The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 18, 2022, 04:46:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: In the event of a Brass Goggles server outage, please visit sparegoggles.forumotion.net, our Lifeboat Forum, for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Concertina Festival (or, Where inna Heck was MW This Weekend?)  (Read 1764 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« on: April 03, 2016, 09:09:14 pm »

Group photo from the Texas Concertina Festival, in the basement of the Museum for East Texas Culture (old Reagan High School in Reagan park) in Palestine, Texas.

The Concertina Festival is affiliated with, but separate from, the Palestine Old Time Music and Dulcimer Festival (Known as "Old Pal" for short). This year, we also played a tune on stage with our headliner Jody Kruskal in the Old Pal Evening concert on Saturday night.

Not exactly steampunk, but I'm a steampunk, and I was there. Too, few musical instruments can claim to have been invented or to have had their first initial heyday during the Victorian Era Which in my book makes the concertina steamy by default...

That's me in the rather wumperjawed wheel cap and goggles (yes, I really do dress similarly everywhere I go). My concertina is in an "elevated" position to one side (the bright red one with white buttons).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 11:53:06 pm »

Group photo from the Texas Concertina Festival, in the basement of the Museum for East Texas Culture (old Reagan High School in Reagan park) in Palestine, Texas.

The Concertina Festival is affiliated with, but separate from, the Palestine Old Time Music and Dulcimer Festival (Known as "Old Pal" for short). This year, we also played a tune on stage with our headliner Jody Kruskal in the Old Pal Evening concert on Saturday night.

Not exactly steampunk, but I'm a steampunk, and I was there. Too, few musical instruments can claim to have been invented or to have had their first initial heyday during the Victorian Era Which in my book makes the concertina steamy by default...

That's me in the rather wumperjawed wheel cap and goggles (yes, I really do dress similarly everywhere I go). My concertina is in an "elevated" position to one side (the bright red one with white buttons).

Oops, it's resting on the glass to stage left. They took another photo a bit earlier than this one; I guess they must have rearranged the instruments for this shot without my realizing it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 03:45:17 am »

Here we are practicing the tune (The Rivers of Texas) that we opened Jody Kruskal(who was also our workshop instructor)" set with for hid spot in the Old Pal festival's evening concert (Same room as that in which the photo above was taken). Yes, the workshop's entire population (in excess of 11 concertina players) all on that teensy stage at the same time, all playing together.

https://youtu.be/TkbvTYzT9Vc

What a great bunch of people, and a great festival!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 04:28:49 am »

Listening to that video, I was suddenly transported to the deck of the Texan brig Archer:

To those of us who reside in the Republic of Texas, you need to give us a bit of a warning ahead of time that there will be an event where you'll be! That way there might be a chance for personal attendance. Otherwise we can only see what you post!  Wink

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:01:34 pm »

Ah, I apologize; I was kind of swamped with preparations right up to the wire (the paintings for the door prize table, etc.)

I'll try to do better in future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: