The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2021, 05:41:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teyler's Museum  (Read 1417 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« on: December 02, 2015, 06:16:45 pm »

located in the very centre of the historic city of Haarlem we find the Teylers Museum; the oldest surviving museum of the netherlands.
it all started in 1775 as the collection of Mister Pieter Teyler van der Hulst who opened it up to be used in research and education by the Teylers Institute, which he had started. soon the collection grew even more and the building was expanded. with Pieter passing away and the upcoming period of enlightment the collection was opened up for the general public. General meaning upper class public whith sufficent knowledge to understand what they were looking at.
but in the 19th century the Teylers institute found itself unable to maintain the museum. they sold some pieces but a large part of the collection remained inside the building, which was closed. time froze upon the 19th century museum as it remained unchanged untill it's reopening in the 1930's.

it's a really intersting place that is still almost exactly like a 19th century museum, absolutely worth a stop if you ever visit the netherlands.

http://www.teylersmuseum.nl/
(should this be in historical or geographical?)

I struggle and arise
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:12:16 am »

I want to live there!  What a wonderful place.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 09:35:00 am »

I want to live there!  What a wonderful place.

me too! there's an actual house connected to the museum too. this is also locked down and preserved, but rarely open for the public, so that would be livable Cheesy
teylers is definitely one of my favourite placed
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 03:45:03 am »

A bit eerie; I have a friend of Boer descent who is a concertina player (and a damned good one) in a boermusieck group that I play the banjo for, who looks like he could be the younger brother of the man in that video.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:32:19 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 12:26:33 pm »

A bit eerie; I have a friend of Boer descent who is a concertina player (and a damned good one) in a boermusieck group that I play the banjo for, who looks like he could be the younger brother of the man in that video.

that's...strange indeed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: