The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2021, 01:39:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you... wiser.  (Read 1634 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« on: March 25, 2016, 06:40:15 am »

I've felt like it might be fun to start a thread where we share moments we encounter that make us feel wiser for having had them.

To start off:

I saw an interview with a Japanese craftsman who had left japan to practice his craft. When asked why he left home, he replied 'To know it better.'

He elaborates that never leaving a place allows one to develop blind spots, but to develop homesickness is to know what it is more deeply.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 07:32:20 am »

from my experience, and that of others, I have become aware of the fact that the most effective way to learn something is to teach it.

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 12:14:35 pm »

Paying attention.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 04:14:59 pm »

A couple of realizations that have left me feeling a little wiser.

Firstly, Reading Georges Hébert's 'Natural Method' changed the way I perceive myself and my general state of health. In recent years I've been fairly dismissive of fitness culture, viewing my earlier results focused fitness days as somewhat selfish and peacocky. However, Hébert's views on the place of fitness and altruism in society have resonated with me and driven me back into embracing the improvement of my health, not mechanically and indoors for the pursuit of looking good or beating personal bests, but instead outdoors and variably (IE: No more gyms and single muscle group focused repetitions) with the goal of being of use to those I love and to those I do not know in normal life and in danger.

Plus Hébert is a good Steampunk role model.

Secondly, that comfort is the enemy of betterment. It is only by pushing what we perceive to be our boundaries that we find where they actually are (normally very very far removed from where we think), likewise it is only by continuing to push those boundaries (both the real and imagined) that we'll improve at anything. Being comfortable in anything you take seriously should be avoided because it indicates a plateau. As soon as you're comfortable it likely means you're no longer improving, instead take comfort at a task to mean it's time to take on more challenges and push harder. (This largely applies to skills, be they physical or mental. I'm not advocating burning all sofa's or wearing hair shirts).

I also have to agree that travel is a great way of gaining insight, seeing the world offers new perspectives on your own place in it. New people, cultures and experiences should be welcomed by all, after all complimentary and contrasting colours help better the tapestry of our lives. My views on the UK have changed dramatically after living abroad.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 06:54:56 pm »

Paying attention.

I'm sorry, were you saying something?

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 03:52:32 am »

Nothing really, carry on.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 04:49:57 am »

in trying to comfort a friend I said something that I should try to remember from now on.

Struggles are just adventures you are in the middle of.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 09:15:55 am »

in trying to comfort a friend I said something that I should try to remember from now on.

Struggles are just adventures you are in the middle of.
Or, struggles are just anecdotes you haven't finished writing yet.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 09:48:32 pm »

Living makes one wiser... if one is wise enough to keep paying attention...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 11:09:55 pm »

Don't look up symptoms or information about pests on the internet if you are not sure it's something you are dealing with. You won't sleep for days.  Roll Eyes Cheesy
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 12:26:05 am »

“In spite of wars and tourism and pictures by satellite, the world is just the same size it ever was. It is awesome to think how much of it I will never see. It is not a trick to go round these days, you can pay a lot of money and fly round it nonstop in less than forty-eight hours, but to know it, to smell it and feel it between your toes you have to crawl. There is no other way. Not flying, not floating. You have to stay on the ground and swallow the bugs as you go. Then the world is immense. The best you can do is to trace your long, infinitesimally thin line through the dust and extrapolate.”
― Ted Simon, Jupiter's Travels

A mantra to travel by!

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 05:21:06 pm »

Ploughing into the back of a transit van doing about 30-40 mph (not sure too busy screaming) on a motorway.

Lesson 1: Wear a seat belt.
Lesson 2: Check the designated driver isn't of his kettle on double whiskey's "but holds it well". BEFORE getting a lift.
Lesson 3: Carry a belt cutter so you can help the poor beggar you've just smooshed into the passenger front dash board.
Lesson 4: Except the fact that your body ablates itself keeping the squishy irreplaceable bits safe. (thank you right shoulder, scapula and collar bone, sure your a bit f***ed but without you it would have been my face.)

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 07:56:38 pm »

Ploughing into the back of a transit van doing about 30-40 mph (not sure too busy screaming) on a motorway.

Lesson 2: Check the designated driver isn't of his kettle on double whiskey's "but holds it well". BEFORE getting a lift.
Lesson 3: Carry a belt cutter so you can help the poor beggar you've just smooshed into the passenger front dash board.
Lesson 4: Except the fact that your body ablates itself keeping the squishy irreplaceable bits safe. (thank you right shoulder, scapula and collar bone, sure your a bit f***ed but without you it would have been my face.)
I think I'd start with lesson 2 myself. Hope you recover quickly.
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 12:35:42 am »

Always wear a crash helmet, especially when riding/driving any vehicle without a windscreen.

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 03:23:40 pm »

I think I'd start with lesson 2 myself. Hope you recover quickly.

Don't worry about me I was and am fine. This happened a good two decades ago so I'm as recovered as I'm ever likely to get!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 11:27:36 pm »

Lesson 1: Always wear a seat belt
Lesson 2: Always wear a seat belt!
Lesson 3: Always wear a seat belt and carry close to hand in your vehicle one of those double-ended, pointy hammer window breakers - with a seat belt cutter on the other end!

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 12:09:19 am »

Newly acquired wisdom from about an hour ago :

1) It would be wise (and a helluva lot less painfull !!) to first ensure that any large Datacenter grade UPS battery packs you are connecting into a modified low voltage system, have themselves first been modified to said lower voltage.

2) 100 Volt lead-acid UPS battery packs do not play nice with 12 Volt systems.

3) Vision will return after 15 minutes or so after exposure to arc flash.

4) Turns out human skin CAN metalised via Plasma-assisted deposition of metal, without the requirement of exposure to hard vacuum.

I got off lucky!  Shocked

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 03:25:56 am »

So..... measure 50 times then cut, huh? Wink

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 01:03:32 pm »

What was your amp difference?

Newly acquired wisdom from about an hour ago :

1) It would be wise (and a helluva lot less painfull !!) to first ensure that any large Datacenter grade UPS battery packs you are connecting into a modified low voltage system, have themselves first been modified to said lower voltage.

2) 100 Volt lead-acid UPS battery packs do not play nice with 12 Volt systems.

3) Vision will return after 15 minutes or so after exposure to arc flash.

4) Turns out human skin CAN metalised via Plasma-assisted deposition of metal, without the requirement of exposure to hard vacuum.

I got off lucky!  Shocked
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 09:31:45 pm »

What was your amp difference?

Hard to judge really... The main bank of battery packs are at 13.1V, 16 in parallel @ 1152Ah, the unconverted pack was in series at 104V @ 9Ah. These are all Lead-acid AGM batteries wired with 9 AWG cable interconects and 4 AWG interpack bus connections , so each capable dumping several hundred Amps in a split second, and the parallel bank capable of much more (However there are 80A fuses in each pack). The packs were not ballanced either, they were in various states of charge, a little low but not flat.

The packs are like this :

They are from a 16kW APC Symmetra PX 400v 3-phase UPS.

Basically, I don't know which battery pack won that argument...   Undecided  Either way, the amps were high.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 11:34:04 pm »

To think you lugged those heavy things from their deaths and that's how they thank you. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: