The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 19, 2019, 01:43:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plus size sewing patterns  (Read 1140 times)
Eve Korvinus
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 31, 2016, 02:06:24 pm »

Not sure if this has been asked before.

Does anyone know of any suppliers/makers of ladies plus size clothing patterns, UK size 24+. I'm looking for things like waistcoats, blouses/shirts and fitted/semi-fitted jackets that can be made to look victorian-ish and military-ish. All suggestions are welcome.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:43:52 pm »

I would look at patterns from the USA in particular folkware patterns.
Plutus Sar
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 02:35:23 am »

My wife says to check Etsy.com, she says there are a ton of suppliers.  Also a British 24 is US 22, which may assist in buying US patterns. 

"The problem is not that I was born in the wrong time, but that I should have been born in a time which has never existed..."
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 03:05:05 am »

For the last 5 to 7 years I have bought every interesting costume pattern I can get my hands on from the big three manufactures and most have a size range that goes up to a us 24 as long as you get the right one.  What I would do is take a full set a measurements(don't forget to be wearing foundation garments like a corset if that is something you want to wear with the finished piece.)then look very carefully at the size for each pattern that interests you and see if your measurements are in the range.  Pattern size and clothing size are two very different things and I know I can use a pattern several sizes smaller than my clothing size and have it fit like a glove.  You will still have to fit things to your body and I always suggest doing a mock up out of cheep fabric but that at least is a start.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 03:43:10 am »

Don't restrict yourself to costume patterns. Think about what characteristics you want and look for a pattern that has them. Simplicity 3688, for example, goes up to size 28W. It's a retro-40s suit with a jacket, blouse, and skirt. You can easily adapt these. It has a 6-gore skirt that with a little more length to it could be a 1890s-1900s walking skirt. If you want a little more bustle room just make the back panel a little wider. The blouse as well, with an added standing collar, would work well for a Gibson-era shirtwaist. The princess seams in the jacket would lend themselves to alteration to whatever shape you wanted. If you want a vest, there are "wardrobe" patterns with vests that could work and they also include some pants, tops, skirts, etc.

You can also take pieces from a "regular-sized" pattern and graft them onto a larger-size pattern. A leg-o-mutton sleeve, or Snow White's fancy collar from Simplicity 1093, panniers, bustle drape, or other design elements can be adapted once you find a basic style pattern that fits. I have right here Simplicity 8114 (I know, it seems I cite a lot of Simplicity, but that's what I have a lot of right now). It only goes up to US 22, which is really not very big. But you could adapt the sleeves, attach them to a suitable jacket, enlarge the peplum a bit, and wear it with a nice walking skirt, bloomers, or culottes for a really snappy look. (On the other hand, the pants included in the pattern are rather weird looking and off-balance design-wise.)
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 02:39:31 pm »

http://www.lafnmoon.com/category_s/92.htm This may help. Goes to ladies size 36.

Eve Korvinus
Officer

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 04:48:07 pm »

Thank you for all the ideas. Plutus Star thanks for the heads up about US sizes, I couldn't remember if it was a 1 or 2 size difference. Stella very good point, I'm one of those people with odd measurements. Lepidoptera again a good idea, I had been thinking about doing just that. Montysaurus that site looks amazing, I might have to save up and get a few.

Its nice to see people suggesting things that are similar to ideas I've been thinking about, it means I wasn't too far off the mark.

Sincerely Eve
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 08:17:09 pm »

Have a look for a book on pattern grading! It is a technique used to change the sizes of patterns. It's not a super hard skill to pick up but is SO useful! I'm large chested so always end up grading bodices, because it's so hard/basically impossible to find the right size patterns together for tops and bottoms.

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: