The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 12:59:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 62069 times)
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1025 on: March 28, 2021, 12:43:47 pm »

The UK clocks went forward an hour, it's now officially British Summertime.

Happily trotted around the house changing times, until my Nemesis.

A Nixie clock purchased from Russia many, many years ago, this thing has a two button setting and has absolutely no logical sense. I can spend hours pushing said buttons in various combinations, usually with frustrating results.

It took me 5 minutes this morning, haven't a clue what I did, but showing the correct time.

All Ok and happy until winter, then , the battle begins again.................

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1026 on: March 28, 2021, 01:30:04 pm »

When I first saw this, I thought "Do the British have different times for Submarines....", then I re-read it.

I wonder how submarines keep time? I guess a sundial won't help.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1027 on: March 28, 2021, 06:13:07 pm »

When I first saw this, I thought "Do the British have different times for Submarines....", then I re-read it.

I wonder how submarines keep time? I guess a sundial won't help.

Sorontar
They use water clocks.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1028 on: March 29, 2021, 05:01:57 am »

Happily trotted around the house changing times, until my Nemesis.

A Nixie clock purchased from Russia many, many years ago, this thing has a two button setting and has absolutely no logical sense. I can spend hours pushing said buttons in various combinations, usually with frustrating results.

It took me 5 minutes this morning, haven't a clue what I did, but showing the correct time.

All Ok and happy until winter, then , the battle begins again.................

We did that weeks ago, but States are thinking it's time to do away with daylight savings time altogether. There's strong support from the people on a nationwide level according to statistics, and even though each state establishes its own policy on daylight savings time, for reasons I don't understand any change must be approved at the federal level. But now there are so many similar proposals at various state-congress chambers to eliminate the yearly change, that it looks like the federal Congress (?) may approve a nationwide measure to allow all states to eliminate the hated time change.

From wiki
Benjamin Franklin published the proverb "early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise",[16][17] and published a letter in the Journal de Paris during his time as an American envoy to France (1776–1785) suggesting that Parisians economize on candles by rising earlier to use morning sunlight.[18] This 1784 satire proposed taxing window shutters, rationing candles, and waking the public by ringing church bells and firing cannons at sunrise.[19] Despite common misconception, Franklin did not actually propose DST; 18th-century Europe did not even keep precise schedules. However, this changed as rail transport and communication networks required a standardization of time unknown in Franklin's day.[20]

In 1810, the Spanish National Assembly Cortes of Cádiz issued a regulation that moved certain meeting times forward by one hour from May 1 to September 30 in recognition of seasonal changes, but it did not actually change the clocks. It also acknowledged that private businesses were in the practice of changing their opening hours to suit daylight conditions, but they did so of their own volition.[21][22]

New Zealand entomologist George Hudson first proposed modern DST. His shift-work job gave him leisure time to collect insects and led him to value after-hours daylight.[23] In 1895, he presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society proposing a two-hour daylight-saving shift,[3] and considerable interest was expressed in Christchurch; he followed up with an 1898 paper.[24] Many publications credit the DST proposal to prominent English builder and outdoorsman William Willett,[25] who independently conceived DST in 1905 during a pre-breakfast ride when he observed how many Londoners slept through a large part of a summer day.[8] Willett also was an avid golfer who disliked cutting short his round at dusk.[26] His solution was to advance the clock during the summer months, and he published the proposal two years later.[27] Liberal Party member of parliament Robert Pearce took up the proposal, introducing the first Daylight Saving Bill to the House of Commons on February 12, 1908.[28] A select committee was set up to examine the issue, but Pearce's bill did not become law and several other bills failed in the following years.[29] Willett lobbied for the proposal in the UK until his death in 1915.

Port Arthur, Ontario, Canada was the first city in the world to enact DST, on July 1, 1908.[30][31] This was followed by Orillia, Ontario, introduced by William Sword Frost while mayor from 1911 to 1912.[32] The first states to adopt DST (German: Sommerzeit) nationally were those of the German Empire and its World War I ally Austria-Hungary commencing April 30, 1916, as a way to conserve coal during wartime. Britain, most of its allies, and many European neutrals soon followed. Russia and a few other countries waited until the next year, and the United States adopted daylight saving in 1918. Most jurisdictions abandoned DST in the years after the war ended in 1918, with exceptions including Canada, the UK, France, Ireland, and the United States.[33] It became common during World War II, and was widely adopted in America and Europe from the 1970s as a result of the 1970s energy crisis. Since then, the world has seen many enactments, adjustments, and repeals.

Here's crossing my fingers that comes true by next year.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:09:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1029 on: March 29, 2021, 11:44:29 am »

Daylight Savings Time in Australia (for those states that have it!) ends on Sunday, 4th April, (Easter Sunday) 2021, 2:00:00 am local standard time.
I must remember to put the wall clocks, and the clock on the stove, back one hour, and reset the car clock!
Hooray!! Back to normal time!!
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1030 on: March 29, 2021, 12:33:22 pm »

Daylight Savings Time in Australia (for those states that have it!) ends on Sunday, 4th April, (Easter Sunday) 2021, 2:00:00 am local standard time.
I must remember to put the wall clocks, and the clock on the stove, back one hour, and reset the car clock!

Arizona is always on normal time.
We don't do Daylight Savings, except for the Navaho Reservation in the NE corner of the state. The Rez extends into NM so it follows the time in NM.
But AZ tried it decades ago. Didn't work out very well; no one liked it.
So while the rest of Mountain States are MDT,  AZ is MST, which is the same time as PDT. In other words, if you want to know the  time in AZ when daylight savings is in effect everywhere else, just check the time in CA. Whatever time it is in CA, that is what time it is in AZ.
I like staying on standard time. I don't miss not having daylight savings at all.   
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 12:35:15 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1031 on: March 29, 2021, 08:24:53 pm »

They use water clocks.

Oh, well played, very well played.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #1032 on: March 31, 2021, 12:43:22 am »

I'm vaguely proud of myself for cooking not one but two meals today and I should be able to have sort of healthy meals for a few days. cooking is one of those things that have become rather hard with the backpain and all, but now I have good food

I struggle and arise
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1033 on: March 31, 2021, 04:12:59 am »

Arizona is always on normal time.
We don't do Daylight Savings, except for the Navaho Reservation in the NE corner of the state. The Rez extends into NM so it follows the time in NM.
But AZ tried it decades ago. Didn't work out very well; no one liked it.
So while the rest of Mountain States are MDT,  AZ is MST, which is the same time as PDT. In other words, if you want to know the  time in AZ when daylight savings is in effect everywhere else, just check the time in CA. Whatever time it is in CA, that is what time it is in AZ.
I like staying on standard time. I don't miss not having daylight savings at all.   

Not every State here has Daylight Saving Time - lucky b-----'s! The primary benefit goes to the coastal populations and those who live in large cities. Rural populations in general dislike it intensely - there are some individual exceptions, but country dwellers are a vast minority, and their objections count for nought!
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1034 on: March 31, 2021, 10:12:12 am »

I'm vaguely proud of myself for cooking not one but two meals today and I should be able to have sort of healthy meals for a few days. cooking is one of those things that have become rather hard with the backpain and all, but now I have good food
Well done! Keeping yourself well fed is half of the battle on so many levels, mentally and physically.
I hope you have a freezer so that you can cook several days' worth of meals in one go.

My daughter (who also suffers from chronic pain) bought herself a mini freezer for this reason and loved it. It meant that on the days when she was feeling her worst and couldn't cook, she could pull out a treat to cheer herself up. And cooking her favourite meals, knowing that they would help in her darkest days, cheered her on her better days. Win - win, as they say. Smiley

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: