Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 88447 times)

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
Re: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2016, 08:49:00 pm »
New Eye doc says no new prescription is necessary and to keep up the patch therapy and eye vitamin dosage; I take it he also sees no reason for eye muscle neurosurgery (which is his specialty, I learned today at my appointment), or cataract surgery.

Whew!...

He said that "Alternating Apoxia" is an obsolete name for my condition, and that the more exact, correct name is "Intermittent Exotropia." Still kind of a mouthful, but OK...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2016, 10:07:12 pm »
MW, I have the rest of my vision check in December - the cataract one, of which I have no signs whatsoever and the glaucoma one, ditto, I have once a year, as my aunt had glaucoma.

Both names for your condition sound nasty!

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Caledon MacHinery (they/them)
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2016, 11:17:36 am »
Heh.
I got to touch some bagpipes for the first time ever...and even better, i got to try and play them.
Passion is like a Peatfire

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2016, 11:50:03 am »
Heh.
I got to touch some bagpipes for the first time ever...and even better, i got to try and play them.

Oh my, were earplugs required? ;D

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2016, 12:50:00 pm »
Heh.

Oh my, were earplugs required? ;D

Nah, the mediaeval bagpipes they let me try on make a lot less noise than the great highland or Northumbrian bagpipes do.

barb dwyer

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Same planet ~ different world
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2016, 10:39:49 pm »
After a long haitus plagued with health banalities,
university interruption and personal trivialities far too mundane to describe
much less subject anyone else to enduring the explanative detail ...

I logged in to Brass Goggles for the first time in at least two years.

For today, that will have to be all.
*Relentless Optimystic *

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2016, 10:40:40 pm »
Will you be taking up the playing of them, then, Caledonian?

Welcome back, barb, you have been missed!

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2016, 08:00:31 am »
Will you be taking up the playing of them, then, Caledonian?

I definitely would! If i can find someone to teach me.... (this teacher came from koln, and that's a bit far away...)

Will Howard

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2016, 03:37:42 pm »
Would the goats like the music?  (Have you gotten them yet?)
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

Siliconous Skumins

• Server Monk
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2016, 08:13:45 pm »
Finally had the time to spend working on my DIY solar power system today, and managed to fix a few issues with the wiring and battery packs.

The system comprises of 12 x 12watt Amorphous panels on hinged mounts on a south facing wall, 2 x 40Watt Amorphous panels (soon to be relocated to a south wall, and 4 x 120W Mono-crystalline panels (currently not fitted, soon to be wall mounted). Unfortunately the system is shaded by a large tree in my neighbours property, however the sun finds it's way past during the course of the day, and in winter the tree has no leaves and the sun is low in the sky which works just fine with the Amorphous panels (these panels can cope with partial shading better than other types).
The original plan was to fit the 120 Watt panels to the roof, but this has proved to be problematic for a number of reasons, so they will be wall mounted in position to take maximum advantage of the sun in these locations. It's a much lower output, but should be sufficient.

The battery bank consist of 16 battery packs from an APC Symmetra PX 20kVA (20,000 Watts!)  3 Phase UPS system. However these batteries are old and were removed from service (I got them for free), and in the meantime four of the packs have died. The rest are not the healthiest batteries, but the combined output provides me with enough reserve power to run my laptop, raspberry Pi, LCD monitor, speaker system and two 5W LEDs (35W equiv) in my wall-lights, for SIX DAYS continuously. Longer if I go past 50% discharge of battery (bad for battery health).  ;D

I have just received information that the place where I obtained my batteries from, is planning to upgrade their UPS system in the next four years (just in time for the current battery pack to expire), which means I have an opportunity to get more replacement batteries, and MASSIVELY OVERKILL my power generation ability with the old UPS unit - hehewhole house UPS backup!!!  ;)
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #210 on: September 30, 2016, 05:05:56 pm »
I got my car back from the garage!
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Siliconous Skumins

• Server Monk
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2016, 07:40:25 pm »
I got my car back from the garage!

YAY!!  ;D

Always a good feeling, isn't it.  ;)  Hope you get some decent driving weather before the crappy wet winter days arrive!

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #212 on: September 30, 2016, 08:24:02 pm »
Would the goats like the music?  (Have you gotten them yet?)

Yes! They've been with us for 5 weeks now. Today the bugger managed to escape, but other than that they make me happy every single day by simply being goats.
They don't seem to mind bagpipe music

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2016, 02:28:42 pm »
At some point this weekend the last of my loan repayments will be made, which means that after five years I have fully paid off my Masters degree. 

It's a nice feeling.   

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2016, 09:19:21 am »
James, there is nothing quite like having your Uni debt paid off! I managed it before Christmas last year, and the weight off my shoulders was huge. Not only paid off my Uni debt, but managed to get myself completely debt free for the first time in 26 years!

Oh, the relief, the relief! ;D
So now I owe nuthin' to nobody.

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2016, 12:31:54 pm »
Oh, I still have the undergrad loans to pay off... but they're a Government scheme that takes a stupidly small sum a month (usually, the interest added each year negates anything you pay off) and get written off after 25 years anyway.  The postgrad loan on the other hand was from a bank and therefore had to be paid each month with an agreement to pay off in 5 years unless I wanted the bailiffs to come pay a visit. 

Just getting one of them (the loans I mean, not the bailiffs) off my back is a huge relief. 

Today's happiness comes from being able to drive my car a little while.  The work done on it has really turned it around.  It's now quiet enough to be able to hold a conversation without shouting yourself hoarse, a lot of the rumbling clanking and banging around the back end has gone. It's quicker building up speed, it holds speed better and with more assurance and it rides much more steadily.  It's a really nice thing to drive now, almost civilised. 

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #216 on: October 03, 2016, 01:20:24 am »
I had the government HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme), which covers undergrad & regular postgrad, and lingered on your tax record until it was paid off or you died - no 25 year cut off here! Also wanted to make sure nothing was owing in case the "Big Move" comes off - would have had to pay the full amount before I could leave the country permanently. And, because I paid it without being asked, I got a nice little rebate amounting to 5% of the total - win all round, I'd say!!

My Higher Degree by Research (HDR) being undertaken now is not subject to HECS - in fact, it is essentially free. The Uni provides facilities, supervisor(s), library services, etc., gratis - the only expenses are what you choose to pay out for your own private resources, trips, etc. The present government (conservative) has plans to change that, but as I am already enrolled I won't be subject to any changes.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2016, 01:07:14 pm »
Had to visit the ol' dentist today. Had a filling done with no injection.

I honestly thought the Hungarian lady was joshing when she said no injection, "we will see how it goes", and some kind of pain threshold test was in play with me as the one screaming in agony as she drilled like a mad woman possesed, Marathon Man movie instantly sprung to mind.

All went well tho' no pain, no dribbling......... 55 quid for 8 minutes work tho'  ::)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 01:17:58 pm by SeVeNeVeS »

Cora Courcelle

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2016, 04:17:37 pm »

All went well tho' no pain, no dribbling......... 55 quid for 8 minutes work tho'  ::)

Glad there was no pain.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #219 on: October 09, 2016, 10:00:13 am »

All went well tho' no pain, no dribbling......... 55 quid for 8 minutes work tho'  ::)

Glad there was no pain.
I believe no one was happier than me in that respect, many thanks for the thought young lady.

morozow

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Billboard unformatted events
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2016, 06:55:09 pm »
Sitting on the terrace of his dacha in the header. For not the month of may.

I'm on holiday. I'm alone in the house.

Went to the forest for mushrooms. No mushrooms.

Cut and sawed the tree. Yesterday, the branch fell on his head. Thanks to the leather cowboy hat with fur, your head isn't injured.

Another area flew titmouse, and krasnogruda.

Now I have a samovar and a "dacha" tea. When the kettle put the leaves and berries found on the site.

I have pies and pancakes with honey.

I feel good.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Cora Courcelle

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2016, 09:13:44 pm »
I believe no one was happier than me in that respect, many thanks for the thought young lady.
[/quote]

And thank you for the 'young'  :)

frances

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2016, 10:34:05 pm »
I ran out of creative juices a while ago.  I have tried various things to try to get going - and today it worked.  I went to an exhibition of hats and I am now unblocked.  I have a number of ideas floating around in my head for a steampunk fascinator.  Hooray. 

The big question is shall I make a lace peacock or a quilted dove??

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2016, 04:28:56 am »
Having not seen hide nor hair (since February!) of the bloke who does my yard, acquired the temporary services of my two-doors down neighbour for the the use of his automated lawn mowers - now have eight goats in my backyard, gradually reducing the jungle to something resembling lawn!!

The are Boers - white with brown heads and ears, and the ears are floppy! There are three nannys, two yearling kids and three kids of this year's drop They have curved back horns, and are all very gentle. I think one of the nannys is about to drop kids - I think twins - from the look of her, though Peter Owner) says she isn't pregnant. One of the yearlings is hers, so it's quite likely he's wrong! (no billy goat, he was turned into someones dinner, with plenty left over to freeze!).

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2016, 05:19:35 am »
Having not seen hide nor hair (since February!) of the bloke who does my yard, acquired the temporary services of my two-doors down neighbour for the the use of his automated lawn mowers - now have eight goats in my backyard, gradually reducing the jungle to something resembling lawn!!

The are Boers - white with brown heads and ears, and the ears are floppy! There are three nannys, two yearling kids and three kids of this year's drop They have curved back horns, and are all very gentle. I think one of the nannys is about to drop kids - I think twins - from the look of her, though Peter Owner) says she isn't pregnant. One of the yearlings is hers, so it's quite likely he's wrong! (no billy goat, he was turned into someones dinner, with plenty left over to freeze!).

Goats are always a good thing!

Speaking of which, my goats are getting their winter coat and now are even more fluffy and pettable.