The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 20, 2021, 04:33:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wooden submarines: Spanish submarine Narcís Monturiol & secret boat Yefim Nikono  (Read 2964 times)
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« on: February 20, 2016, 04:26:03 pm »

155 years ago, in February of 1861 in Barcelona had been launched the first Spanish submarine

Ictineo I was a pioneering submarine constructed in Barcelona, Spain in 1858–1859 by engineer Narcís Monturiol i Estarriol.

Monturiol had originally wanted to build his pressure hull out of metal in the interests of strength but he and his financial backers lacked sufficient funds, so he instead settled for wood, with which he was familiar since his father was a cooper. The pressure hull was constructed from olive wood, supported with oak rings, and covered in 2 mm of copper, and measured 4 metres (13 ft) long, 2 metres (6.6 ft) at its highest, and 1 metre (3.3 ft) wide. Monturiol calculated that it should be able to maintain its integrity to a depth of 500 metres (1,600 ft), although he only rated it to 50 metres (160 ft) for the sake of safety. The outer streamlined hull was 7 metres (23 ft) long, 2.5 metres (8.2 ft) high, and displaced 10 tonnes. Several thick glass ports were installed on the sides, top, and bow of the Ictineo; these were semi-conical in shape so that water pressure would tend to force them more firmly into their seats and so avoid leaks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ictineo II was a pioneering submarine launched in 1864 by engineer Narcís Monturiol i Estarriol of Catalonia, Spain and was the first air independent and combustion powered submarine and was the first submarine to overcome the basic problems of machine powered underwater navigation.

The Ictineo II was 14 metres (46 ft) long, 2 metres (6.6 ft) wide, and 3 metres (9.8 ft) high. Her displacement was 46 tonnes and her interior volume was 29 cubic metres (1,000 cu ft). She was built of olive wood with oak reinforcements, and a 2 mm thick layer of copper. Her upper side had a deck 1.3 metres (4.3 ft) wide and a hatch with three glazed portholes 200 millimetres (7.9 in) in diameter and 100 millimetres (3.9 in) thick glass blocks. The submarine could be steered from the conning tower by means of an endless screw gear.

Four ballast tanks of 8 cubic metres (280 cu ft) capacity were located symmetrically on each side in the free flooding areas between the streamlined outer light hull and the inner pressure hull. The ballast tanks would be flooded at will to submerge and surfacing was achieved by forcing air into them with a pump. Pitch during diving was controlled by a weight which could be moved longitudinally along a rail, remotely controlled by the helmsman. The submarine also had an emergency mechanism intended to jettison the ballast to allow it to surface quickly.

The most important innovation in the Ictineo II was its air independent propulsion for underwater navigation. A reaction of zinc, manganese dioxide and potassium chlorate heated the boiler of a steam engine and the oxygen released by the reaction could be used for breathing and illumination. Monturiol purchased a six-cylinder steam engine and divided it in half; one half was powered by a coal-burning boiler for surface propulsion while the other half was powered by a separate boiler heated by his chemical mixture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcís_Monturiol
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:57:39 am by morozow » Logged

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 11:23:50 pm »

Very nice! They have a real Jules Verne look to them, don't they.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 11:51:28 pm »

There are several posts about these ships, but they're a bit scattered. Thank you for bringing them together for us.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 12:25:38 am »

Oh. I looked at the name of the ship, but did not find that.

Then the story about Russian submarine.

selectedgrub
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 01:08:14 am »

Inspiration behold.

Thanks, great thread.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:15:53 am by selectedgrub » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 09:33:20 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Olive wood, oak and copper and glass.
Jules Verne would have known about this Catalan invention, of course.
Yes, Wiki confirms that
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is a classic science fiction novel by French writer Jules Verne published in 1870.

Still, it's all in the name, of course. Nautilus trumps Ictineo I.

I remain yours,
Prof Cecily.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 04:05:35 pm »

When was the last wooden submarine built?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 05:20:27 pm »

It's been ages since I read 20,000 Leagues. However I believe the Nautilus is rather futuristic for it's time. No wooden hull or leather lounge chairs.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
selectedgrub
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 06:19:52 am »

Nevermind...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:17:58 am by selectedgrub » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 04:10:57 pm »

Nevermind...

a little too late. Classic boat with flippers.

selectedgrub
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 08:18:18 am »

Yes, something like that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: