The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 04:29:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Dress from the Back  (Read 1290 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« on: March 02, 2016, 12:21:08 am »

I do paintings for donation to the raffle tables at the music festivals that I attend; it helps the festival's organizers generate money so they can cover costs and pay the performers and still have enough left over to break even. Plus, there are often charity type things going on as well. The main stricture is that they be music-related, and at least somewhat appropriate for the genre of the festival (mainly Old-Time music -hence the mounting number of steamboat portraits).

In a painting for an quickly-approaching festival, I'm illustrating the John Hartford tune Gum Tree Canoe, or so the dulcimer folk call it. I'm aware it has another name, but I can't remember it for certain.

The reason this is in the anatomical section on BG is that I need someone to direct me to a picture of a woman sitting on the ground, as it were picnicking, in an old-fashioned white or gingham or whatever light-colored dress, with her back to the observer (parasol a la the famous pics of John Hartford and  his ladyfriend would be nice, but is not an absolute requirement), so that I can get the folds and crumples of her garment correct. Does anyone have a link to such a picture?

Thanks in advance...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 06:01:53 am »

Here are a couple of ladies in canoes
here
and here

and a picnic scene

not this one
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 08:59:45 am »

The dress you are referring to is a tea dress or tea  gown

Try Google image searching vintage picnic, Edwardian picnic  , early Australian  or New Zealannd picnic and vintage wedding
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 04:26:33 pm »

Here are a couple of ladies in canoes
here
and here

and a picnic scene

YES!

Thank you, Ms. Annie!

not this one
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 04:53:39 pm »

When you asked for visual reference of a woman at a picnic, this is the first painting I thought of, but if you need reference to paint a dress, it won't work:
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 09:20:39 pm »

Have a look at some Tissot paintings.  Plenty of rufflings there.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 01:03:06 am »

When you asked for visual reference of a woman at a picnic, this is the first painting I thought of, but if you need reference to paint a dress, it won't work:

Pfft, no kidding.  Besides, Manet copied those figures from river gods in Raimondi's engraving of Raphael's design for the Judgement of Paris as a kind of visual joke.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 04:09:08 am »

Pfft, no kidding.  Besides, Manet copied those figures from river gods in Raimondi's engraving of Raphael's design for the Judgement of Paris as a kind of visual joke.

As I recall, the image eventually traced back to an ancient marble relief (Roman or Greek? I can't remember). The relief was probably copied from a paleolithic venus.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 06:53:42 am »

I find it intriguing that when I asked for a rendering of a woman at a picnic, the first thing that sprang to someone's mind was a nude woman (or women) at a picnic ... Wink
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 10:50:45 pm »

Here's the painting as it is at the moment; I'm not planning to do more to it.

Gum Tree Canoe
Thanks to Hurricane Annie for pics of women sitting on lawns in long dresses, and to everyone for your kind attention.

frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 09:55:05 pm »

*sigh* how romantic.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 08:24:16 pm »

*sigh* how romantic.