The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 17, 2019, 04:10:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Not Silk Wings  (Read 1059 times)
Lepidoptera
Gunner
United States United States

« on: January 30, 2016, 10:45:05 pm »

I really wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Tactile, but since it involves fabric, here it is.

I am in the preliminary contemplative phase of designing a costume that has big, colorful wings. Hopefully it will be something that can collapse gracefully as well as extend impressively. I have found this:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/239095010/hand-painted-100-silk-isis-wings-unique?ref=related-6
which is very close to what I want as far as size and flexibility. (I think I would be doing some sort of light framework that lifts and lowers by a framework in back, so I don't have to hold my arms extended.) Those gorgeous wings are way out of my price range, as is the silk used to make them.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions as to what kind of inexpensive fabric would lend itself to painting with dyes or fabric paints, that would be soft and drapey when not extended? I'm thinking maybe polyester lining fabric, or something like that. Otherwise I'll just buy a few sample pieces of fabric and do test painting.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 06:27:58 pm »

If you do the lining fabric test it with the paint before doing anything with the big shapes because some paint can cause stiffening.  also give your fabric the fist crinkle test too see how much ironing it will need.  In the store grab a handful of the fabric and squeeze if the wrinkles stay you may want to go for another fabric because that one is going to get rumpled looking super fast.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:13:29 pm »

Would polyester material used to make flags be ok? They need to be light enough to fly in a slight breeze, and would you be able to make your wings in coloured sections?Or would permanent markers be an option?  I don't know how much colour 'bleed' there'd be with the ink from the markers though.

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:46:36 pm »

I'll be interested to see your frame.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 04:48:02 am »

I'll be interested to see your frame.

Now, when I say that to young ladies I usually get my face slapped....

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:16:36 pm »

How out of your budget is real silk?

Silk habutai is a very fine, soft, light, drapey silk that is used for lining and is nearly as inexpensive as silk can get.  The last I checked one can find very lightweight habutai for as little as $3 a yard.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: