The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 10:20:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: steampunked Hetalia Cosplay  (Read 3102 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« on: November 26, 2015, 05:08:47 pm »

so my friend asked me to come to an anime convention. I haven't been at specific anime conventions for long, expecially since I ditched my cosplay and got into steampunk. the times I did go to conventions I felt out of place, but if she asks me I can try to go again.

I would want to cosplay as Axis Powers Hetalia's Scotland. (that's the name of the character)

I know thats a horribly drawn hand. Its not official art.
(the guy in the background is England, they're brothers and don't get along too well)

but I thought to do a steampunk version of Scotty here

but I'm not too sure how to make something steampunkish that still resembles the character, so I thought maybe you have ideas

and I'm not sure if I'll actually do this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:22:38 pm by Caledonian » Logged

I struggle and arise
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 11:35:50 pm »

The problem with Scotty here is that there is a vague reference to Scotland's flag and nothing else.  That's not good.  Have you thought about a kilt and coat ensemble? You can Google for tartan shops and see the catalogue of tartans to match the colours of that character.   I'm unsure however how that would relate to Hetalia's Scotty,  as that character seems very generic to me.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 11:45:00 am »

The problem with Scotty here is that there is a vague reference to Scotland's flag and nothing else.  That's not good.  Have you thought about a kilt and coat ensemble? You can Google for tartan shops and see the catalogue of tartans to match the colours of that character.   I'm unsure however how that would relate to Hetalia's Scotty,  as that character seems very generic to me.

I have, but when wearing a kilt to an anime convention you are basically asking people to try and look under it. I know of an england cosplayer who wore in character boxer shorta because his pants were too big and he was pretty sure someone would try and pull it down. A kilt also is a bit above my budget for now (with all the assesories and all)

I'll try to work out Scotlands character a bit more even though this means straying from the strict canon and going into fan theories mainly based on the relationship between (minor character) scotland and (mayor character) england. We know a lot about england, also because his character becomes pretty clear in his charactersong "absolutely invincible british gentleman"
scotland is the oldest of the UK brothers (though some claim the ireland twins are just a little older)
England is a black magic user, so we suspect scotland participating in some kind of magic too. It is said he wears an earring made of iron to ward of fae. Seeing faeries is something common in their family.
The fanmade human name for scotland is Allistair, fans discuss if is last name should be kirkland (like england) or something else.
There are very little pictures of scotland in which he is not smoking, so we suspect this is a serious problem for him just like it is for Netherlands and Cuba.
It is canoncally confirmed Scotland has a tsundere character type, meaning he has trouble showing and accepting affection, while deep down really carving it.

There is no canon for scotlands life through different era's unlike there is for england who went forrest inhabitant - knight - pirate - gentleman but we suspect it might be similar to englands life. Or not, fanon varies a lot on this point.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 02:16:53 pm »

What about a blue military jacket with 2 white crossbelts?
e.g. the chap on the right.

With optional kilt.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Maudlin Hart
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 03:27:14 am »

I think you need to incorporate a thistle, maybe as a tiepin- J. Wilhelm is right about the reference being vague.
If you're with an England cosplayer or a group, you're more likely to be recognized- I was always recognized in my Austria cosplay when I was with other Hetalians, but once got mistaken for Sebastian Michaelis of all characters when separated from the group.

Ragamuffin
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 09:49:21 am »

I think you need to incorporate a thistle, maybe as a tiepin- J. Wilhelm is right about the reference being vague.
If you're with an England cosplayer or a group, you're more likely to be recognized- I was always recognized in my Austria cosplay when I was with other Hetalians, but once got mistaken for Sebastian Michaelis of all characters when separated from the group.

My friend is going as denmark. I once started as a belgium (from there I got to steampunk), so Im reasonably familiar with the hetalia group.
I decided on scotland because I roleplay as him in a roleplay group

I love the thistle idea!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:30:52 pm by Caledonian » Logged
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:23:59 pm »

Seems like a difficult but cool idea. The cross belts seems like the best idea at the moment.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 11:16:34 pm »

Consider adding a pet Nessie (Loch Ness Monster) to be worn as you wear your dragon.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 12:47:30 pm »

Tentacles are popular in steampunk… how about an octopus wearing tartan… otherwise known as a set of cephalopodic bagpipes…

--
Keith
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 10:42:27 am »

Instead of a tartan kilt, with its associated problems, how about some tartan trews (or trousers).  You can also get tartan shorts in a variety of styles.

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: