Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 84562 times)

morozow

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Billboard unformatted events
Re: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!
« Reply #1350 on: May 02, 2022, 09:05:17 pm »
As a previous nay sayer against technology, I just do not get the obsession........

So, I eat my words. I got spotify on my PC added it to my phone and bought some headphones.......

As I understand you.

Just yesterday and today.

A Chinese radio receiver is smaller than a pack of cigarettes, 4 gigabytes of memory, a torrent with old radio performances.

And a whole day of stories that sound out of my breast pocket. In the dacha, you can not plug your ears with headphones.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #1351 on: May 06, 2022, 12:10:52 am »
Just can't believe how quickly the eight little birds have grown feathers!

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat
« Reply #1352 on: May 06, 2022, 04:01:04 am »
End of another week and I haven't bought the farm yet. Yay.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #1353 on: May 11, 2022, 05:10:37 pm »
Little birds are leaving.
Went into the shower this morning and noticed a small bird outside on the window sill.
Checked the webcam: YES, one of "mine".
I saw Number 3 leave while standing in the garden.
Now only one remains.
Maybe this one will stay overnight.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #1354 on: May 12, 2022, 12:49:01 am »
Little birds are leaving.
Went into the shower this morning and noticed a small bird outside on the window sill.
Checked the webcam: YES, one of "mine".
I saw Number 3 leave while standing in the garden.
Now only one remains.
Maybe this one will stay overnight.

That was so fast! We just looked at them yesterday and couldn't believe how quickly their feathers had grown. I'm sure by the time we look tonight (our time) they will all be gone!

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #1355 on: May 12, 2022, 06:12:40 pm »
Last one spent another night and left this morning.

For those interested, here are the usage statistics of the camera:

I´ll leave the box as it is for a month. Maybe some other birds will move in.

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #1356 on: May 13, 2022, 12:15:28 am »
Last one spent another night and left this morning.

For those interested, here are the usage statistics of the camera:

I´ll leave the box as it is for a month. Maybe some other birds will move in.

No other bird will move in if the remains of the previous nest is there - they have to build their own nest - it is a survival instinct that prevents parasites and/or disease killing off the next lot of young. If you remove the nesting material you might get other birds to nest there.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #1357 on: May 13, 2022, 01:22:31 am »
We find the possums takeover old nests because they are lazy.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #1358 on: May 13, 2022, 12:48:59 pm »
No other bird will move in if the remains of the previous nest is there - they have to build their own nest - it is a survival instinct that prevents parasites and/or disease killing off the next lot of young. If you remove the nesting material you might get other birds to nest there.

One time sparrows have taken over an old nest.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!
    • The Writings of A.J. Smith
« Reply #1359 on: May 15, 2022, 07:36:48 am »
Added a new guitar to the colletion!

Now, it's not here yet (that's the image from the seller's page), but it will be sometime early next week. That's a James Westhimer 1987 Lotus Dragon Explorer. Specifically, it's #3 of 50 made. Now, them of you what know me, you know I'm a bit of a gearhead. You also know I'm a bit of a musician. You know given half a chance, I'll talk all day about it.

So rather'n talk all day about it, I'll just say a Lotus Explorer is a guitar I've been after for many years. Rough estimate, 2/3rds of my life, probably more. To have a Lotus DRAGON Explorer is beyond my wildest dreams. And for it to be one of the first produced... I'm beyond words. I'm just... I'm blown away. And it's in immaculate condition, only a few chips here and there.
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #1360 on: May 15, 2022, 11:05:39 pm »
Very nice. I presume you play right-handed and that is how it is stringed.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1361 on: May 17, 2022, 11:41:18 pm »
Very nice. I presume you play right-handed and that is how it is stringed.

That is correct. Fun fact, this'll make uh... 27 guitars and basses I own now? I think? If I'm counting right? Lessee...
Guitar and Bass List (does not include ukes, mandolins, drums, etc.:

Electric Guitars:
Vox V241 Bulldog
Lotus/Morris L-400 Falcon
Fender MiM Strat
Fender MiM Tele
Ibanez AK95DVB
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez ICX120 Iceman
Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro Deluxe
Firefly FFTH
Brooklyn Double Neck
EART w2 Headless
Mountain Krait Headless
Washburn Lyon

Acoustic Guitars:
Kay KDG 70 Acoustic x2 (one for DADGAD tuning)
Ibanez EW2012ASENT
Ibanez EW20ASENT
Aria AD75
Lauren LA125
Maestro Parlor Guitar

Basses:
Fender MiM Precision Bass
Fender MiM Precision Jazz (fretless) Bass
Maestro Fretless Headless Bass
Kaman GTX 300 5 String
Rogue LX205B Series II
Ibanez UB804 Upswing Electric Upright

Before anyone says anything about the number of instruments I own (because yes, with the folk instruments and drums it starts to get a little silly) I am am former studio musician, and as recently as last year actually had a song that had radio airplay locally. So it's not like I'm not using them (and yes, I do get judged rather harshly about the gear list).

Another fun fact about my gear: The Fender instruments (P-Bass, J-Bass, Strat, Tele), are all MiM, all Midnight Wine. Took me 21 years, 11 months, 26 days to complete the collection. Got the first one (the P-Bass) on my Birthday in 2000, got the last one as an early Birthday gift this year. Now all I have to do is swap out the pickguards on a couple of 'em to an antiquated Mother of Pearl and they'll all match!

Now, back to the matter of the Dragon Lotus Explorer... unfortunately, the seller messaged me and told me I will not, in fact, be getting #3, the bridge on the one pictured was damaged in packing, so they refunded me. S'what I get for counting my chickens before they hatch. All THAT said, I was able to track one down from another seller, and hoping it will, in fact, be #27 in my collection. This seller claims it as a "Closet Relic," so there's absolutely no reason it should take any damage in shipping at all. Though to be fair, my luck ordering vintage gear on Reverb has been... Not great.

Here's to hoping!

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #1362 on: May 18, 2022, 12:00:52 am »
Before anyone says anything about the number of instruments I own (because yes, with the folk instruments and drums it starts to get a little silly) I am am former studio musician, and as recently as last year actually had a song that had radio airplay locally. So it's not like I'm not using them (and yes, I do get judged rather harshly about the gear list).

After hearing about Randy Bachman's collection, I do not judge.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1363 on: May 18, 2022, 08:23:16 am »

After hearing about Randy Bachman's collection, I do not judge.

Yeah... He's uh... He's got a few on me, I'll admit! Also just found a dude what's got over 240 **Les Pauls** which is 'bout a few, to be certain. I need to lay hands on a Lawsuit Era Ibanez Les Paul Copy--sorry Gibson, I just can't play Authentically. Jimmy Page is said to have more than 1500 instruments in his collection.

Heh, I remember when I was a kid thinking my da was all that and a bag of chips because he had his Vox V241, his Lotus/Morris L-400, and his Kay KDG70 (interesting note, the Vox and Lotus are mine now, the Vox being my first 6 String, the Lotus just being given to me not too long ago--he got a Gibson Les Paul for his 50th a long while ago, and just stopped playing it--couldn't stand seeing it not get played for so long, so I took it off his hands).

Back to the topic at hand, things that make me happy: NEW GEAR. I have an FDM 3D printer now! So I've got SLA and FDM. Just have to set it up. So that's more printing to do! YAY. Going to be printing a village for D&D. Also going to be attempting to build a gaming table for D&D. Dunno how that'll work out. 6x4, recessed gaming vault.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #1364 on: May 18, 2022, 11:16:03 am »
[snip]Also going to be attempting to build a gaming table for D&D. Dunno how that'll work out. 6x4, recessed gaming vault.
I made one for my local hackspace a few years ago; it turned out rather well:

"A table for the weekly D&D nights. Each player's section contains a mythical (mostly) animal, an element colour, a Celtic key pattern block and a USB charge point. Each section is divided from the next by a low barrier except the double section for the DM which has a pop-up larger shielding barrier. This is the DM's view."
You can just about see that underneath is another shelf for storing models, rule books, etc. and for the projector to sit on.

"The table has a lid that fits over the top to protect it when not in use and an acrylic section in the middle for projecting maps, etc. from below.
There are plans for LED strips along the low barriers, so each player can be coloured appropriately (sickly green for poisoned, red for burned, etc.) or animated for fireballs, lightning bolts, etc."
The LED strips haven't happened yet, but since the end of lockdowns the table is being used much more so they may still be added.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1365 on: May 20, 2022, 06:24:46 pm »
I've probably mentioned on here before that we're trying to move house. We have been for about 3 1/2 years.
Finally, a few months ago, things started to happen and we could house-hunt properly.

We found a nice little place which would mean downsizing and the garden is small, but it's cozy and carefree, needing virtually nothing doing to it. Not our usual thing at all, as we usually buy places that need some loving restoration, but we're tired and desperate to move and the housing market is a nightmare at the moment, with everywhere selling within a fortnight.
We put in an offer, wrote a gushing testimonial and they accepted the offer. A week later they let us know that the house they were buying wasn't on the market yet, which was a bit worrying. A month later they got back in touch and casually mentioned that the house they wanted still wasn't on the market as there were some 'family disagreements'. This said to us that the owners had died and their kids were fighting over the will. From personal experience, this can take up to 7 years to sort out and we need to move by September...

So we had another look at houses and found two houses, semi-detatched, being sold as one. It was converted into a hostel and needs loads of work doing to it (the entire garden is covered in tarmac for a start!). But it cost the same as the little cozy house - no contest.

We put in an offer and it was accepted!
So in a couple of months we should be living here:

I know, from previous experience, not to count chickens before they hatch but just for today I'm happy and relieved. Just hoping that in three months time I'll be grubby and exhausted, converting the attic and cellars.

Madasasteamfish

• A clanger waiting to be dropped......
  • Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #1366 on: May 20, 2022, 07:32:56 pm »
Hold on. I may not know that building, but I damn well recognise the design of that bus shelter!

Unless I'm much mistaken, you're moving to South Yorkshire! Somewhere in Sheffield/Rotherham area, I do believe.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1367 on: May 20, 2022, 09:49:00 pm »
Hold on. I may not know that building, but I damn well recognise the design of that bus shelter!

Unless I'm much mistaken, you're moving to South Yorkshire! Somewhere in Sheffield/Rotherham area, I do believe.
I cannot tell a lie; we're moving to Sheffield. I had said in another thread that we were moving to Steel City, but that just caused confusion as there seems to be one in just about every major country in the world.

Looking forward to exploring the area. Any recommendations?

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #1368 on: May 21, 2022, 12:00:16 am »
I've probably mentioned on here before that we're trying to move house. We have been for about 3 1/2 years.
Finally, a few months ago, things started to happen and we could house-hunt properly.

We found a nice little place which would mean downsizing and the garden is small, but it's cozy and carefree, needing virtually nothing doing to it. Not our usual thing at all, as we usually buy places that need some loving restoration, but we're tired and desperate to move and the housing market is a nightmare at the moment, with everywhere selling within a fortnight.
We put in an offer, wrote a gushing testimonial and they accepted the offer. A week later they let us know that the house they were buying wasn't on the market yet, which was a bit worrying. A month later they got back in touch and casually mentioned that the house they wanted still wasn't on the market as there were some 'family disagreements'. This said to us that the owners had died and their kids were fighting over the will. From personal experience, this can take up to 7 years to sort out and we need to move by September...

So we had another look at houses and found two houses, semi-detatched, being sold as one. It was converted into a hostel and needs loads of work doing to it (the entire garden is covered in tarmac for a start!). But it cost the same as the little cozy house - no contest.

I know, from previous experience, not to count chickens before they hatch but just for today I'm happy and relieved. Just hoping that in three months time I'll be grubby and exhausted, converting the attic and cellars.

Looks like it will scrub up a treat! Would like to see a picture when the trees are fully clothed. And some updates on the interiors! (Living vicariously...)!

Madasasteamfish

• A clanger waiting to be dropped......
  • Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #1369 on: May 21, 2022, 08:35:45 am »

I cannot tell a lie; we're moving to Sheffield. I had said in another thread that we were moving to Steel City, but that just caused confusion as there seems to be one in just about every major country in the world.

Looking forward to exploring the area. Any recommendations?

Well, there's the local steampunk group (I'd recommend checking out their book of faces page for details as it's been a while since I was an active member), the industrial museums (Kelham Island museum and abbeydale industrial hamlet), The Sheffield Tap (a pub and attached microbrewery on the station housed in the old booking hall/refreshment room) and plenty of walks and other outdoor pursuits in the Peak District.

There's also plenty of other things within easy reach I may be able to recommend, but that depends on the specific inerests (and abilities) of you and your partner.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #1370 on: May 21, 2022, 11:50:35 am »

That looks fantastic (is it two properties split down the middle or one huge house?) I love cellars and loft spaces, often alot of damp issues but I wish I had a basement in my matchbox sized dwelling. Good on ya' and may the move be painless.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1371 on: May 21, 2022, 03:01:30 pm »
Once upon a time it was two houses, then the current owners converted them into one, a hostel for disabled teenagers.
So it has some weird bits (double size immersion heater in the 'laundry room') and sensible but redundant bits (handrails everywhere and a sink in every room, so we're going to have a lot of spare copper pipe to make something with).

By far the scariest part is the attic:

This is just part of it as both sides of the house had a large attic room, once upon a time. Then, as you can see from the yellow wall on the right, they took down the walls and took down the lath and plaster ceiling. No-one knows why. And while it doesn't smell of damp or dry rot, there is still a good chance that we will have to take the whole roof off, replace some/all of the roof joists.
There is one benefit of it being neglected - the insulation is so bad that it rates 'D', which is just bad enough that we can get a grant towards improvements. Which is nice.

So much work = so much that we can make exactly as we want it - the kraken bathroom was just a practice run. And now that I have access to a laser cutter that fits 8'x4' boards I'm planning on making all the floors interesting variations on parquet/inlay, including that black hole deformed grid pattern for a trompe l'oeil hole in the middle of one room.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #1372 on: May 22, 2022, 05:20:45 am »
Once upon a time it was two houses, then the current owners converted them into one, a hostel for disabled teenagers.
So it has some weird bits (double size immersion heater in the 'laundry room') and sensible but redundant bits (handrails everywhere and a sink in every room, so we're going to have a lot of spare copper pipe to make something with).

By far the scariest part is the attic:

This is just part of it as both sides of the house had a large attic room, once upon a time. Then, as you can see from the yellow wall on the right, they took down the walls and took down the lath and plaster ceiling. No-one knows why. And while it doesn't smell of damp or dry rot, there is still a good chance that we will have to take the whole roof off, replace some/all of the roof joists.
There is one benefit of it being neglected - the insulation is so bad that it rates 'D', which is just bad enough that we can get a grant towards improvements. Which is nice.

So much work = so much that we can make exactly as we want it - the kraken bathroom was just a practice run. And now that I have access to a laser cutter that fits 8'x4' boards I'm planning on making all the floors interesting variations on parquet/inlay, including that black hole deformed grid pattern for a trompe l'oeil hole in the middle of one room.

Now, if the proposal is acceptable, I would love to see a dedicated thread on this here house, I love seeing building projects and this looks like it could be huge. If you have the time and wouldn't mind of course. I appreciate you are going to be more than slightly busy, but I'm sure others here will be interested as well. 

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #1373 on: May 22, 2022, 08:20:00 am »
Wow!  Good luck Sir Henry!- and yes please if you can/ want to, please share what you do with the place!
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat
« Reply #1374 on: May 22, 2022, 04:00:41 pm »
Watch out for stuff like asbestos and lead paint, though...