Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 84644 times)

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
Re: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2016, 01:52:27 pm »
Work has started.

Conservatory and adjacent room are dur for a complete refurbishment.
Started today.
Stripping all wires, lamps, outlets.
Incoming wires have already been replaced. As the house was built in 1955 and these rooms were added in 1974 the wiring is too weak ad the way it was done is *beeeeeeeeeep*.
So back to square 1 and re-do the whole stuff.
Happy to see the progress.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Major Wolfram Quicksilver

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2016, 09:00:22 pm »
Had to handle an 'incident' (fight) in the playground first thing in the morning. Just before lunch I got called out of the class I was teaching to see someone official. Was told it was someone from the teaching agency I work with. Thinking a major bollocking was on the cards, or even a sacking, but thought I handled everything as protocol and policy dictated. I couldn't see what I'd done wrong. The rep from the agency met me at reception, and told me that schools I'd taught at this year had been in contact with them, and they'd looked at my work record and reports from various places. Squeaky bum time, bricking it, still couldn't think of anything, must be something REALLY bad.

Ladies and Gentlemen, as of 12 o'clock today, I have been voted the county's Supply Teacher of The Year.

8) 
'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'

Siliconous Skumins

• Server Monk
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2016, 09:12:55 pm »

Ladies and Gentlemen, as of 12 o'clock today, I have been voted the county's Supply Teacher of The Year.

8) 

Congratulations!  Something tells me it is well deserved.  ;D
[Server Prayer]
:

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Drew P

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2016, 11:03:29 pm »
Congrats!

...but what exactly does that mean, for those of us outside of the education realm? :-\
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Siliconous Skumins

• Server Monk
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2016, 12:22:11 am »
Congrats!

...but what exactly does that mean, for those of us outside of the education realm? :-\

A supply teacher is a temporary role at a school, usually filing in for an absent staff member for a fixed period of time, but many other reasons exist too. As such, all supply teachers are seen as less authoritative and "fair game" by the spotty oik "yoofs in da skoole, innit?!". Survival rates are low, some go mad, others run away and are then summarily shot at dawn for cowardice. Many die at the hands of their captors students, especially those in science classes....

This award is similar to the Victoria Cross medal, the highest military decoration awarded for valour "in the face of the enemy".  ;D ;)

Joking! Although I bet Major Wolfram Quicksilver will agree it's not far off.  :D

Major Wolfram Quicksilver

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2016, 05:10:02 pm »
Congrats!

A supply teacher is a temporary role at a school, usually filing in for an absent staff member for a fixed period of time, but many other reasons exist too. As such, all supply teachers are seen as less authoritative and "fair game" by the spotty oik "yoofs in da skoole, innit?!". Survival rates are low, some go mad, others run away and are then summarily shot at dawn for cowardice. Many die at the hands of their captors students, especially those in science classes....

This award is similar to the Victoria Cross medal, the highest military decoration awarded for valour "in the face of the enemy".  ;D ;)

Joking! Although I bet Major Wolfram Quicksilver will agree it's not far off.  :D

Pretty spot on as a matter of fact. You do get teachers who think that going down the Supply Teacher (substitute teacher in various other countries) route is an easy option. They don't tend to last long.

Lady Ava

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.
    • Ava's Apparel Blog
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2016, 05:34:36 pm »
BOUGHT TICKETS FOR THIS YEARS ASYLUM.
*wee*
''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!

Madasasteamfish

• A clanger waiting to be dropped......
  • Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2016, 07:15:41 pm »
BOUGHT TICKETS FOR THIS YEARS ASYLUM.
*wee*

A little bit TMI there, Lady Ava
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Mme. Ratchet

• Officer
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2016, 09:38:40 pm »
The DOD is expected to lift the ban on trans people serving openly!

ForestB

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Lady of the copper frogs
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2016, 10:33:12 pm »
We finally jumped through the last few bureaucratic hoops in proving that yes, my husband is a US citizen... it looks like they are going to issue his passport finally!
Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com

Drew P

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2016, 10:40:12 pm »
Oh, a Sub teacher.
Yes, a tough job indeed. That takes some thick skin sometimes.

Mercury Wells

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2016, 02:10:49 am »
Welcome back Lady Ava....and if possible, please stay longer as we have all missed you and other MIAs.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2016, 10:04:39 am »
Congratulations, Major Quicksilver - a sterling honour, indeed!

Gerry Hunter

• Gunner
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2016, 03:20:07 am »
Visiting old stomping grounds, even if it's just a temporary visit.

Mercury Wells

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2016, 11:15:50 pm »
Unexpectedly for the 2nd time, my lovely Muslim neighbour has just given us a small meal (a few deep fried potato rosti, spicy rice with chunks of chicken) and by Jove she is great cook.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:18:36 pm by Mercury Wells »

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2016, 04:00:42 am »
Not being gay but member of the greater LGBQT+ community, this made me happy just a few minutes ago:

BBC: "Pope Francis says Church should apologise to gays"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36636845

The position he's taken is that "the catechism of the Church says, that they [homosexuals] should not be discriminated against, that they should be respected, accompanied pastorally."

However, "in 2013, Pope Francis reaffirmed the Roman Catholic Church's position that homosexual acts were sinful, but homosexual orientation was not."

So sufficient progress has not been made, but this is a start.

In the meantime, this supports the theoretical basis for my fictitious Germanic "Third Gender" being "tolerated" by the church in the context of the historical background of my Luftschiffengfel character  ;D  Literary gears are turning!

Cora Courcelle

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2016, 09:16:47 am »
Went to a comic con and passed a group of Whovians, all comparing sonic screwdrivers.  They saw my steampunked (by me) sonic and announced "That's awesome; you win!"
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Drew P

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2016, 10:39:00 am »
^ 8)
 :)

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2016, 10:25:00 am »
68 hours and 42 minutes of Laurel and Hardy.  I'll say that again.  68.  Hours.  And.  42.  Minutes. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2016, 10:56:38 am »
68 hours and 42 minutes of Laurel and Hardy.  I'll say that again.  68.  Hours.  And.  42.  Minutes. 
Always been one of my favs.....
লরেল অ্যান্ড হার্ডি বিজি বডিস ;D

Siliconous Skumins

• Server Monk
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2016, 10:59:58 am »
Just finished installing a "Raspberry Pi 3" to use as my replacement computer (old one is now over 10 years old and is still on Win XP on life support). After a bunch of head scratching and internet searching I have found a number of tweaks and programs that will allow me to do 95% of everything I require on the internet. :)

Main issue with the raspberry Pi has always been that it is too weak to run flash based content on websites (YouTube, Iplayer etc.), and the Linux variants of flash player are either not compiled for the ARM CPU on the Pi, or they are horribly slow and boggy on such limited hardware. The latest iteration of the Pi seems to have smoothed over most of those issues, enough that I can play YouTube video in either HTML5 or Flash versions in full screen, and even the BBC Iplayer works acceptably well (loses a few frames, but certainly watchable - and there are a couple of tweaks to fix that if needed). Obviously we are not talking about 1080P HD content here - there is currently little to no hardware acceleration available, so standard definition content only. Meh, good enough! ;)

Sadly I have yet to find a work-around for playing DRM flash content - the version of the flash player I'm using does not support DRM, nor does most Linux variants. So no Netflix et-al in the browser for now (can still watch all content via the Kodi media player though).

And obviously this is not a gaming rig, so no GTA 5 etc.  :D

BUT this computer runs at around 4 Watts of power with the current setup and installed devices. FOUR WATTS!!!  My electric bill is about to become much cheaper....  :)

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Caledon MacHinery (they/them)
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2016, 05:05:11 pm »
i am almost positive I'll get a job at the cinema.
Passion is like a Peatfire

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2016, 05:49:54 pm »
Finished putting the cables in the room I am just renovatine.
about 30 square metres, more than 60 metres of cable (not counting TV, network, speakers, connections to beamer, etc...)
Still more work but good to see one task finished.

Madasasteamfish

• A clanger waiting to be dropped......
  • Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2016, 07:52:38 pm »

Another fine mess you've gotten us into.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2016, 12:17:53 am »
Just finished installing a "Raspberry Pi 3" to use as my replacement computer (old one is now over 10 years old and is still on Win XP on life support). After a bunch of head scratching and internet searching I have found a number of tweaks and programs that will allow me to do 95% of everything I require on the internet. :)

Main issue with the raspberry Pi has always been that it is too weak to run flash based content on websites (YouTube, Iplayer etc.), and the Linux variants of flash player are either not compiled for the ARM CPU on the Pi, or they are horribly slow and boggy on such limited hardware. The latest iteration of the Pi seems to have smoothed over most of those issues, enough that I can play YouTube video in either HTML5 or Flash versions in full screen, and even the BBC Iplayer works acceptably well (loses a few frames, but certainly watchable - and there are a couple of tweaks to fix that if needed). Obviously we are not talking about 1080P HD content here - there is currently little to no hardware acceleration available, so standard definition content only. Meh, good enough! ;)

Sadly I have yet to find a work-around for playing DRM flash content - the version of the flash player I'm using does not support DRM, nor does most Linux variants. So no Netflix et-al in the browser for now (can still watch all content via the Kodi media player though).

And obviously this is not a gaming rig, so no GTA 5 etc.  :D

BUT this computer runs at around 4 Watts of power with the current setup and installed devices. FOUR WATTS!!!  My electric bill is about to become much cheaper....  :)

You're a brave man, Mr Skummins!  :D  I'm not sure if I'd want to to squeeze that much out of a small circumferential fruit never mind four watts of power.   ;D  In what kind of embalage did you install said raspberry?