Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 88543 times)

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!
    • The Writings of A.J. Smith
Re: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!
« Reply #1425 on: July 31, 2022, 12:23:00 pm »
Have an interview lined up for the 4th. My retirement lasted less than 6 months if I get the job, but hey! I'll have got the job, right?

Also, found a recipe for what looks like to be a pretty decent looking (and authentic) shatta. That pleases me. Way better'n the one masquerading as a shatta that's just... crushed red peppers and ground black pepper. Granted, most people I know trying to eat shatta are the kind of people who'd die the death eating proper Thai (not even "Thai Hot" Thai, just regular proper heat Thai) food... so red pepper and black pepper is about it.

I myself will be subbing in bird's eye/Piri Piri peppers, Thai peppers, and Cayenne peppers in the proper recipe, hottest it listed was serrano. Which don't get me wrong, is nice, but shatta is supposed to be HOT. I'd like to combine the shatta with a chili oil, and use that as a chilis in an eastern style (vinegar based) barbecue sauce. If there's any more culinary inclined minds here who may have input on that, I'd love to hear it.

also working on getting some of my flexibility back after 2 years of bone grinding on concrete floors for long shifts, followed by very sedentary months after leaving that job, followed by a week in a hospital bed and several weeks after staying mostly sitting or in bed. I'm as flexible as an axe handle these days. and that will just simply not do.
First off, 3 minutes? Hel's Holiest of Bells, how'd you manage that? And how do I start training my lungs for that?!

As to the flexibility, Yoga. Also as much weight lifting as you can handle. That's the best I've got there.
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

RJBowman

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1426 on: July 31, 2022, 05:56:08 pm »
I know some people like Treasure Planet. Did you know there was a Bulgarian version? No, it isn't a knockoff film; it was made 20 years earlier.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SCFL4TSuBM&ab_channel=midoled

The animation looks like a fusion of Osamu Tezuka and early Nelvana.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1427 on: August 01, 2022, 05:11:03 am »
I know some people like Treasure Planet. Did you know there was a Bulgarian version? No, it isn't a knockoff film; it was made 20 years earlier.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SCFL4TSuBM&ab_channel=midoled

The animation looks like a fusion of Osamu Tezuka and early Nelvana.

What fresh hell is this?! Look, I enjoy an acid trip as much as the next guy, but Hel's Holiest of Bells, that's... I've seen some things. And some stuff.

I wouldn't recommend it!

Unless you're completely stoned.

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #1428 on: August 01, 2022, 09:18:22 am »

First off, 3 minutes? Hel's Holiest of Bells, how'd you manage that? And how do I start training my lungs for that?!

As to the flexibility, Yoga. Also as much weight lifting as you can handle. That's the best I've got there.

for both the flexibility and the breathing exercises, I'm working on things I used to have a natural inclination toward when I was younger. I used to creep my baby sitter out when I'd sit on the floor watching TV one hand on the floor elbow bent past 90 degrees and spine like a snake.
also scared the crap out of some lady at the beach as a kid. I used to watch the light on the bottom of the lake by just taking a deep breath and floating face down peacefully just floating like a jellyfish... until i felt somebody poke me and popped my head up and heard a startled scream. I'd been floating face down for so long a lady and one of the lifeguards had thought I was dead. lol. I was told I wasn't allowed to float like that anymore.

after covid twice, and hospital bed for a week and being fairly sedentary... plus if I'm honest I haven't been in the water for decades, due in some part to body image issues made worse by uncles and other family making fun of my body issues. So I've not really been keeping up with my swimming practice. and the test run I did last week had me gasping at 1:45.

But I know a couple years ago there was one of those videos or other that did one of those people swimming from one pocket of air to another scenes that's supposed to be tense. I gulped some air, and held it with them. the came up for air once, and I kept holding as they gulped and went down again. and breathed the second time they came up. so I knew that within the last 3-4 years I could still make 2 minutes.

so I just did a modified rapid improvment exercise routine that I do from time to time.

For breathing: do a breath hold for finding your max. and then for the rest of the day do 30% of that every hour. the next day of 50% every hour. third day is 60% every 45 minutes. ( I also on day 2 and 3 started with a breathing exercise in the morning of breath in hold for 30 let it out and at the end of breathing out, breath in and hold it for 30 seconds.... repeat 10 times without a rest in the middle, it helps get you adapted to higher co2 levels almost like free diving training). I'd also test my max at certain points through the day on day 3. I started day 3 with 2 minutes. mid day was 2:45. and the end of the day I laid back, hyperventilated first, sucked in as much air as I could and sort of meditated. managing what I think is my first recorded 3:00. that one did leave me huffing and puffing for a minute or so afterwards.

I was doing a variant of that for flexibility, though had some errands to do one day, and will be going in for surgery later today so I can't do it every day.

I just restart when I have to skip a day. but you establish a base level of capability in a skill and after that:
week 1
days 1) 30%/60min 2) 50%/60min 3) 60%/45min 4) 25%/60min 5) 45%/30min 6) 40%/60min 7) 20%/90min 
week 2
days 1) 35%/45min 2) 50%/20min 3) 30%/15min 4) 65%/60min 5) 35%/45min 6) 45%/60min 7) 25%/120min

get plenty of sleep, warm up and stretch before any stressful workout. but yeah, I've done it for pushups, squats, stationary bike sprints and length of time pedaling.

recently a conversation I had sparked the idea that I might try it for improving things like art skills and math and other non-physical skills. just bring a sketch book or notebook with me wherever I go and when the time  comes for the intervals that day, pull it out and do some practice.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1429 on: August 02, 2022, 03:29:20 am »
I will certainly have to start trying that out. Main reason I ask is I had a rather nasty bout of pneumonia a few years back (just a few months before COVID, actually), and it left some scarring on my right lung that's made breathing rather... unpleasant. I'm one of those people in public for whom wearing a mask is difficult (but I do it any damn way), because of that.

If I can get breathing capacity back to some kind of normal (all the hospital did was give me a funny little device to blow in every couple of hours), that'd be a small victory for me!

As to flexibility, I've not ever been nearly that flexible, even back when I was doing gymnastics as a kid. These days I'm fairly well stiff, even if I can touch muh toes bending over. Just ya know, blown out hips, knees, shoulders, back, etc.... I've got more snap, crackle, and pop than a bowl of Rice Crispies!

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #1430 on: August 02, 2022, 04:37:22 am »
if you do, go carefully. I am no medical professional, so listen to your body and don't hurt yourself by pushing too hard against your limitations. You might start with simple box breathing exercises, it's supposed to be good for anxiety and focus. It's just exhaling to a count of four, holding empty for a count of four, breathing in for a count of four, and holding for  count of four. And again check with a doctor to make sure they think it's safe to try any of that first.

I have one of those spirometers from my hospital stay too. the stuck in bed for most of the week is a risk for clots and fluid build up in the lungs. I didn't do it all the time, but I did have a bit of fun seeing how much and how fast I could improve. It wouldn't hurt to at least use it to get some actual numbers for seeing your start and any progress you make.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1431 on: August 02, 2022, 06:28:22 am »
I use box breathing all the time, and have several variations I do, actually. Depends on the type of anxiety, how long I'll inhale, hold, and exhale. Also if I'm using it for meditation (which I do, regularly).

Yeah, I probably should have kept using the thing, but I figured once I capped it to about a quarter of the way from the top and couldn't get it any higher that was that. May buy a new one and go for it. As luck would have it, I have a doctor's visit (totally different reason) in the morning, will get their advice on it.

One good thing from it is it got me to quit smoking for good (hookah included--which I mean... won't lie, I really, *really* miss)!

EDIT: Job interview Monday. Warehouse work, decent hours, decent pay, close in. Should be super easy, even with my broken body. If I nail the interview, we'll be no only fiscally stable again, we'll be stupidly stable, and able to splurge comfortably again (i.e. my stupid habit of buying guitars/other instruments can continue).

In addition, I'll be able to buy a couple more printers and possibly snag a merchant's license for some of the STL patreons I'm subbed to and do 3D printing of D&D minis on the side as a gig.

All in all, not a bad way to hit mid-week.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 12:25:12 pm by Xenos »

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1432 on: August 05, 2022, 01:44:45 pm »
Normally since I'm the last person to post, I'd just edit that one, but I feel like this one deserves a full post. Biopsy for the lump they ripped out of me came back in. I am still cancer-free. Totally benign.

Shaking, crying, can't even describe the relief.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #1433 on: August 05, 2022, 02:53:43 pm »
I know exactly how that feels.

It's rather good not being dead.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #1434 on: August 05, 2022, 03:59:38 pm »
It's rather good not being dead.

It does make everything else much easier.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1435 on: August 05, 2022, 06:55:02 pm »
Just got a call-back from a job application. Phone interview Monday afternoon.

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
  • I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)
« Reply #1436 on: August 05, 2022, 09:42:57 pm »
Good fortune to all here.  :)
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #1437 on: August 06, 2022, 03:53:56 am »
Good luck! (though I hope you don't need luck!)

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1438 on: August 07, 2022, 05:00:31 pm »

Sorontar

Thank you kindly! I'll know tomorrow after about 2PM. I really, really hope I get it.

In other news, day 3ish of recovery, and while the pain is still there, it's at a point I don't constantly need a pain pill to mitigate it. Moving around is still a bit tricky, won't lie, but I'm mending nicely.

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
« Reply #1439 on: August 07, 2022, 07:17:47 pm »

Sorontar

Thank you kindly! I'll know tomorrow after about 2PM. I really, really hope I get it.

In other news, day 3ish of recovery, and while the pain is still there, it's at a point I don't constantly need a pain pill to mitigate it. Moving around is still a bit tricky, won't lie, but I'm mending nicely.

Just take it easy & no pushing yourself.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 07:34:48 pm by Mercury Wells »

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1440 on: August 08, 2022, 05:43:23 pm »

Sorontar

Just got off the phone; it looks promising. Next steps are a technical assessment and a video interview. Fingers crossed.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1441 on: August 09, 2022, 06:32:16 pm »
Just got off the phone with a second prospective employer; this one approached me!

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
« Reply #1442 on: August 09, 2022, 09:08:07 pm »
I bet you're chuffed about that?.  ;D

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1443 on: August 09, 2022, 09:38:01 pm »
I bet you're chuffed about that?.  ;D

Darn straight!