The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 22, 2019, 05:34:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thief attire?  (Read 1209 times)
Martynthesneaky
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

If life gives you lemons, woo hoo free fruit!

Bagofreading
« on: March 03, 2016, 04:23:30 pm »

Hello there all you fine people!

My name is Martyn, I'm a long time lurker who finally took the plunge and joined up!

I'm planning on attending Asylum in the UK next year , and after a few months of consideration I have decided to go as a steampunk master thief. I have some rough ideas in terms of how I would like the costume to look, basing it VERY loosely on Garret from the Thief series of games, as trying to look up information on steampunk thieves left me empty handed.

Could any of you lovely lads and ladies suggest any props or items of clothing that are a must for this particular costume? I am assuming a cape and hood with mouth cover a la thief would be a definite, and dark clothing is a definite but , as I said, info on this particular idea is surprisingly sparse.

Thank you for reading this.

Yours always

Martynthesneaky
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:17:30 pm »

Garrett the Thief appears to be something of a fantasy ninja-assassin type, at least as far as costume is concerned.

When you described your ideas they sounded rather like a highwayman to me.  That is, I imagined something of a cloak-greatcoat with a high collar, a scarf over the mouth, and, I will confess, somewhat more hat than the Garrett character appears to possess.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Martynthesneaky
Swab

Bagofreading
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:34:50 pm »

I must confess, for all my love of the highwaymen of old, that thought hadn't crossed my poor little mind, although that definitely gives me a few more ideas to work on, so thank you very much for that Smiley

As for the hat, the more hat the better  Grin
Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:49:41 pm »

Great idea!

I'm not sure whether your preferred modus operandi would be burglary or robbery.  In either case, your attire suggests that you intend to hide in the shadows.

As a burglar, I imagine that you would carry tools for picking locks, forcing jambs, and perhaps blowing safes.  Maybe you might have a small phial of a substance that could be used to render the occupants of a dwelling insensible.  You might have a small weapon for self-defence.  You might have some small, sophisticated tools for assessing the quality of gems and other valuables (now there's a 'goggles project').

As a robber, you might want a mask for when you confront your victims.  You would certainly want a weapon, intimidating in appearance, yet also effective, in case you do have to fight for your booty, and also easily concealed and not burdensome to carry.

In either case, none of this should ordinarily be visible under your cape.  Your outfit may have many pockets to hold these items, and also to store and carry away your swag.
Martynthesneaky
Swab

Bagofreading
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 05:55:27 pm »

You are a gentleman and a scholar sir/madam, thank you!!
Martynthesneaky
Swab

Bagofreading
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »

Great idea!

I'm not sure whether your preferred modus operandi would be burglary or robbery.  In either case, your attire suggests that you intend to hide in the shadows.

As a burglar, I imagine that you would carry tools for picking locks, forcing jambs, and perhaps blowing safes.  Maybe you might have a small phial of a substance that could be used to render the occupants of a dwelling insensible.  You might have a small weapon for self-defence.  You might have some small, sophisticated tools for assessing the quality of gems and other valuables (now there's a 'goggles project').

As a robber, you might want a mask for when you confront your victims.  You would certainly want a weapon, intimidating in appearance, yet also effective, in case you do have to fight for your booty, and also easily concealed and not burdensome to carry.

In either case, none of this should ordinarily be visible under your cape.  Your outfit may have many pockets to hold these items, and also to store and carry away your swag.

Darn it, pressed send before I meant to.

Burglar is definitely my preferred method I think, not really big on the idea of murder and all that  Grin

I considered belts and bandoleers to hold various items underneath the coat so I think that may be the way forward on that one Smiley

With regards to weapons I was considering a couple of (most likely wooden) daggers stored at my back and maybe a pistol of some description on a hip holster.

I love the goggle idea, I'll work out how to do that over the next few months.

This is going to be my first costume so research is definitely the key here!

Thank you very much for all your help!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 06:49:49 pm »

The robber need to escape quickly from the scene.

Maybe add a "booster feet", say in boots. For a couple, a few pistons. Or springs, the imitation mechanism.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:05:49 pm »

I've always thought that subtlety and duality should be the watchwords of the master thief.

Better to be able to make a quick effective escape in any most situations than be easily identifiable ("He went that way officer, should be easy to spot with the ludicrous cape and appearance of an escaped S&M loving vampire who mostly shops at the leather belt store).

Baggy clothes with many a hidey place (to hide goods and your general shape) to suit the world-styling you're working with.
No capes.
Avoid black clothing.
Many a cool gadget. Get your Bond on. Cigar case with false bottom and lockpicks, potions and unguents, subtle and unsubtle weapons

Better to be able to walk down the street with nary a sideways glance than have to be 100% hidden away at all times, nothing attracts suspicion like acting suspiciously.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 09:30:06 pm »

Somehow the idea of daggers for a burglar seems a bit extreme; how about a cosh and a pair of steampunk knuckledusters to discourage any security guards without too much bloodshed? (Bloodstains are SO difficult to get out of fabric .....)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 09:47:26 pm »

The main character from The Phenonenals is a thief. Here is his only image:

What i remember most of his described attire is his hollow sole boots, in which he could stuff stolen ware.

Also interesting: lock picking devices

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 10:04:30 pm »

Poacher's pocket in your jacket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: