The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 22, 2019, 05:39:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sliced Bread Not Steampunk?  (Read 2473 times)
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 06:03:51 pm »

I'm 100% certain that, somewhere, a man in a shed invented an automatic bread slicer long before 1928. He just kept it to himself.
Or possibly it killed him.

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 10:14:43 pm »

I'm 100% certain that, somewhere, a man in a shed invented an automatic bread slicer long before 1928. He just kept it to himself.

A consortium of bread knife manufacturers bought the invention and hid it from the public, knowing that if it became available, bread knife sales would fall.
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 11:38:46 pm »

A consortium of bread knife manufacturers bought the invention and hid it from the public, knowing that if it became available, bread knife sales would fall.

Until a band of plucky, steamily-inclined bakers embarked on a quest through strife and peril to deliver sliced bread to a waiting world.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 01:17:13 am »

Ah, so you heard about the ill fated experiments of Cuthbert Bakingson, victim of his own invention and a classic case of nominative determinism.

It's hard to piece together the exact events, only that on the 23rd of April 1847 Cuthbert was seen enthusiastically purchasing a variety of rolls and loaves of various types, including malted and was heard to proclaim that he was "working on the best thing since, well, ever!"

Whatever followed this hoarding of loaves in Cuthbert's workshop is a matter of pure conjecture, as neither Cuthbert nor any member of his family or apprentices survived the apparent malfunction of his machine. Drawings of the device recovered from his workshop show a series of parallel blades attached to a cam and belt type contraption driven by a miniature Eatkin-Hurlingdon type steam engine. Most of the blades and engine were recovered from the walls and ceiling of the workshop.

Only a fortuitous mix up of dates saved Norris Cuttleman of the Everyman Breadboards and Knives conglomerate who had been due to meet with Cuthbert that morning, Norris being quoted as "thinking it was the day after, and my car broke down. No trains that day you see, I was nowhere near it. Him. There. It was my Grandmother's birthday." Although sadly Norris himself passed away shortly after the event when he tragically drowned himself in his breakfast porridge.

Interestingly no trace of the malt loaf was ever found.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2016, 04:52:00 am »

Automat restaurants are period. Why couldn't we upgrade our Automat with a mechanical sandwich assembler?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 06:31:13 pm »

Until a band of plucky, steamily-inclined bakers embarked on a quest through strife and peril to deliver sliced bread to a waiting world.

You write it I'll sing it.

qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 03:38:53 am »

You write it I'll sing it.

Actually, this does sound extremely spiff.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 09:37:39 am »

Sliced bread is too awesome to not be steampunk, even if its not period.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: