The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 22, 2021, 04:02:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone planning a solstice celbration?  (Read 1143 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 20, 2015, 10:17:55 pm »

With the solstice a couple of days off, is anyone planning anything to mark it? Given that it's the shortest day for us in the northern hemisphere, and assuming it ever stops raining, we're planning a small bonfire and a glass or two raised to commemorate the last circuit around the sun and christen the new. Not exactly earth-shattering; does anyone have anything interesting planned?

Yours,
Miranda.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:15:25 am »

Always like to do something for the solstice.  This year I am giving blood at the Red Cross.  Always nice when the days start to get longer again.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 07:41:34 am »

I'll celebrate by sleeping one of the two longest nights of the year  Wink

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 10:16:58 am »

As Christmas is such a stressful nightmare of arguments about which in-laws to spend it with and long-distance driving between opposite corners of the country to accommodate both sets of parents and relations, we always celebrate winter solstice as the calm before the storm. My wife, the kids and I start with stacks of blueberry pancakes and end with a big roast dinner (prepared together as a family - who says too many cooks spoil a broth? Good thing we're not having a broth, I suppose  Smiley ) and then blobbing out around a small bonfire with mulled drinks (age appropriate  Wink ).
In the middle there is a present each, always light based. This year I have made LED colour-change lamps for the kids to match their current obsessions: my daughter's has all six of the Aperture Science logos (from Portal) cut out for the light to shine through and my son's has assorted Digicrests (from Digimon). My wife gets a kaleidoscope as always - after 30 years she now has a large and rather beautiful collection. Hopefully next year I'll be able to make a mechanical one...

It's a very enjoyable tradition that I feel keeps hold of some of the best aspects of traditional yule family celebrations in an otherwise hectic and consumerised Xmas.

Happy Solstice one and all  Grin

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 12:18:51 pm »

You are aware it's a day later than usual this year aren't you?

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 01:29:40 pm »

I would like to be spending it watching the solstice sunrise at Newgrange, but as that is not going to happen this year I will spend it not doing an awful lot, as I have a foot full of screws and surgical wire that I acquired last week causing some considerable limitations to mobility and activity.

The day after will be getting sutures removed, and the day after that is my birthday. Have no idea what is happening for Christmas!
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:14:56 pm »

You are aware it's a day later than usual this year aren't you?
Indeed. You think I'd be posting here on a family-centred day? 24 hours from my last post I'll be feeding my face and several others.  Grin
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 03:55:54 pm »

I might play the banjo and fiddle in my underwwear...

Er... OoPs, that didn't come out exactly right...  Shocked Embarrassed Wink
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 04:00:11 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 05:37:14 am »

Er... OoPs, that didn't come out exactly right...  Shocked Embarrassed Wink

So there's a fetish for that too??  Shocked  Lips sealed
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 11:28:39 am »

As Christmas is such a stressful nightmare of arguments about which in-laws to spend it with and long-distance driving between opposite corners of the country to accommodate both sets of parents and relations, we always celebrate winter solstice as the calm before the storm. My wife, the kids and I start with stacks of blueberry pancakes and end with a big roast dinner (prepared together as a family - who says too many cooks spoil a broth? Good thing we're not having a broth, I suppose  Smiley ) and then blobbing out around a small bonfire with mulled drinks (age appropriate  Wink ).
In the middle there is a present each, always light based. This year I have made LED colour-change lamps for the kids to match their current obsessions: my daughter's has all six of the Aperture Science logos (from Portal) cut out for the light to shine through and my son's has assorted Digicrests (from Digimon). My wife gets a kaleidoscope as always - after 30 years she now has a large and rather beautiful collection. Hopefully next year I'll be able to make a mechanical one...

It's a very enjoyable tradition that I feel keeps hold of some of the best aspects of traditional yule family celebrations in an otherwise hectic and consumerised Xmas.

Happy Solstice one and all  Grin

That sound like a fine way to celebrate, and a lovely day for family time before the mad dash from pillar to post that Christmas can be.

I would like to be spending it watching the solstice sunrise at Newgrange, but as that is not going to happen this year I will spend it not doing an awful lot, as I have a foot full of screws and surgical wire that I acquired last week causing some considerable limitations to mobility and activity.

The day after will be getting sutures removed, and the day after that is my birthday. Have no idea what is happening for Christmas!

I wish you a speedy recovery!

I'll celebrate by sleeping one of the two longest nights of the year  Wink

A mini-hibernation?  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 12:26:00 pm »

Er... OoPs, that didn't come out exactly right...  Shocked Embarrassed Wink

So there's a fetish for that too??  Shocked  Lips sealed

Rule 34.

Oh, the puns you could make with that... Shocked Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:29:35 pm by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: