The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 15, 2019, 09:48:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 39438 times)
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #525 on: July 13, 2019, 07:49:48 pm »

Just worked out my touring schedule so that I'm back across the Channel in time to squeeze in a day or two in Whitby for the Weekend before heading home to the Antipodes.

Not much in the way of appropriate textiles, as I've been on a motorbike around Europa for 3 months, but it still looks like being fun.    Smiley Smiley Smiley

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #526 on: August 14, 2019, 06:32:36 pm »

less than 14 days till moving to scotland

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #527 on: August 14, 2019, 10:41:07 pm »

I've been doing some experiments on exercise and fitness. Using a stringent and calculated exercise routine I went from barely able to do five each of - squats, push ups, lunges, rows, and 10 jumping jack... 5 weeks later I did 100 of each straight in a row (is I do them in sets of twenty I can do 300 each in a day).

Then I switched over to endurance on a stationary bike. Starting with about 1-3 minutes sustained pedaling before resting and repeating to get to 5 minutes every hour. I wasn't sweating or breathing heavy just my leg muscles burning and wearing out. But I adapted and modified my exercise plan and now it's 3.5 weeks later and for the last half week I've been getting about 3 hours of pedaling in 15 minute increments. Then today I just decided to go for it and see if I could do a solid hour... and the answer is yes. Yes I can.

I'll keep up on these things to maintain the increased capabilities, toward the end of september I will be adding in either weight strength or power training (slow or fast twitch muscle targeting), and hopefully by years end have an exercise routine that I can do on the daily that increases my functional fitness.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #528 on: August 15, 2019, 01:19:12 am »

Go you! Exciting times ahead for Caledonian! Do you have somewhere to live already?
When do you actually start at University?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #529 on: August 15, 2019, 01:21:28 am »

Well done, rovingjack - you'll be bouncing around like a rubber ball!
Put me to shame, I'm afraid  Tongue
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #530 on: August 15, 2019, 04:06:42 am »

Go you! Exciting times ahead for Caledonian! Do you have somewhere to live already?
When do you actually start at University?

I have a room on campus, for which i get the keys 31 of August. Then uni officially starts the first of september
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #531 on: August 15, 2019, 09:44:00 am »

That's grand! Don't forget your winter woollies for later in the year! What are your first units?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2019, 11:26:28 am »

That's grand! Don't forget your winter woollies for later in the year! What are your first units?

I have yet to recieve my timetable but i will definitely have some academic skill subjects on how to do research and such, as well as beginner Gaelic.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #533 on: August 15, 2019, 01:31:21 pm »

Yes, getting the academic skills sorted are important, you can't do without them.
I had been a mentor for first year new students with my university for a a few years - the programme isn't being run any more - it was a grand experience.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #534 on: August 15, 2019, 03:11:14 pm »

Being able to apply critical analysis into your academic research is vital Caledonian, whilst citing appropriate references to support your arguments. Once you can understand statements like that, you are on the right road. It doesn't matter whether you are studying medicine, physics or Gaelic. University don't teach you stuff. You go to university to learn how to think. It just might take a few years before you realise that. Even the leading professors are still there to learn new ways of thinking, new perspectives.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #535 on: August 15, 2019, 04:08:51 pm »

you are both right, of course. I have had similar subjects before, when I studied Art History, but it's good to go over everything again
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #536 on: August 15, 2019, 11:38:13 pm »

Sorontar is dead right - you are taught at school, but you learn at university. You are considered to be a thinking adult rather than a a learning juvenile - many students take some time to work out the difference - some never do!
Your task is made a bit harder by moving not just cities, but countries, and taking on learning a new language at the same time.
Statistically, if you can make it through your first year you will finish your course. The first year is the hardest. Nothing like a bit of a challenge, hey!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #537 on: August 16, 2019, 02:57:36 am »

The first three months is the hardest... I remember coming home and curling up in the foetal position and whining piteously at the end of each day. A few days later one of the other students admitted doing the same thing, then EVERYONE in the class confessed that it was a struggle. Three months later we all knew where everything was and what we were supposed to do, and whilst it wasn't exactly easy, it was no longer a struggle. Get through the first 3 months and you should be right for the rest. All my best wishes!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #538 on: August 16, 2019, 06:27:19 am »

well I wasn't sore when I got up this morning so, I figured it might be interesting to see about pushing myself further and advancing my plans.

I combined my past exercises:

I did 17 of each body weight exercise (7 minutes total), followed by 45 minutes of stationary bike on low resistance, and then another 7 minute round of body weight exercises.

I repeated this 2 more times after the first during the day.

So I've done about 2 hours and 15 minutes of bike riding, and 45 minutes of body weight exercising today for a total of 3 hours exercise.

I doubted myself heavily early on and was ready to only do this twice today, but I felt fine a couple hours after the second round and just allowed myself to start a third set and see how far I might get... and then just finished the set.

I'm hoping to make tomorrow at least a light day if not a day off, and then get into a pattern of this, so that when the end of september rolls around I can alternate days like this and strength training for 6 days a week. Then in November I will add power training to weight training days.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #539 on: August 17, 2019, 03:43:20 am »

After finally doing the last of the unpacking from my trip, and all getting my newly-aquired outfits back from the dry-cleaners, I just had to pin on the little name-tag.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1039602686232721&id=100005489974766&set=a.407886902737639&source=48

It's actually a promotional pin for a totally different chap ( https://youtu.be/4hX9lRYmp6I  ), but it does make a nifty little name-tag. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:45:07 am by Fairley B. Strange » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #540 on: August 17, 2019, 07:41:17 am »

It's actually a promotional pin for a totally different chap ( https://youtu.be/4hX9lRYmp6I  ), but it does make a nifty little name-tag. Smiley
In much the same way I am regularly made happy by academia.edu letting me know how many academic papers have mentioned me (or at least Sir Henry) in the past week.  Wink

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #541 on: August 17, 2019, 02:55:39 pm »

Picked all my courses and receiver my timetable!
Since someone asked i will be doing, in the first semester

Accademic Writing for Language and Literature
Barbarians, Romans, Gods and Warriors
Gaelic for Beginners
Gaelic Scotland
English Structure and Use
Accademic skills
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #542 on: August 17, 2019, 07:54:31 pm »

Gaelic for Beginners
Gaelic Scotland
Accademic skills

Sounds like an interesting time awaits you.  I'm sure you're going to have a good time.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #543 on: August 18, 2019, 02:04:02 am »

Gaelic for Beginners
Gaelic Scotland
Accademic skills

Looks good!
Don't forget to enjoy yourself! Cheesy
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #544 on: August 18, 2019, 04:20:31 am »

Barbarians, Romans, Gods and warriors... they have a class about me and my friends? lol
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #545 on: August 18, 2019, 04:07:59 pm »

Barbarians, Romans, Gods and Warriors... I took the short version of that course; we just read the Barbar books.  Grin
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #546 on: August 18, 2019, 10:57:06 pm »

well I wasn't sore when I got up this morning so, I figured it might be interesting to see about pushing myself further and advancing my plans.

I combined my past exercises:

I did 17 of each body weight exercise (7 minutes total), followed by 45 minutes of stationary bike on low resistance, and then another 7 minute round of body weight exercises.

I repeated this 2 more times after the first during the day.

So I've done about 2 hours and 15 minutes of bike riding, and 45 minutes of body weight exercising today for a total of 3 hours exercise.

I doubted myself heavily early on and was ready to only do this twice today, but I felt fine a couple hours after the second round and just allowed myself to start a third set and see how far I might get... and then just finished the set.

I'm hoping to make tomorrow at least a light day if not a day off, and then get into a pattern of this, so that when the end of september rolls around I can alternate days like this and strength training for 6 days a week. Then in November I will add power training to weight training days.

Keep up the good work!
Sensible exercise induces the body to enter a "self-healing" mode, and produces the proper endorphines to reduce percieved stress and depression!

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #547 on: August 22, 2019, 03:13:23 am »

6 days.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #548 on: August 22, 2019, 08:30:04 am »

6 days.

Congratulations !

If your room is less than ultramodern you may wish to get some sort of “space heater” whilst you can shop larger discount stores (or amazon for that matter)

I have heard it said “the coldest days of my life were in summer in scotland”.....

Prof Marvel
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #549 on: August 22, 2019, 01:20:52 pm »

6 days.

But who's counting! Can sense the excitement from here!

In addition to the heater, add woolly socks and thermal underwear, really good, warm, weatherproof jacket and boots, and an umbrella!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:23:20 pm by Banfili » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: