The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2019, 05:09:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 40103 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #575 on: September 11, 2019, 04:56:18 pm »

sounds just ducky

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #576 on: September 11, 2019, 08:14:25 pm »

Went and dyed my hair. My great act of parent defiance.

When I was younger - about the same age as yourself - I got mine cut! My poor dad was devastated, he said! However, he didn't have to wear it long in the hot, humid Sydney summer!! It has been short ever since!

As an act of parental defiance perhaps a small rebellion, the colour will fade eventually, & you are in Scotland now and they won't see it very often, will they? Grin

She won't. but while i lived at home, she forbade me from dyeing it. now I'm here, and I'm free, and she can't stop me.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #577 on: September 12, 2019, 12:17:28 am »

Went and dyed my hair. My great act of parent defiance.

When I was younger - about the same age as yourself - I got mine cut! My poor dad was devastated, he said! However, he didn't have to wear it long in the hot, humid Sydney summer!! It has been short ever since!

As an act of parental defiance perhaps a small rebellion, the colour will fade eventually, & you are in Scotland now and they won't see it very often, will they? Grin

She won't. but while i lived at home, she forbade me from dyeing it. now I'm here, and I'm free, and she can't stop me.

Freedom!
 Grin
Perhaps you should have dyed it Scottish Blue & White, a la Braveheart!
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #578 on: September 12, 2019, 10:55:11 pm »

"Azure, a Satire Argent is the technical description of the Scottish flag. Your hair would look charming!

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #579 on: September 12, 2019, 11:27:05 pm »

"Azure, a Saltire Argent is the technical description of the Scottish flag. Your hair would look charming!

Heraldry makes 'a blue background with a white cross' sound very flash!

It would be quite different, wouldn't it!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #580 on: September 13, 2019, 03:51:41 am »

"Azure, a Satire Argent is the technical description of the Scottish flag. Your hair would look charming!
I think you mean Saltire, unless you were saying Scotland has silver comedy on a blue background (I think the Edinburgh Festival would think it gets gold stars).

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #581 on: September 13, 2019, 06:19:37 am »

I think you mean Saltire, unless you were saying Scotland has silver comedy on a blue background (I think the Edinburgh Festival would think it gets gold stars).
But the blue comedy background is certainly true... Wink

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #582 on: September 18, 2019, 05:53:28 am »

Finished the Netflix series Russian Doll... holy crap that was an impressive bit of story telling
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #583 on: September 28, 2019, 12:34:40 pm »

trying to learn how to knit is both fun and frustrating
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #584 on: September 29, 2019, 12:53:32 am »

Total frustration, & not much fun for me! What I ended up with when I tried to learn to knit many moons ago was something that looked like very bad macrame! Knitting & crochet are a closed book!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #585 on: September 29, 2019, 03:14:42 am »

Total frustration, & not much fun for me! What I ended up with when I tried to learn to knit many moons ago was something that looked like very bad macrame! Knitting & crochet are a closed book!

loom knitting is a quick learn and gets you a good start in being able to make a wide number of things. I've tried regular knitting, and didn't get the hang of it, I was off and running making hats, neck gaiters, scarves, blankets and slipper socks in no time with a loom knitter, and I'd wager I could translate the skill into actual knitting or crochet at some point but frankly most of what I need I can do with a loom.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #586 on: September 29, 2019, 03:18:25 am »

loom knitting is a quick learn and gets you a good start in being able to make a wide number of things. I've tried regular knitting, and didn't get the hang of it, I was off and running making hats, neck gaiters, scarves, blankets and slipper socks in no time with a loom knitter, and I'd wager I could translate the skill into actual knitting or crochet at some point but frankly most of what I need I can do with a loom.

I have the loom! But no time at present to really get stuck into it at a serious level. Maybe after May, when Uni (hopefully) winds up for a little while!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #587 on: October 02, 2019, 04:42:38 am »

I made Eggs Benedict Salad sandwich today (soft boiled eggs and ham, both diced and mixed with hollandaise sauce instead of mayo and served open faces on toast). it was fun to try the experiment and taste test.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #588 on: October 02, 2019, 11:28:59 am »

I made Eggs Benedict Salad sandwich today (soft boiled eggs and ham, both diced and mixed with hollandaise sauce instead of mayo and served open faces on toast). it was fun to try the experiment and taste test.

Was it edible? Sounds like something I would like!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #589 on: October 02, 2019, 02:31:43 pm »

it was enjoyable. the combination of the diced ham and soft boiled egg remind me a bit of a sloppy-joe/chili dog. Getting the ratios of things right without tasting it (was doing a live taste test video) is a bit tricky. and a burger bun was too much bread for it, doing a regular piece of sandwich bread toasted and made open face style worked great.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #590 on: October 02, 2019, 02:43:20 pm »

it was enjoyable. the combination of the diced ham and soft boiled egg remind me a bit of a sloppy-joe/chili dog. Getting the ratios of things right without tasting it (was doing a live taste test video) is a bit tricky. and a burger bun was too much bread for it, doing a regular piece of sandwich bread toasted and made open face style worked great.

I wonder how it would go with a brioche slider bun, toasted?
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #591 on: October 03, 2019, 02:32:07 am »

my only issue with the bun I used was the bread to filling ratio. It's sort of why I prefer not to use hotdog buns for anything because it turns everything into slightly flavored bread. Eggs benedict is a marginally mellow flavor (not overly zesty, spicy, sour, or anything really) and tends to get lost in the flavor of the bread. but you results may vary, depending on your tastes.

tonights culinary mad science is making fish (and shrimp) tacos and using them to make stuffed peppers. seafood taco stuffed peppers is you will with pico de gallo for the slaw/sauce... because why wouldn't I.

Tomorrow I will be making rootbeer pancakes with vanilla icecream syrup . Rootbeer float pancakes. Yay. (I recognise that not everybody in the world cares for rootbeer, and I grieve for those of you the don't, lol)

later there will be roast garlic an roast red pepper chips (both types of chips, fries and crisps).

Saturday is going to be the real risky experiment. Making my long contemplated cucumber melon pie.

culinary mad science makes me happy.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #592 on: October 03, 2019, 05:52:09 am »

Root beer float pancakes sound amazing! I am eager to hear the results on that experiment...

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #593 on: October 03, 2019, 11:43:56 am »

my only issue with the bun I used was the bread to filling ratio. It's sort of why I prefer not to use hotdog buns for anything because it turns everything into slightly flavored bread. Eggs benedict is a marginally mellow flavor (not overly zesty, spicy, sour, or anything really) and tends to get lost in the flavor of the bread. but you results may vary, depending on your tastes.

tonights culinary mad science is making fish (and shrimp) tacos and using them to make stuffed peppers. seafood taco stuffed peppers is you will with pico de gallo for the slaw/sauce... because why wouldn't I.

Tomorrow I will be making rootbeer pancakes with vanilla icecream syrup . Rootbeer float pancakes. Yay. (I recognise that not everybody in the world cares for rootbeer, and I grieve for those of you the don't, lol)

later there will be roast garlic an roast red pepper chips (both types of chips, fries and crisps).

Saturday is going to be the real risky experiment. Making my long contemplated cucumber melon pie.

culinary mad science makes me happy.

Heresy! Heresy, I say!! The pepper is a wrapping already! However Stuffed Pepper Tacos (the Tortilla on the outside is something that has been made as a novelty food. Moreover, ever crazier things have been done with stuffed peppers: a Chile Relleno Pizza topping does exist at a very strange place called "Black Dog Pizza" (Pizza del Perro Negro) in downtown CDMX..

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nCeAmN_niiw

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #594 on: October 03, 2019, 04:44:32 pm »

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #595 on: October 04, 2019, 12:34:13 am »

Ooh, they look nice!
No chilli in mine, please!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #596 on: October 04, 2019, 02:05:39 am »

Ooh, they look nice!
No chilli in mine, please!

You mean not using Chile/Chili Pepper or "Chili" as in the minced meat Tex Méx stew? For the former, the whole outside is the pepper and assuming he uses Poblano peppers, they would be hot peppers...
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #597 on: October 04, 2019, 04:26:09 am »

Root beer float pancakes sound amazing! I am eager to hear the results on that experiment...
these were better than they had any right to be. lol. The rootbeer is nearly unnoticable when they are fresh from the pan, and the icecream syrup isn't quite right when just mixed, but put them in a cold fridge for a few hours and holy crap they are amazing. the syrup tastes just like vanilla bean ice cream melting in your mouth , and the pancake tastes a bit like a a pound cake with a hint of rootbeer to it that pops when it has the syrup.

I know I can have a bit more sensative sense of taste so for others I might add a bit of the rootbeer concentrate for the home soda stream devices to make it clearer for most people with less sensative pallets. But man I've had like ten of them so far and this is definately one of my better mad creations.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #598 on: October 04, 2019, 05:20:54 am »

Just a word: don't use root beer with Sodium Benzoate preservatives, which can become toxic when heated (produces trace amounts of Benzene which is a powerful carcinogenic). That's one reason I don't recommend using soda for cooking, like that recipe for pulled pork cooked in Coca Cola.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #599 on: October 04, 2019, 06:07:22 am »

as far I I have found most drink sellers have been changing their formulas, and even if they hadn't you are exposed to more benzene while driving, or walking along a city road, or pumping petrol into your car. ... and if you've ever smoked a cigarette you've had daily exposure 100s of times higher than you will ever get from warmed soda. ... and sugar inhibits the conversion of the preservative to benzene.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: