The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 16, 2019, 01:38:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Drunken Botanist  (Read 1114 times)
Bines
Gunner
United States United States

« on: March 13, 2016, 05:49:51 am »

The Drunken Botanist is a book by Amy Stewart. I highly recommend it if you're into getting drunk in the garden.

It's also partly the inspiration for my Steampunk persona. My character is all about finding new fermentables for his brewing endeavours.

That being so, my next piece will be a hand-held botany or garden implement. Right off, I'm thinking of what is sometimes called a daisy fork. It's a weed popper made of a handle and a rod with a forked end and a fulcrum.

What other plant gathering hand tools can you think of?
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 06:00:36 am »

A gear sickle
2 stacked gears which rotate in opposite directions so that plants are caught between the sickle shaped teeth and harvested.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 09:45:25 am »

The Drunken Botanist is a book by Amy Stewart. I highly recommend it if you're into getting drunk in the garden.

It's also partly the inspiration for my Steampunk persona. My character is all about finding new fermentables for his brewing endeavours.

That being so, my next piece will be a hand-held botany or garden implement. Right off, I'm thinking of what is sometimes called a daisy fork. It's a weed popper made of a handle and a rod with a forked end and a fulcrum.

What other plant gathering hand tools can you think of?

A long, forked stick for shaking ripe fruit from a tree, and a shallow, wide wicker basket for carrying the fruit. A trowel and fork set, preferably old and bullet-proof Burgon and Ball or Speare and Jackson (avoid some of the tacky modern ranges with their plastic day-glo handles). Secateurs. Thick leather gloves for gathering sloes.

If you want to add a tool that could also double up as a weapon, add a kukri or a hori-hori.

Not exactly a hand tool, but a kind of carrying frame, like you'd see on an old fashioned external-frame rucksack, but made of steam-bent wood and leather straps with brass hardware, fitted with a series of shallow rectangular wicker "drawers" for carrying fruit, mushrooms, etc.

--
Keith
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 10:09:05 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Wassail

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 03:50:44 pm »

A bandoleer of shot or liqueur glasses. Disguise your rucksack as a small distillery. A cocktail shaker in a holster.
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 04:27:17 pm »

I'm diggin' it.

For the sickle I'm thinking a lawnmower pull rope assembly to turn one gear. Ooo! That could work for all sorts of stuff.

A hori hoi is a tool I should have just to have. Right now I use a cheap hunting knife or a Schrade Sharp Finger with a broken tip.

I make a drink called apfelwein. The apple flavor, especially when combined with spices, hides the wine level ABV a little too well.  Tongue

My belt has not shot glasses, but glass vials to hold samples. Water, yeast, barley and hops. 

If I did a trowel, I'd get one with a serrated edge and numbers on it. A wood handle could be wrapped in wire. Some kind of mechanical part could go on the top end of the handle.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 12:11:56 am »

A dibbler.

Meant for poking holes to drop tulip bulbs in, it looks like a push dagger used to stake vampirs.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: