The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 12:53:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 62068 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1000 on: March 08, 2021, 05:52:51 pm »

Is there going to be a big reveal rovingjack?

Oh, and I also love the idea of a quilted dragon ...

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1001 on: March 08, 2021, 06:22:09 pm »

But what would its breath weapon be? (An origami dragon would obviously breathe confetti...) Cheesy

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1002 on: March 08, 2021, 08:22:08 pm »

But what would its breath weapon be? (An origami dragon would obviously breathe confetti...) Cheesy

omg... that is a genius correlation  Shocked.... a bazillion bonus point for that.  Grin

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1003 on: March 09, 2021, 12:48:20 am »

Probably not a reveal, as this is an art project that is at least part shock, and rebellion. Something not quite on the order of some of the classics like the Warhol 'oxidation' series, or the painters who paint with their own blood. But the discomfort factor will be present and I feel it's both safer and more interesting to handle this as it's own thing that doesn't tie back to anything else I do and potentially contaminate them with the reactions.

I'm not sure if that makes it sound worse than it is. But it is something I won't be admitting to family or co-workers that I am the artist. It's not morally wrong, or cruel or even remotely sexual in nature even, it's just the sort of thing people would be likely to get wound up arguing about what has become of art these days, and sort of getting hot under the collar about some of the political and social critique made on top of how it's made.

Aiming for Howard Beale from 'Network', done as artworks done in styles and mediums certain to ruffle feathers.

I was rather thinking book dragons might breath calligraphy, or even illuminations

Quilt dragon most likely breath thread, something like a net, perhaps. ooo, maybe a bit of lace.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1004 on: March 09, 2021, 09:45:37 am »

Unless it was a particularly vicious dragon of course, in which case it would spit pins and needles; if it was cunning it would just spit them onto the floor for the unwary traveller to walk on.  (This could actually explain a lot about pin distribution in our house!)

So, in effect, you will be creating a character who produces this art and is a separate entity to yourself?  Will you engage at all with any feedback the art generates - join in discussions on its merits/demerits?  Interesting that, in theory, you could argue against yourself in that case.
FallenFantasy174
Deck Hand
Scotland Scotland

All that we see or seem

« Reply #1005 on: March 09, 2021, 12:53:20 pm »

Good heavens, is one supposed to use it up before purchasing more (what, all of it)?
Not just gloat over it (oooh the lovely textures and patterns ...)?
While planning what one is going to do with it, (when one has invented the tardis wardrobe for garment storage of course)?
I could have been doing something wrong all these years!

[Whispers: Please do not mention this to my husband]

I'm imagining a quilted dragon resting on it's fabric hoard.

A quilted dragon would be amazing: something bed length that blocks out the cold from the wall, with arms and a long neck you can use as a pillow and big enough wings to cover the bed. Very snuggly.  Smiley

It hiccups feathers.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1006 on: March 09, 2021, 03:38:44 pm »

Good heavens, is one supposed to use it up before purchasing more (what, all of it)?
Not just gloat over it (oooh the lovely textures and patterns ...)?
While planning what one is going to do with it, (when one has invented the tardis wardrobe for garment storage of course)?
I could have been doing something wrong all these years!

[Whispers: Please do not mention this to my husband]

I'm imagining a quilted dragon resting on it's fabric hoard.

A quilted dragon would be amazing: something bed length that blocks out the cold from the wall, with arms and a long neck you can use as a pillow and big enough wings to cover the bed. Very snuggly.  Smiley

It hiccups feathers.

You all are reminding me of that really old 1960s cartoon "Here comes the Grump by dePatie /Freleng, where the bad guy rode a dragon, which had a penchant for sneezing. Every time the dragon sneezed, his master was roasted (or at least blackened).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 03:41:03 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1007 on: March 09, 2021, 05:05:08 pm »

Im afraid bit of a traditionalist here, Dragons are fierce beasts, not very cuddly and the thought of using sputum as decoration, whether confetti, material or otherwise is just wrong.  Wink

I've always had a thing about Dragons since young, then i found out as I was born in 1964......... Year of the Dragon in the Chinese Calender.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1008 on: March 10, 2021, 01:31:41 am »

Im afraid bit of a traditionalist here, Dragons are fierce beasts, not very cuddly and the thought of using sputum as decoration, whether confetti, material or otherwise is just wrong.  Wink

I've always had a thing about Dragons since young, then i found out as I was born in 1964......... Year of the Dragon in the Chinese Calender.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was born in the Year of the Water Dragon - apparently the best kind!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1009 on: March 10, 2021, 01:58:35 am »

So, in effect, you will be creating a character who produces this art and is a separate entity to yourself?  Will you engage at all with any feedback the art generates - join in discussions on its merits/demerits?  Interesting that, in theory, you could argue against yourself in that case.

nah, It's more along the lines that I am used to being slivers of myself in my life. I'm lead to understand that we all have public personas to some degree, but as is likely clear in my arts and crafts projects I really can be a jack of all trades master of none. And that really extends beyond trades too. I do a great many things and think on a great many more besides. My experience has taught me that peoples eyes glaze over when I flow through more than one or two of my closely related interests in social interaction. And so I've learned to keep my public associations toward the most related clusters of interests likely to overlap some of those I interact with.

Many of the groups I interact with do not have overlaps with others. That's okay. It just means that I look like different people to each.

Then there is the loose ends, the pieces that I have that don't need or fit anyone or group I spend time with. All pretty much benign things that I can play with as things to soothe or entertain me. And sometimes there are things like offshoots of the kid I once was, mixing magic compounds  from weird combinations of things found in and around the house (I'm sure I discovered one or another form of slime or expanding foam by accident at some point and can clearly remember making a mixture that when wiping my hand off on my pants made those spots solid as concrete and waterproof too) that just wants to give some thoughts a try in the space outside my head.

I mean steam punk and makers in general are fairly open people and I'm sure things like taking the skin from some fish before I cook it and turning it into leather to make patches for clothes or a wallet, or brewing kombucha and working the scoby into semi-hardened but flexible translucent materials not unlike bakelite, or making a flame thrower... are all fine and dandy. But sometimes there are weird projects even these very inclusive groups wouldn't value. And they can be esoteric enough that there really isn't enough of a population to generate a group around, and it doesn't really need groups.

But that crazy crank sliver of myself that enjoys and explores those things can be just as easily made into a public persona as any other part of me. And when I give it a brush to paint with and some things to communicate, and have a bit of Duchampian or Menippean pot stirring enough to get the sorts of people who burn books ruffled and talking about it out loud and beating their war drums... well it give that little bit of my shut away self a chance to stretch it's legs, have a laugh, say some thoughts, and make some unique and provocative art.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:01:15 am by rovingjack » Logged
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1010 on: March 10, 2021, 03:22:55 am »

I'm still dealing with the Illumination-breathing dragon. Or a Klimt breathing dragon?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1011 on: March 13, 2021, 12:47:59 am »

The little things in life. Not today, but 3 days ago... Made my first Flan (firm egg and milk custard) with a strawberries-balsamic vinaigrette recipe I borrowed from a pork dish I made last year.

The custard is made from 7 eggs, condensed milk and evaporated milk (no, they're not the same thing, condensed milk is very much thicker and sweeter than evaporated milk). It was steamed in a large pot for one hour, because I don't have a good oven. This results in a firmer more dense flan full with holes, more similar to feta cheese in texture, which sometimes is called Flan Napolitano in Mexico.

Instead of caramel, I made a sauce, from 1 pound of frozen strawberries, half macerated in balsamic vinegar and sugar to make a jam and the other half while and bathed in the hot jam.

Needed something to go together with it, so I made chicken enchiladas with Swiss (Emmentaler) cheese, poblano mole and guacamole and tomatillo salsa. The dish is legit, referred to as "Enchiladas Suizas" named so for the practice of using Central European ingredients (cream sauces, Gruyère or Emmentaler cheese, pork or ham) in a number of Mexican dishes since the 19th century and 20th centuries.

Followed by a foam made from instant coffee and Coca-Cola. It tastes a bit like chocolate and with a head similar to Guinness

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1012 on: March 13, 2021, 12:55:49 am »

Yum!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1013 on: March 13, 2021, 02:28:49 pm »

nah, It's more along the lines that I am used to being slivers of myself in my life. I'm lead to understand that we all have public personas to some degree, but as is likely clear in my arts and crafts projects I really can be a jack of all trades master of none. And that really extends beyond trades too. I do a great many things and think on a great many more besides. My experience has taught me that peoples eyes glaze over when I flow through more than one or two of my closely related interests in social interaction. And so I've learned to keep my public associations toward the most related clusters of interests likely to overlap some of those I interact with.

Many of the groups I interact with do not have overlaps with others. That's okay. It just means that I look like different people to each.

Then there is the loose ends, the pieces that I have that don't need or fit anyone or group I spend time with. All pretty much benign things that I can play with as things to soothe or entertain me. And sometimes there are things like offshoots of the kid I once was, mixing magic compounds  from weird combinations of things found in and around the house (I'm sure I discovered one or another form of slime or expanding foam by accident at some point and can clearly remember making a mixture that when wiping my hand off on my pants made those spots solid as concrete and waterproof too) that just wants to give some thoughts a try in the space outside my head.

I mean steam punk and makers in general are fairly open people and I'm sure things like taking the skin from some fish before I cook it and turning it into leather to make patches for clothes or a wallet, or brewing kombucha and working the scoby into semi-hardened but flexible translucent materials not unlike bakelite, or making a flame thrower... are all fine and dandy. But sometimes there are weird projects even these very inclusive groups wouldn't value. And they can be esoteric enough that there really isn't enough of a population to generate a group around, and it doesn't really need groups.

But that crazy crank sliver of myself that enjoys and explores those things can be just as easily made into a public persona as any other part of me. And when I give it a brush to paint with and some things to communicate, and have a bit of Duchampian or Menippean pot stirring enough to get the sorts of people who burn books ruffled and talking about it out loud and beating their war drums... well it give that little bit of my shut away self a chance to stretch it's legs, have a laugh, say some thoughts, and make some unique and provocative art.

Ah, I see, a facet of your many-sided personality given free reign to play for a while.  I like the concept.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1014 on: March 14, 2021, 05:32:05 am »

Yo-Yo Ma gets vaccinated at a community college and performs a solo for the patients waiting in line

https://www.facebook.com/75705088012/videos/254102206373101/?__so__=watchlist&__rv__=video_home_www_playlist_video_list

https://www.facebook.com/75705088012/videos/526128358788999/?__so__=watchlist&__rv__=video_home_www_playlist_video_list

Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1015 on: March 14, 2021, 08:33:22 am »

Was unable to look at the comments.... pretty certain he played a work by JS Bach, tho'....(Sheep May Safely Graze maybe?....)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:34:55 am by Deimos » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1016 on: March 14, 2021, 11:14:21 pm »

Was unable to look at the comments.... pretty certain he played a work by JS Bach, tho'....(Sheep May Safely Graze maybe?....)

One of the reasons I hate Faceplant. Here's a link to a Boston news station

https://www.boston25news.com/news/trending/yo-yo-ma-gives-impromptu-performance-after-receiving-2nd-vaccination-massachusetts/45O7EUPPE5GT5JBTB5IOXFMM74/

He played more than one piece. The one I show is Cello Suite 1 in G major, Prélude.

Yo-Yo Ma - Bach: Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, Prélude (Official Video)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 11:35:22 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1017 on: March 16, 2021, 12:46:44 am »

I was sorely in need of food shopping today after work, and really didn't know what I was going to have for dinner... until I saw this.

It seemed like a good ides at that time.

When I posted it to social media, someone said that it was the second caeser salad they'd seen posted today, and I responded "so there was another caeser salad... ate too?"
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1018 on: March 16, 2021, 02:55:42 am »

I'm shocked! SHOCKED to learn that there was a Caesar salad (with chicken!) other than yours eaten that day!
Whatever is the world coming to??!!!   
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1019 on: March 16, 2021, 03:02:40 am »

When I posted it to social media, someone said that it was the second caeser salad they'd seen posted today, and I responded "so there was another caeser salad... ate too?"

I like the the half pun btw.  Grin

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1020 on: March 16, 2021, 04:08:50 am »

That's brute, eh?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1021 on: March 16, 2021, 04:22:23 am »

That's brute, eh?

E TUpendous
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1022 on: March 16, 2021, 04:29:19 am »

Did you Ate two Brutus.?  Wink
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1023 on: March 24, 2021, 02:30:51 am »

Had a neighbour from up the road a bit knock on my door this morning. "Was talking to X, and heard that you needed a dog walker. I'm x, and would be happy to do that"

So after a sit down and a bit of a chat, off they went on a trial walk, both came back happy, so now I have a regular walker for my dog! Dog will be walked on her own for now - maybe later she (dog) might get to walk in company, but better for now on her own. The universe is smiling today, as my visual issues are slowly sorting themselves out, too!  Grin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:32:38 am by Banfili » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1024 on: March 27, 2021, 10:47:06 am »

Spent a few hours in the workshop with my little daughter.
We made a birdbox.
As she enjoyed watching the birds fly in and out last year I equipped this years edition with a webcam.

Seems that someone has moved in yesterday:

https://www.ipcamlive.com/6038ef858ac25

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: