The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 17, 2019, 01:32:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk 13th birthday party for son  (Read 2816 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 10:42:15 pm »

Allowing your Coglet to make an account for BG?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 11:31:35 pm »

-A movie could be a good conclusion to the evening, one of the plethora of steampunk disney movies ( Treasure Planet, Atlantis, 20 0000 League Under The Sea, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, etc) for example.

- You should also think to some ambience music. Sadly, i don't know a lot of pre-teen friendly steampunk bands.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 12:40:14 am »

Have you seen this book, and some of the projects inside it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Steampunk-Adventurers-Guide-Contraptions/dp/0071827803

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 03:56:55 am »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Steampunk-Adventurers-Guide-Contraptions/dp/0071827803

I think I can pick up a copy at Anachrocon in February, Thomas is always there...

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 06:19:29 am »

Marshmallow gun duelling.  If you have kits ready the kids can make their own.  The good part is that marshmallows don't hurt.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2016, 04:11:12 pm »

Marshmallow gun duelling.  If you have kits ready the kids can make their own.  The good part is that marshmallows don't hurt.

I volunteer to be the target ...

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 12:36:12 am »

I think I can pick up a copy at Anachrocon in February, Thomas is always there...

He's always fun to talk with. Talked with him for a good while at one he came to before.  I've looked over that book when he had a copy with him. Its good. Mostly made with craft foam.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 09:37:26 pm »

the jet packs look like a good idea and probably a fairly easy craft project for the kids.

catapult/trebuchet might be tricky, but if you got it built, could lob water balloons or balls at stack boxes to knock them down (like Angry birds).

consider buying up a bunch of used nerf guns (get all the same ammo), and do some slop-n-go painting to steampunk them so they can have a battle to see what team gets to fire the catapult.

Maybe they have to complete construction of the jetpacks in order to get to the battlefield to use the guns.

So it's kind of a daisy chain of events that sort of makes sense as a story.

What's the plan for costuming the kids?  When I hear steampunk birthday, I imagine everybody dressed up.  Which is a bit trickier for kids (and kids who aren't yours to buy and size for).  Given the possibility of messes, having boys dress up in their sunday finest before making rocket packs, running around killing each other or falling in mud puddles

Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 09:41:07 pm »

Coke and mentos!!

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 06:13:47 am »

the jet packs look like a good idea and probably a fairly easy craft project for the kids.

catapult/trebuchet might be tricky, but if you got it built, could lob water balloons or balls at stack boxes to knock them down (like Angry birds).

consider buying up a bunch of used nerf guns (get all the same ammo), and do some slop-n-go painting to steampunk them so they can have a battle to see what team gets to fire the catapult.

Maybe they have to complete construction of the jetpacks in order to get to the battlefield to use the guns.

So it's kind of a daisy chain of events that sort of makes sense as a story.

What's the plan for costuming the kids?  When I hear steampunk birthday, I imagine everybody dressed up.  Which is a bit trickier for kids (and kids who aren't yours to buy and size for).  Given the possibility of messes, having boys dress up in their sunday finest before making rocket packs, running around killing each other or falling in mud puddles

Well, the catapult is the easy part- we have an awesome book called Art of the Catapult, which I bought as a Christmas gift for both husband and sons a few years ago. We have already done one catapult themed birthday, every kid went home with a tabletop sized catapult instead of a goodie bag. Ferris, the offspring in question, has requested a larger scale siege weapon in honor of his thirteenth birthday. I think that possibly we will be doing goggle decorating, maybe some sort of building activity, and of course firing the catapult.... But I still have some time to plan, so I will see what develops..
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2016, 06:18:41 am »

Have You Considered maybe Allowing Your Son to Build a Water Balloon Mortar as Well for Some Fun @ the Party? I've seen Plans Offered by Mail for them, You may Want to check online for Such a Thing too. Hope this Isn't Going Too far for You.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 05:36:41 am »

Have You Considered maybe Allowing Your Son to Build a Water Balloon Mortar as Well for Some Fun @ the Party? I've seen Plans Offered by Mail for them, You may Want to check online for Such a Thing too. Hope this Isn't Going Too far for You.

No, not for our birthday parties... We did water rockets last year....
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 12:17:14 am »

was going to suggest water rockets but you did that already.

my water rocket design is perfect for parties and for kids to complete. I use 2 liter and 1.5 liter bottles.

I cut 3/8 pvc pipe into 12 inch lengths and use PL premium (its like liquid nails) to glue tem into the bottles about one inch+ into the opening.  you want the pipe to start where the bottle taper meets the straight neck.

the adhesive takes a few days to dry so I make up a few beforehand.

the rest is easy, just pvc pipe glue a 3/8 pipe to 3/4 threaded adapter to the other end and screw on a garden hose quick connect nipple. the threads aren't the same but they work well enough together.

the fins are cut from laundry soap plastic jugs so that you get a corner with one leg around 1/2 inch long and the other leg the actual fin. pop two holes in the very corner so that 4 fins can be zip tied to the pvc pipe in a sort of swastika pattern. that way the fins are offset to the centerline of the pipe and induce a tumbling action after the rocket reaches its apogee.

the fins can be of any sort of shape as long as you keep it roughly 2 by 3 inches in surface area. the rockets fly very stable no matter what the fin is really, good for encouraging the rocketeers.

the launcher is the female quick connector with the check valve knocked out and its screwed to a pvc tee with a Schrader valve to hook a bike pump to. I bust out the check valve and epoxy in a section of plastic driveway reflector stick into the tee so that the rocket slides over the rod and into the quick connect. the rod acts like a launch guide and a piston to get the rocket off to a good start.

you just unscrew the nipple and fill the rocket just under half full and replace the nipple. a bit of grease or Vaseline on the pipe threads will make it easier to do repeatedly.

you then snap the rocket into the quick connect fitting and pump it up to 40 or so pounds. I use a base plate with a larger pvc pipe cap screwed to it, to stick the pvc T launcher into to hold it all for launching. after its pumped up, you just pull down on the quick connect and away it goes, just be ready to get soaking wet!

the 2 liter rocket go very well and come down slowly, spinning like a paddle wheel. the 1.5 liters go higher and faster but more times than not, come down straight and fast, not the safest with a gaggle of small humanoids milling about.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 03:51:05 am »

Otto, the water rockets were a huge success last year, but the birthday boy is requesting a catapult...
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 04:56:06 pm »

Catapult ... onager? ballista? trebuchet?
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 06:42:06 pm »

Catapult ... onager? ballista? trebuchet?
Probably an onager, although a trebuchet would be fun too... The book we have has instructions for all types of siege weapons.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 07:17:33 pm »

I highly suggest either tennis balls or a pillow or some sort of rock shaped stuffed item for the ammo. I say this because I have seen a small scale trebuchet put a golf ball straight through a wall before
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 11:06:56 pm »

I have a special hatred of trebuchet, impossible to debug. totally frustrated me for days.

give me a ballista or catapult over a trebuchet every time!

perhaps a ballista made from a large diameter pvc pipe with longitudinal slots for some surgical tubing to pass thru. this could propel a small plastic bucket the water balloon or bean bag sit in,  out the pipe. two faux bow arms to lash the tubing to and maybe two adjustable arms like a modern mortar base, to adjust aiming. make two and  they can set up at opposite ends of a large yard and lob at each other.

not nearly as lethal as lawn darts but should be a bit of fun.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 05:21:36 am »

We were thinking catapult + water balloons...  Anything else might be either hazardous or hard to find if it gets launched into the woods..
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 07:53:35 pm »

We were thinking catapult + water balloons...  Anything else might be either hazardous or hard to find if it gets launched into the woods..

that would probably work.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2016, 09:36:59 pm »

My dear ForestB

Your birthday parties do sound like extreme fun!
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 10:58:39 pm »

My dear ForestB

Your birthday parties do sound like extreme fun!

Most of the attendees agree.....
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2016, 07:32:45 pm »

Might I suggest either having them paint squirt guns or pre-painting squirt guns to look like ray guns? Could have a squirt gun fight.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: