The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 09:51:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renegade Zeppelin Pilot Post Apocalypse :Dress Up Box - accessory suggestions  (Read 2744 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: March 07, 2016, 02:56:57 am »

A Female friend and I are traveling  to a  Steampunk event in another town  at the end of the week.

I have not the time or the patience to make  outlandish props, costumes,  or paraphernalia . My friend is making herself a brass ray gun.

She was some what shocked that I intend going  in a military influenced style [ although I tend to dress towards  that line].  I had been considering and intrepid missionary but I changed position.

I have the leggings and alternative option jackets/ coats.  Non military peaked caps, boots scarves. Sunglasses.  Jewellery , broaches,  badges etc.  I am still debating  what type of top to wear.  Whether to look for a belt,  more badges, a shirt for a jacket,  feathers, faux fur  and other notions

All suggestions welcome :

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:09:29 am »

Images that have given inspiration

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:53:31 am »

a white shirt, either a women's blouse or a men's dress shirt, but with a thinner style collar that you can wear up with the tips ironed over so as to wear with an ascot or a ribbon bow tie. combine with a plain corset or a tight wrapped sash/cumber bun. a jacket over all that. some home made epaulets will militarize just about any halfway decent coat. you could maybe even make a ribbon choker with some sort of medal on it to wear at the collar instead of a tie, sort of like that iron cross but with a more standard ribbon behind it with the choker ribbon strung through that.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 10:56:52 am »

Good day

It's an entirely different universe. But I looked at some photos and thought why not.

Maybe You will inspire the image of a Commissar of the Imperial guard?

https://youtu.be/Vu7ddmL6Vfs

https://youtu.be/pz7jOry30f4

actually, I'm more inspired this Commissar. A minimum of means, as we say "from sticks and acorns (snot)", he has created a stylish, memorable image.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:13:14 pm by morozow » Logged

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 11:37:47 pm »

Thank you Moro and Otto. Those ideas are simple but effective.  I have a light blue  mans shirt that I can utilise for that   and a couple of jackets that could be embellished  for a military effect with out ruining the garment for practical purposes.  

[ safety pins are the favoured device of all punks ]

Its all about impression  and suggestion of the character.... and why not go for foreign military officer's rank

** I enjoyed  the videos  Wink
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:41:39 pm by Hurricane Annie » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:28:55 am »

And slightly bloodied bandages.

Singer - Sasha Cemetery (Саша Кладбище). Funny nickname Smiley
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:44:11 am »

And slightly bloodied bandages.

Singer - Sasha Cemetery (Саша Кладбище). Funny nickname Smiley

I found her on google  - after I found an  actual cemetery  of that name.  She has a certain style.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 12:13:07 am »

I had been considering and intrepid missionary but I changed position.

So we are not going to learn about the Missionary Position in New Zealand?  (I can't believe that I am the only one who caught that and/or dared to comment on it...)

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 01:04:26 am »

The rest of us are far more polite!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 02:05:44 am »

Yes, one should not query a lady about what happens down under.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 10:29:36 am »

It would show a distinct lack of style
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 10:33:51 am »

I am slowly  getting my out fit together  - more of a post apocalyptic  uniform   thing going on.   I managed to buy  a trove of badges  to add some prestige   Wink
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 06:53:12 pm »

I am slowly  getting my out fit together  - more of a post apocalyptic  uniform   thing going on.   I managed to buy  a trove of badges  to add some prestige   Wink

We shall await the photos with some eagerness  Smiley

Yours,
Miranda.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 03:56:52 am »

I shall be sure to post some up . My friend has made herself a splendid ray gun.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 11:40:22 am »

Hurricane, gotta watch that missionary position! Grin Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 11:04:36 pm »

Where there's muck there's brass (safety pins)

here is the coat and hat  I  gussied up for my "Imperial Zeppelin Admiral" uniform   [ I thought if I am going to make up a division and rank , I might as well go  big] .  I did intensive google  research  on admiral uniforms so as to  obtain a look that would lend a strong air of authenticity.  

This coat is a recent op shop purchase.   I sewed on the  ribbon with running stitch for ease of removal.  There are 6 rank stripes stripes for insignia.  Ordinary admirals only have 5. I took a creative pilot's license

Coat and hat in their full glory .  I had the peaked cap  lying around in a drawer  and added  the extra badges  from an emergency 2nd hand shop reconnaissance

I awarded myself  various medals  for valour, bravery,  shooting down the enemy etc...  [ 1 is an Australian  Returned Servicemans' Leaugue amulet .Blasphemy !! Shocked]. All held on with  safety pins; I have seen photos with  traditional medal fixtures. The  colour patterns are replicated with the modern  technology  of permanent marker  and  flouro pen.

Collection of more service badges  from foreign climes, tropical  postings and assaults on various bowling clubs,  rugby associations, school swim  teams and incursions  on hippie eco  subversives.

Epaulet  improvised with unusual dog clip  and plastic tiki earings  [ to denote Antipodean N.Z. armed forces]  sourced from a Chinese trader

I will post photos up at a later date of the  Paeroa Steampunk Parade   at the Paeroa R.S.A.  on the itinerary for this evenings events.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:08:21 pm by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 10:40:33 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
The tiki earrings! Superb!

Brilliant all round, Miss Hurricane Annie.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 12:27:19 pm »

Forget duct tape - it's safety pins that hold the universe together! Lovely, subversive stuff (I do like the idea of a 'hippie eco subversive' medal on an Admiral's dress coat!)

Yours,
Miranda.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 07:08:48 pm »

Not the Admiral. Sorry. Rather Jung.

1) coat must be ironed. That would be smooth and hard.

2) Fluffy is not enough. Can add aiguillette?

the belt! Maybe a wide leather belt.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:39:54 pm by morozow » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 08:21:50 pm »

Not sure how appropriate it would be, but I'll mention it since the thread has the words "renegade" and "post-apocalyptic" in the title...

Remember Firefly, and Mal's old brown coat? He was wearing it when  he got grazed on the shoulder when he and Zoey almost got it on Whitefall. Forever after, every shot of him with that coat on showed a darned (meaning re-woven or perhaps naalbinded) or patched place on the coat's shoulder where the bullet hole was. Maybe some repaired battle damage like that would add to the looks of the piece as belonging to a renegade. Just an idea.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 11:43:34 pm »

Mr Bailey - if only I had read your post earlier. Next time I will do a patched spot, maybe  2 corresponding patches front and back to get people wondering Shocked
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 12:06:10 am »

Here are  links to photos of the Paeroa Steampunk Parade and  other  local groups in the Thames / Hauraki region.   There are a sprouting  network of regional groups in  New Zealand steaming ahead. There are marvelous contraptions and creative endeavors coming out of  the smaller towns.

https://www.facebook.com/LOTSAThamesSteampunks/?fref=photo
https://www.facebook.com/steampunkthethames/
[ Rotorua is a popular geothermal region in the North Island]
https://www.facebook.com/Waikato-Steampunk-Association-213354932034660/?fref=nf

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 04:42:34 am »

A close up of my colleagues  home made ray gun. She used a vintage kerosene torch and water sprinkler with a hole punch as a trigger mechanism

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 05:17:01 am »

I must say, that is very imaginative Ms. Annie!  Say that medal on the top far right, on the right side of the coat... does that suggest that your rogue admiral at one point raided the Canadian Bong Club? I imagine it was part of a crackdown on Asian gangs trading opiates and similar banned substances, yes? Grin

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 11:57:05 am »

I must say, that is very imaginative Ms. Annie!  Say that medal on the top far right, on the right side of the coat... does that suggest that your rogue admiral at one point raided the Canadian Bong Club? I imagine it was part of a crackdown on Asian gangs trading opiates and similar banned substances, yes? Grin

Just had to double check.  I cannot read what is on the bottom .  On closer inspection it is not a spanner on top, its an eagle on its haunches.

It may be booty from a rip snorting raid on a kayak club bringing contraband down the Pacific West coast. We smoked them out  before they shot up an arterial route eh.  Before they could puncture us  with a sharpened  fleur de lis eh  we  rousted them oot and strung them up  by their maple flavoured flag  pole .  We confiscated their cargo block by block  and sent them back over the border  to their pig farm, with not a body lost eh .

We did find a  case on the wall of mounted medals similar to the ones I was wearing . A returned serviceman somewhere is turning in his grave.

http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/index.html
http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/h/h5.html

I copied this ribbon design off a photo on the net

"The 1914-15 Star was awarded to servicemen and servicewomen who served between 5 August 1914 and 31 December 1915 in any "theatre of war", provided they had not qualified for the 1914 Star. This included service at Gallipoli between 25 April 1915 and 31 December 1915, service in Egypt between 5 November 1914 and 31 December 1915, and service during the capture of German Samoa on 29 August 1914. Those eligible for the medal must have "served on the establishment of a unit in a theatre of war" during the relevant dates of operations in that area."

The design of the medal resembling this one was  coincidence.
http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/h/h13.html
" About the Pacific Star

The Pacific Star was awarded for operational service in the Pacific between 8 December 1941 and 2 September 1945.  This medal was also awarded for certain specified service in China, Hong Kong, Malaya and Sumatra: between 8 December 1941 and 25 December 1941 (for Hong Kong); between 8 December 1941 and 15 February 1942 (for China and Malaya); and between 8 December 1941 and 23 March 1942 (for Sumatra). Second World War service in China, Hong Kong, Malaya and Sumatra after the above end dates was recognised by the award of the Burma Star.

Personnel qualifying for both the Pacific Star and the Burma Star were awarded the first star they qualified for, and a clasp in respect of the second star.

Note:  The Phoenix Islands, Samoa, Fiji, the New Hebrides, the Cocos/Keeling Islands and New Caledonia are not qualifying areas for the Pacific Star.  Instead service on these islands qualified towards the award of the Defence Medal."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: