The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2021, 08:59:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek episodes (Original series) that showed Dilithium Crystals  (Read 1221 times)
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Sky Pirate Brewer

« on: February 03, 2016, 11:11:47 pm »

Do we have any Star Trek fans who would happen to know, or know where they can find, which episode(s) of the original Star Trek had images of the Dilithium Crystals shown ?

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

ClockworkRaja
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 04:24:26 am »

Ellen of Troyius shows them

Hannibal Haberdashery and Optical Gadget Emporium
https://www.facebook.com/HannibalHaberdashery
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 04:29:13 am »

Ellen of Troyius shows them

Looks like Rose Quartz to me  Grin

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dilithium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilithium_%28Star_Trek%29

In the Star Trek fictional universe, dilithium is an invented chemical element which serves as a controlling agent in the faster-than-light warp drive. In the original series, dilithium crystals were rare and could not be replicated, making the search for them a recurring plot element. According to a periodic table shown during a Next Generation episode, it has the chemical symbol Dt and the atomic number 87, which in reality belongs to francium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francium

Bulk francium has never been viewed. Because of the general appearance of the other elements in its periodic table column, it is assumed that francium would appear as a highly reflective metal, if enough could be collected together to be viewed as a bulk solid or liquid. Obtaining such a sample is highly improbable, since the extreme heat of decay (the half-life of its longest-lived isotope is only 22 minutes) would immediately vaporize any viewable quantity of the element.

*snip*

Francium is an alkali metal whose chemical properties mostly resemble those of caesium.[4] A heavy element with a single valence electron,[5] it has the highest equivalent weight of any element.[4] Liquid francium—if created—should have a surface tension of 0.05092 N/m at its melting point.[6] Francium's melting point was calculated to be around 27 °C (80 °F, 300 K).[7] The melting point is uncertain because of the element's extreme rarity and radioactivity. Thus, the estimated boiling point value of 677 °C (1250 °F, 950 K) is also uncertain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:58:07 am »

Sites like alpha Memory are hard to gain real information from.
I remember one  time in the past I was trying to find all the episodes of Star Trek Voyager that 7 of 9 sang in.  They told me about everything except what I wanted to know.  Wink
The photo of the Rose Quarts seen here:
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dilithium

Has no information telling which series of Star Trek the image came from, much less the name or number of the episode. Sad
It seems that so far only episode 13 of the 3rd year, "Ellen of Troyius" shows them.  I was thinking that there was another episode that showed them.

Thanks,
Stan er I mean, the Sky Pirate.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 06:35:07 pm »

That was a whole episode that revolved around the Enterprise trying to get dilithium miners to give them their crystals.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:29:03 pm »

Put a search in Google.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=DILITHIUM+CRYSTAL+IMAGES&biw=1060&bih=869&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi73prun-HKAhVLvRoKHUvoBngQsAQIHg

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 12:26:27 am »

Only one or two of the results on the 1st page are legit and were what I was looking for.  Trekies know the show inside and out and can direct on to the episodes in question much faster that digging through tons of images.  Many of the images even when I included "used in show" or "shown in episode" have nothing to do with the search, it seems to ignore those key words and simply display what it finds the most of.
Please, I don't mean to sound critical, but often times Google is NOT the fastest way to get information, especially when one is being specific.
I think I have found the info I was looking for.  Will share with the group soon.

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 12:31:52 am »

P.S. - I am a rock and mineral collector first, and a Star Trek fan second.  I am not a fan of "Star Trek" TOS.  I have become a fan of "Star Trek" Voyager and Enterprise, primarily due to T'Pol and 7 of 9!  Wink
A few years ago, I was able to purchase fragments from a "Dilitium Crystal" used on a televised episode of Star Trek TOS.   I purchased it from Chris Doohan, Scotties son.
Chris had inherited them from his father.
Even though they are just pieces of Quartz crystal they hold a special place in my collection.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 12:45:11 am »

P.S. - I am a rock and mineral collector first, and a Star Trek fan second.  I am not a fan of "Star Trek" TOS.  I have become a fan of "Star Trek" Voyager and Enterprise, primarily due to T'Pol and 7 of 9!  Wink
A few years ago, I was able to purchase fragments from a "Dilitium Crystal" used on a televised episode of Star Trek TOS.   I purchased it from Chris Doohan, Scotties son.
Even though they are just pieces of Quartz crystal they hold a special place in my collection.

OK so let me see if I got it straight.  You already have original 1960s series Dilithium Crystals,  so you already know what they look like (in the original series),  but you just want to know in which episodes these crystals make an appearance?
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 01:37:09 am »

OK so let me see if I got it straight.  You already have original 1960s series Dilithium Crystals,  so you already know what they look like (in the original series),  but you just want to know in which episodes these crystals make an appearance?

What I've got is fragments of an original Dilithium Crystal that James Doohan said was used on a televised episode of Star Trek.  Having fragments in no way told me what they looked like before they where fragmented.  I wanted to find a screen grab to go with the crystals, showing them on the show.  I would also refer to the date the episode aired, the episode number and the episode name.  The fragments I have are a yellowish brown quartz.  So far the only episode that showed "Dilitium Crystals" was Season 3 episode 13 titled "Elaan of Troyius". 
My Neuropathy pain meds have kicked in, so I hope y'all are able to follow my train of though.  If still unclear, just say so, I won't get mad.  Smiley

Stan ,er I mean, The Sky Pirate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: