The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 17, 2019, 05:34:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adapting an existing dress.......  (Read 1439 times)
angelsww
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« on: February 08, 2016, 10:38:29 pm »

I have a lovely dress, it is deep wine velvet, long with a dropped neck and cut away back... it was my wedding dress so I don't want to destroy it, but would love to dress it up to make a lovely ball gown.

I wanted to use the existing dress and add a tiered bustle to the back of it, I also plan to add sleeves which I am happy with. Thing is, because the dress has no waistline its straight up and down, I am not sure how to attach this new section of dress..... I am also not really sure what fabric to use. I wanted to make the sleeves in a matching lace.... but thought about some sort of contrast for the bustle?

what does anyone think.. any ideas?

Eliza
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 11:50:17 pm »

A photo or 12 of said dress, back & front, will help stir imaginations.

And don't forget the gloves. Wink

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
angelsww
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 12:51:38 am »

Thankyou.... it is vacupacked under my bed right now, so I will dig it out and let the creases drop a little lol
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:34:18 am »

A photo or 12 of said dress, back & front, will help stir imaginations.

And don't forget the gloves. Wink

yes a picture will help us picture   a potential revamp
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 07:51:34 pm »

Its and old video but in it talk about making a bustle and skirts over it and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbxRdDjp67g
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 06:50:55 am »

To add a bustle, why not make a separate waistband that you could attach the bustle to? You could also add a front apron drape if you wanted. Maybe make it wide and reinforce it with some plastic canvas interfacing for body, make it an interesting shape. Then the belt and bustle would stay put and you wouldn't have to change the actual dress.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 10:09:56 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
What a clever idea, Lepidoptera!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 11:49:13 am »

To add a bustle, why not make a separate waistband that you could attach the bustle to? You could also add a front apron drape if you wanted. Maybe make it wide and reinforce it with some plastic canvas interfacing for body, make it an interesting shape. Then the belt and bustle would stay put and you wouldn't have to change the actual dress.

Definitely! Also, to break up the "straight up and down" of the dress the waistband could be expanded to a waist clincher or corset (real or costume). However, as mentioned, a few piccys of said garment would really guide our suggestions.

Yours,
Miranda.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 05:49:39 pm »

Why not a bolaro?  It would add sleeves without having to change the dress much.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 09:55:32 pm »

Simplicity pattern 2851 can be adapted fairly easily so the front apron and bustle are on a waistband rather than attached to the garment.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 08:28:22 am »

Good morning ladies and gentlemen.

Just to show you how far you can go with a Simplicity 2851
http://sewlikeinparis.com/simplicity-2851-feathered-with-2966/

This thread is providing some wonderful ideas and inspiration, isn't it!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
angelsww
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 03:50:23 pm »

Hi all, these ideas are fabulous...

I am not ignoring you or refusing to post Photos of said dress, its just I haven't been well and its packed up so need someone to pull it out for me (need help moving the bed as its vacu-packed underneath)

I acquired some velvet in a near match last week, so I was thinking of maybe doing the separate bustle  / apron attachment.... I also did think about a lace low cut gypsy type top I could wear underneath to remove the need to add sleeves.

I think that maybe to reduce impact of there being a difference in shades of the two coloured velvets maybe I should introduce a contrasting fabric in between dress and bustle.... I think it might lighten it too.... Maybe some lace? LOL

I used to make all my own clothes about 20 years ago, then the children's but haven't made anything in ten years and have lost my confidence.

Ok.... another quick question...... I am trying to come up with 'trendy' steampunk outfits for a 14 year old boy.... I see a lot of waistcotas but want to avoid the boy dressed as man look in formal waistcoats etc, introducing some fun instead... he is past the age for the urchin look.... So I was thinking... boots! Black jeans and I have got an old double breasted chefs tunic in white.. I was thinking of changing the buttons and dying it.... but not sure if this would look ok..... I would accessorize it with bits and pieces... add belts, holster etc... but I am just at a loss of what to do for him...

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 06:04:42 pm »

Ok.... another quick question...... I am trying to come up with 'trendy' steampunk outfits for a 14 year old boy.... I see a lot of waistcotas but want to avoid the boy dressed as man look in formal waistcoats etc, introducing some fun instead... he is past the age for the urchin look.... So I was thinking... boots! Black jeans and I have got an old double breasted chefs tunic in white.. I was thinking of changing the buttons and dying it.... but not sure if this would look ok..... I would accessorize it with bits and pieces... add belts, holster etc... but I am just at a loss of what to do for him...

Something military perhaps? He's probably too old to be a drummer boy, but how about a midshipman on a naval dirigible?
angelsww
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 06:25:06 pm »

Thank you, I will look these up....

He is on the edge of a growth spurt although 5'6" he is going to be a six footer soon, so I wanted something that would grow with him and allow him to develop his own style as he gets older.

He loves the drama of steampunk so can imagine him keeping with it Smiley

I normally make jewellery bits and pieces but am going to have a go at making some 'arm armour' to see how it comes out and to see if he likes that look....  Waiting for hospital treatment at present so have a lot of time on my hands but too many ideas to settle to one thing Sad
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 11:44:47 pm »

Isn't your son old enough to design his own outfit?  And even to work with you on bits of it?
angelsww
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 01:21:15 am »

Isn't your son old enough to design his own outfit?  And even to work with you on bits of it?

He will certainly help me work on it.... Smiley

But we have both looked at styles and are struggling to find one suitable for his age. I have quite a bit of time on my hands right now... so its good to do some stuff in advance of Asylum
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 09:23:50 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
I applaud your approach to the Asylum- starting the attire early will make it all much more enjoyable.

I like the idea of lace and more lace to combine with the existing dress, especially if you team it with arm armour, a wild neck piece, corsetry, belts,  hat and boot details.

As for the 14 year old, why not go mad scientist? That old chef's coat could be the base for such an outfit.
Alternatively, he or you  might try reading Girl Genius for some inspiration.
Here's the online version: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

All the best with your upcoming surgical intervention!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 12:17:52 pm »

how about a cabin boy? sew some red ribbon down the leg seams to militarize the pants a bit.

you could get a felt beret cap and sew a strip of felt to make it a bill-less seaman cap and monogram a boat name to it

monogram a name on the chef jacket too.

TITANIC comes to mind  Wink

then its just some ice blue lips and he has to just shiver a lot.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 07:36:23 pm »

It really comes down to what he wants to be styled in. Military, Gentleman, Scientist etc
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 05:15:09 am »

A strapping lad of 14 should be able to make his own decisions and be just about anything in Steampunkdom.
Remember, in RL Vicwardian times, he would have already had about 4-6 years working in some dark satanic mill or down'ta'pit.
Or he could have put his age up a few years and joined a Regiment or one of HM's Airships.

In RL my first CSM, then in his fifties and about to be compulsoraly retired, marched himself into the OCs office and confessed to the commission of a grave service offence - in 1950 at the age of 14 he had used his deceased brother's birth certificate to enlist for the Korean War. Being 6'3" and in the era before computer databases, he'd got away with it for 40 years. The punishment? A reprimand and 4 extra years to serve under his real name.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:18:54 am by Fairley B. Strange » Logged

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
angelsww
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 05:44:17 pm »

Too true, unfortunately with this new fangled thing called school it doesn't leave a lot of time for a creative outlet and as I have that time....

Anyway.. thankyou to everyone who has commented on both my dress ideas and his costuming.

Smiley
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 03:33:32 am »

Still haven't seen that dress..........
 Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: