have filled three nice pseudo-Victorian style tea tins, turning them into rather lovely candles!

That sounds very interesting, Lizzie. I am just about to try a bit of eco printing on paper - waiting for my iron mordant to cure. I had a go at basket making from stuff I wove from my garden last year. It was fun, but I found it a bit hard on my hands (which I need for doing illustration art work). I expect the drop spindle could be a little skin-wearing, but not as bad as twisting grass?

Make sure you post a picture or two of the finished products, please.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: