The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 06:30:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Size 9 ladies steampunk wedding shoes, help!  (Read 1240 times)
newvernier
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 06, 2016, 10:42:12 am »

Hiya, getting married in May, having a full-on steampunk themed bash. My fiancee is making her own cake, her own dress, bouquet and jewellery, she's so talented! BUT, she hasn't any shoes to wear. Ellen has size 9UK feet and finding anything suitable with a low heel has been impossible.
Can anyone recommend anywhere where we might be able get her sorted out?
Many thanks in advance.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:52:32 am »

Dear newvernier,
Firstly, all the best with preparing for the wedding - I hope the day is wonderful for you both.

As to the boots, a couple of thoughts come to mind. Firstly, you could purchase some everyday ones and Steampunk them; the thread here http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45882.0.html may give some ideas. Alternatively, depending on where you are in the UK, if within easy travelling distance of Whitby for the April goth weekend the Bizarre Bazaar usually has a number of footware stalls.

Yours,
Miranda.
Lepidoptera
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:42:36 am »

I know how hard it is to find just the right boots. I myself need a low heel and roomy footwear. I wonder, if she can't find just the right boots, maybe a generic shoe with a kitten heel and lovely brocade or embroidered spats that match the shoe material in color. Not lots of lacy frills, let the fabric do the talking. That way she can get what fits and a proper dressy neo-Victorian look.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 03:09:14 am »

Dependent on the colour and style of dress, a black Chuck Taylor Converse high top  can be effective for  casual or formal. They  have the effect  of a boot,  are still lady like and feminine  - and very comfortable.  

I wear mine for all manner of occasions.  [my late father would be spinning in his grave at my suggestion of them for  a wedding boot]

They come in leather and canvas , [ brown or white could also be effective]

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:12:55 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 09:06:08 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

I know how hard it is to find just the right boots. I myself need a low heel and roomy footwear. I wonder, if she can't find just the right boots, maybe a generic shoe with a kitten heel and lovely brocade or embroidered spats that match the shoe material in color. Not lots of lacy frills, let the fabric do the talking. That way she can get what fits and a proper dressy neo-Victorian look.

Snap!
Kitten heels and spats would be my advice, as well..

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 05:09:48 pm »

Flat heels not kitten heels, weddings involve a lot of standing so comfort first.  You can make extremely elegant spats or puttees that go with flat shoes and do not sacrifice comfort.
newvernier
Swab

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 05:31:28 pm »

Hi, thanks for the suggestions, Fortunately, whilst walking around Lincoln yesterday, in Primark we found a pair of size 8 shoes which are perfect and a great fit, all for the end-of-line price of 5 English pounds! So by now we've removed the zips, glued on some leather strips and are waiting for it to dry before we start putting eyelets in for lacing and knocking some copper nails into the heels  Grin
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 07:00:43 pm »

Glad you found something suitable and hope the rest of the 'refit' goes smoothly.
I'm sure your wedding day will be wonderful.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 08:58:03 pm »

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.
That is delightful news indeed.

I'd love to see how they turn out!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
newvernier
Swab

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 09:57:38 am »

Hi again, here's what we've come up with, ok I know they're not flat as originally planned, but Ellen plans to switch into some flats for the dancing and you won't really see them under her skirt anyway. 

Many thanks
Dunk
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 12:22:33 pm »

That is a grand wedding boot
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 07:00:19 pm »

Very smart; the bow gives them a French Revolution feel.

Hope the big day goes wonderfully,

Yours,
Miranda.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 12:26:40 am »

That is a fine conversion.

Congratulations and best wishes on your wedding.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 07:59:34 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
They're gorgeous!
I've also taken to replacing laces with ribbon on my steampunk boots and shoes- that takes the footwear into a different level of splendidness!

I really like what you've done and hope your wedding is the first chapter of a long and happy life together!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: