The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 17, 2019, 01:51:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk 13th birthday party for son  (Read 2817 times)
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« on: January 08, 2016, 04:48:56 am »

So my oldest son has decided that his thirteenth birthday party will be a steampunk theme. Oh,  and we will also have a catapult... What other sort of activities do you think would be fun for this particular age group?

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:10:23 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
A treasure hunt.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:48:57 pm »

Nerf dueling?

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 08:59:13 pm »

Tea/coffee dueling surely?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:32:25 pm »

Dependent on the seasonal and climatic constraints - water fights , slime fights , mud fights , any sort of play fights ....

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:25:03 pm »

Save up plastic bottles, cardboard boxes and tubes, yogurt pots and suchlike, provide glue, sticky tape and paint, and give the assembly thirty minutes or so to make something steampunk.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:31:28 pm »

Save up plastic bottles, cardboard boxes and tubes, yogurt pots and suchlike, provide glue, sticky tape and paint, and give the assembly thirty minutes or so to make something steampunk.

Yours,
Miranda.

Might be an idea to visit a charity shop and buy a load of mens shirts to wear as 'lab coats' while they make their mad scientist steampunk inventions.
Include a roll of duct tape and with any luck they'll use it on each other?Huh?
(I like children but I couldn't eat a whole one ...)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 11:02:10 pm »

Some kind of remote control racing.  We've seen teapots, steampunk hats and mechanical beasts built over a radio controlled car base. 
If you've timer to prepare it could even be an obstacle course.

A giant puzzle of Fit The Gears Into The Device. Do it as a timed game. the puzzle can be table top or wall mounted.

A simpler version Pin The Hands On The Clock in the same way you play Pin The Tail On The Donkey.

A lucky dip for steampunk objects.

A sepia print photographic portrait area with one or two interesting Steampunk theme settings.  Preferably including skilled photographer and some way to do prints on site.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 01:40:50 am »

Yours,
Miranda.

Might be an idea to visit a charity shop and buy a load of mens shirts to wear as 'lab coats' while they make their mad scientist steampunk inventions.
Include a roll of duct tape and with any luck they'll use it on each other?Huh?
(I like children but I couldn't eat a whole one ...)

I love children with a relish
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 01:43:19 am »

I like the ideas above of a steampunk build competit ion and the remote controled racing . If you or your son and his friends are techno minded -

The photo/video aspect could be incorporated in
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 02:30:31 am »

I also like the build idea, his birthday isn't until the end of April, so things can be planned... I have to run it by the offspring...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 12:07:13 pm »

I also like the build idea, his birthday isn't until the end of April, so things can be planned... I have to run it by the offspring...

Yes, we did this one Halloween as a 'build a monster' activity. However, do make sure you do it in a space that's easily swept up and wiped down  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 09:00:56 pm »

Here a variety inspired by my old science class and my childhood activity book.

1-Build A Monster Game:

You Need:

-A piece of paper by players

-A Dice

How To Play:

Atribute a monster part for each side of the dice. At each turn, the players throw the dice to see whitch part they get. The first to build a full monster win.

2- Space Shuttle Contest.

You Need:

-A Egg By Team

- Various Art And Craft Material

How To Play:

The materials are gathered at a ''shop'' and each team have a limited ''budget'' to buit it. The goal is to build a protective ''shuttle'' capable of preventing a egg to be broken when droped from the top of the house.

3- Hovercraft Race

You Need:

-2 Hamburger Package

-2 Plastic Cup

- A Pen And Scissors

-Metallic Color Pen

How To Prepare:

-Cut the bottom of the cups and draw is place in the center of the packages.

- Cut the packages and place the cups

- Steampunkise Your Hovercrafts With The Color Pens

-Establishe A Departure And Arrival Point

How To Play:

The players blow the top of the hovercrafs to make them advance. Than the race began !

4- Boat Race

You Need:

- Cupboards

- Soap

-Oil

- A Bathub

Preparation: Cut two little cupboard boat. Cut a slot in the middle of each. Fill the bathtub place the boat at one end of it.

How To Play:

Put a drop of oil in the slot of the first boat and a drop of soap in the second. That will generate a action-reaction effect who will make the boats move. Who will win the race ?

5- The Nervosimeter

You Need:

- A plank ( 40x20cm)

-A 4,5 V Battery

-A lightbulb and his socket

- Rigid metal string (a hanger for example)

-Duct Tape

-A Hammer

-A plier

- 2 inverted u shaped clip

- 3 shard of electric thread with the naked extremity, with one of 50 cm of lenght.

Preparation:

- With the plier, give a shape to the metal string.

-Fix this shape on the plank with the clip. In each side, isolate the electric thread with duct tape

-Make a knot ( 1 cm of diameter more or less) at the extremity of the longest electric thread (surrounding the metal string) then branch it to the bulb who himself branched to the battery who himself branched to the other thread who is attached at one end of the shape.

How to play:

The goal is to move the knot without lighting the bulb by touching the string.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:32:55 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 12:46:30 am »

Obstical course Croquet. Set up a croquet game with jumps, etc.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 04:27:44 am »

I like that idea!  I know at least the party favors will be goggles.... I also have to think about pinata design, we have one at every birthday party.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 05:24:58 am »

I like that idea!  I know at least the party favors will be goggles.... I also have to think about pinata design, we have one at every birthday party.

Steampnk donkey ??

the obvious choice is a dirigible in full flight , perhaps with the  lad in questions name emblazoned on it.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 05:47:57 am »

Well over the years I have made creepers, zombies and spiders from minecraft, a Skyrim dragon, two death stars, and a robot pinata. Those are just the ones I can remember right now. I'm thinking a dirigble might be fun, but maybe I'll go for a kraken... after all, I don't see too many more pinata builds in my future.
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 07:08:55 am »

Have You Considered a Globe Pinata? just thought I'd Toss that Out for You to Consider.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 07:32:44 am »

Well over the years I have made creepers, zombies and spiders from minecraft, a Skyrim dragon, two death stars, and a robot pinata. Those are just the ones I can remember right now. I'm thinking a dirigble might be fun, but maybe I'll go for a kraken... after all, I don't see too many more pinata builds in my future.

grab the chance while you can
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 08:30:35 am »

How about an Air Kraken fighting a Dirigible? Either as one large Pinata or as a pair.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 11:26:50 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
How about an Air Kraken fighting a Dirigible? Either as one large Pinata or as a pair.
Splendid. Simply splendid!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 05:55:47 pm »

This might be for a younger age group but what about making 2 liter bottle rocket packs?

The link below has a how to for a decent one. You could always add cups to the bottom to make a wider point the flame comes from

http://theasylum.catherinekiff-vozza.com/blog/2013/5/4/mini-turbo-booster

could always make them a bit more detailed but those are just some ideas.

They could make them as a craft even. Could either make or provide some sort of flight hat/goggles. The goggles could be based on Swim goggles even
setzer808
Deck Hand

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 07:30:42 pm »

Ok, that Jet Pack idea is just wonderful!

Here's my submission:  Fill up a bunch of helium balloons and have lots of yarn, popsicle sticks, cardboard, cartons, etc and make Zepplins/Airships.  If you want to get competitive you can run line through a straw attached to each vessel and either by letting the balloon deflate or using something more complex (rubber band powered propeller?) you can race them.     ....picture pinewood derby...steampunk style.

(At work right now sneaking a peak at the forum, so not sure I saw all the ideas submitted so far, sorry if mine was a duplicate).
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 07:46:56 pm »

Ok, that Jet Pack idea is just wonderful!

Here's my submission:  Fill up a bunch of helium balloons and have lots of yarn, popsicle sticks, cardboard, cartons, etc and make Zepplins/Airships.  If you want to get competitive you can run line through a straw attached to each vessel and either by letting the balloon deflate or using something more complex (rubber band powered propeller?) you can race them.     ....picture pinewood derby...steampunk style.

(At work right now sneaking a peak at the forum, so not sure I saw all the ideas submitted so far, sorry if mine was a duplicate).

https://sciencebob.com/make-a-balloon-rocket/
setzer808
Deck Hand

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 09:01:11 pm »

Exactly!   Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: