Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 84882 times)

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
Re: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!
« Reply #1375 on: May 22, 2022, 04:09:37 pm »
Watch out for stuff like asbestos and lead paint, though...

Oh heck, yes.  I think anybody buying an older property (in the UK at least) should take it as read that there will be asbestos lurking somewhere.  Because it is/was such a versatile material, it can literally crop up anywhere.   

With lead paint, my understanding is that if it isn't actually crumbling off the walls and you don't do something foolish like (say) lick it, then you can just encapsulate it.  I found some in my hallway and if I remember right dealt with it by painting over it with a specially formulated primer. 

But I'm sure Sir Henry is already well-versed in these sorts of things as he's done restorations before. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #1376 on: May 22, 2022, 07:12:20 pm »
Thankfully, as it was a hostel for vulnerable people, I'm fairly certain that all of that sort of stuff was removed when the houses were converted into one. I am so looking forward to seeing the survey in a couple of weeks.

I'll do what I can to post a record of what we do to the place. But be warned, the primary aim of the work will to make an old house as energy-efficient as possible rather than recreate a Victorian aesthetic like James' wonderful project.

On the other hand, this is the first time we've had a free hand to decorate our home the way we want to so anything could happen (and the kraken is coming with us). Though I'm told that I won't be allowed to dig a second basement with a door in the front wall at street level with a paternoster lift (powered by a wind turbine obviously). Though I don't agree with the idea that Sheffield only needs one paternoster and it has one already.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat
« Reply #1377 on: May 23, 2022, 07:29:18 am »
Hostel or not, main rule of life when it comes to landlords is: Don't trust anyone.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!
    • The Writings of A.J. Smith
« Reply #1378 on: May 23, 2022, 11:50:18 pm »
Well, it finally arrived.
Image, since using the img tag skews it

Seller shipped it to me with dead, rusted, broken strings (which I kind of expected, they did the barest of minimums all around), in a case full of... in essence, garbage (though I did get an Ibanez SoundTank "'60s Fuzz" pedal out of it). Lots of paper, lots of trash, an Eric Clapton Tab/Songbook (you can see that in the picture)... Seller claims it's sat unused for 20 years under a bed. I mean, maybe, but gods above, you've just sold it to a collector, at least throw a new set of strings on it.

Anyroad, I've ripped the strings off, I'll be taking it to my luthier sometime this week to have the frets polished, and the electrical checked out, bridge setup.

All said, I'm pleased with the purchase, seller **did** ship it fast, and they **did** advertise it as missing strings. So ultimately, I guess I got exactly what I paid for? Just the lack of professionalism, ya know?

For those what care for such things, it's a James Westhimer 1987 Lotus Dragon Explorer, #9 out of 50 made. All considered, it's in better shape than some I've seen, and is in factory original condition.

I'm super stoked to finally have what's been a guitar I've been looking for for the better part of 20 years (Lotus Explorer) in my collection, and to have such a rare example (Dragon) as that as the representation is just icing on the cake. This will become a staple of my lineup for sure!
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #1379 on: June 02, 2022, 10:34:49 pm »
After being on the lookout for (I kid you not) over 20 years, I finally found Angostura bitters in my local super.

Now I just have to remember why I wanted it. ???
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #1380 on: June 03, 2022, 08:44:47 am »
With travel restrictions gone we are spending some time with my wife´s parents in Tbilisi.
Three weeks of Georgian food!
Hope I will not gain too much weight....
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Caledon MacHinery (they/them)
« Reply #1381 on: June 03, 2022, 09:38:10 am »
I have passed all of my exams, and will be moving into honours gaelic next year!! :D
Passion is like a Peatfire

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat
« Reply #1382 on: June 03, 2022, 09:44:28 am »
With travel restrictions gone we are spending some time with my wife´s parents in Tbilisi.
Three weeks of Georgian food!
Hope I will not gain too much weight....

Of course you will, Georgian hospitality means plenty of food!  ;D  It's much the same every time I visit my relatives in Serbia and Bosnia.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1383 on: June 03, 2022, 09:45:56 am »
I have passed all of my exams, and will be moving into honours gaelic next year!! :D
Congratulations!!!
We knew you could do it!

As for Gaelic - it's all Greek to me. ;)

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1384 on: June 03, 2022, 12:37:02 pm »

Congratulations! Well done!

Mercury Wells

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)
« Reply #1385 on: June 04, 2022, 04:42:40 am »
Congratulations!!!
We knew you could do it!

Don't you mean Double Dutch?.  ;D
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1386 on: June 04, 2022, 05:49:11 am »
Congratulations!!!
We knew you could do it!

Don't you mean Double Dutch?.  ;D
Touché!

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1387 on: June 04, 2022, 10:08:07 am »

Oh heck, yes.  I think anybody buying an older property (in the UK at least) should take it as read that there will be asbestos lurking somewhere.  Because it is/was such a versatile material, it can literally crop up anywhere.   

With lead paint, my understanding is that if it isn't actually crumbling off the walls and you don't do something foolish like (say) lick it, then you can just encapsulate it.  I found some in my hallway and if I remember right dealt with it by painting over it with a specially formulated primer. 

But I'm sure Sir Henry is already well-versed in these sorts of things as he's done restorations before. 

Asbestos sheeting is like lead paint - if it's undamaged and painted, and can be repainted without taking chunks out of it, it too is perfectly safe. It's only when it's unpainted or damaged that it's dangerous. The builder who did my reno a few years ago showed me a safe way tp remove painted asbestos sheeting - really neat!

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1388 on: June 04, 2022, 10:10:07 am »

Very well done, Caledonian! Well worth the effort and angst!

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #1389 on: June 04, 2022, 02:07:15 pm »

HUZZAH! Congrats and all that! Knew you could do it.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #1390 on: June 05, 2022, 12:23:42 am »
If only I could speak Gaelic I could congratulate you accordingly... Meala-naidheachd ort! (with thanks to Mr Google).

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Caledon MacHinery (they/them)
« Reply #1391 on: June 06, 2022, 11:01:24 pm »
 Mòran taing a h-uile duine, that is to say...thank you all for the congratulations and celebrations!
it's been some really weird years, but onwards and upwards from here :)

both Gaelic and Dutch (even of the double variety) are perfectly acceptable languages, but please don't attempt to communicate with me in greek  :P

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1392 on: July 01, 2022, 06:36:10 pm »
House update - after waiting 5 weeks to hear anything at all from the sellers, we got a copy of the Land Registry plan of the property and it looks like they were hiding something. Our garden is more than twice the size we were told it was by the estate agent. It now contains a cherry orchard. Well, a wilderness really, but there are at least two cherry trees in there and possibly other fruit trees. As we were told it wasn't part of the sale we haven't looked closely.
So there's a people garden, a vegetable garden and a fruit and wildlife garden. This time next year I may just give up on the house and live outside.

So I may have to add a tree house to the To Do list.  ;D

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #1393 on: July 01, 2022, 07:25:00 pm »
House update - after waiting 5 weeks to hear anything at all from the sellers, we got a copy of the Land Registry plan of the property and it looks like they were hiding something. Our garden is more than twice the size we were told it was by the estate agent. It now contains a cherry orchard. Well, a wilderness really, but there are at least two cherry trees in there and possibly other fruit trees. As we were told it wasn't part of the sale we haven't looked closely.
So there's a people garden, a vegetable garden and a fruit and wildlife garden. This time next year I may just give up on the house and live outside.

Not adding one of those medieval ruin thingies?

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1394 on: July 01, 2022, 09:20:57 pm »

Naah — they always have leaky roofs.

Mercury Wells

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)
« Reply #1395 on: July 01, 2022, 11:39:48 pm »

Sounds like this is going to open a can of worms.  :(

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1396 on: July 02, 2022, 06:03:40 am »

Oooh, a folly!
Having just been to Hackfall Woods last week* that's a very tempting idea.

*A Greek friend was over and desperate to see some greenery. Hackfall is probably the greenest place I know and it was a great excuse for one last visit before we move south.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #1397 on: July 02, 2022, 11:04:29 am »

If you have the room you have to add a Folly, a pond big or small for the wildlife and that tree house, the only problem I have is my garden is tiny and things take so long to look wheathered, I'm thinking of the yoghurt/ poop/ moss spore mix route eventually but not sure about it.

https://www.chilstone.com/chilstone-news/top-ten-tips-for-antiquing-and-personalising-your-cast-stone

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #1398 on: Today at 01:42:12 am »

If you have the room you have to add a Folly, a pond big or small for the wildlife and that tree house, the only problem I have is my garden is tiny and things take so long to look wheathered, I'm thinking of the yoghurt/ poop/ moss spore mix route eventually but not sure about it.

https://www.chilstone.com/chilstone-news/top-ten-tips-for-antiquing-and-personalising-your-cast-stone

I have a couple of large garden statues that I got cheap because they were painted gold... I used oven cleaner and a high pressure hose and copious scrubbing to clean them off. 7 years later they are just getting a slight green tinge, but it doesn't seem to be thickening much. I might try Seasol (seaweed fertiliser) and see if it makes a difference. The yoghurt mix made no difference at all... I think the main problem was that the surface of the statues just wasn't porous enough to retain enough moisture to grow moss.