The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 27, 2021, 05:16:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for feedback for this poster.  (Read 1394 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« on: November 17, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »

we were challenged to make a poster for the promotion of our academy, I've made this so far:

the text is still a placeholder as I don't have the correct text yet.

the Reinwardt Academy, organ of the Amsterdam University of Art, gives education in the field of cultural heritage.

I struggle and arise
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 12:16:47 pm »

You may wish to reconsider the placement of the text.

With all that empty space around the statue, it looks like it ought to mean something that the shape with what I am guessing is "Date and Time Go Here" on it overlaps the figure's forehead so much.

I tlhink it would be less distracting if the figure's head were unobscured.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:32:57 pm »

this better?

the pink and black are taken directly from the logo, by the way.

Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 12:53:20 pm »

Better, yes.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:20:56 pm »

the Reinwardt Academy, organ of the Amsterdam University of Art, gives education in the field of cultural heritage.

You may want to rethink the word 'organ' - Though I suspect it translates as something akin to 'arm' or 'branch' in Dutch....  For the English speaking world, we tend to think of the word organ as a euphemism for penis. Or a liver, kidney etc...  In other words, we tend to find a way to take the piss out of it - especially if it's the kidneyWink

If Dutch language only, and it means the same as 'arm', then just ignore me.... Grin

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 06:56:19 pm »

You may want to rethink the word 'organ' - Though I suspect it translates as something akin to 'arm' or 'branch' in Dutch....  For the English speaking world, we tend to think of the word organ as a euphemism for penis. Or a liver, kidney etc...  In other words, we tend to find a way to take the piss out of it - especially if it's the kidneyWink

If Dutch language only, and it means the same as 'arm', then just ignore me.... Grin

It's pretty common in American English to say things like "so and so is an organ of the state".

Religious people here sometimes call someone "an organ of the community".
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:39:33 pm »

It's pretty common in American English to say things like "so and so is an organ of the state".

Religious people here sometimes call someone "an organ of the community".

'orgaan' is used to indicate brances/arms of buisinesses in dutch. I wrongly translated it to that OTHER meaning.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 08:43:13 pm »

Funny, I was thinking "Wurlitzer"...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 09:00:10 pm »

'orgaan' is used to indicate brances/arms of buisinesses in dutch. I wrongly translated it to that OTHER meaning.

Yeah I thought that was the case.  Smiley  Don't worry, your ability to translate Dutch to English is way better than mine! Grin
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 09:55:23 pm »

Yeah I thought that was the case.  Smiley  Don't worry, your ability to translate Dutch to English is way better than mine! Grin

most of the time it isn't translating though. when typing in English I tend to think in English too, it's only with words I don't use on regular basis that I need to search for a translation.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 10:06:15 pm »

FINAL VERSION

\
making some others too, though, so my teacher can point out what he thinks is the best.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 10:13:43 pm »

I like the way you have used the logo shape, not just the colours, and the way it echoes all the curves of the statue.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 10:18:03 pm »

You misspelled "Dagon." Tongue

Joking aside, I like the final version.

Also, I'm familiar with that usage of "organ," but I haven't heard it in centuries.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:22:04 pm by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 11:11:09 pm »

You misspelled "Dagon." Tongue

Joking aside, I like the final version.

Also, I'm familiar with that usage of "organ," but I haven't heard it in centuries.

Dagen means Days Wink would have liked putting in dagon  instead but I'll be graded for this project.

ah. okay.
------
also: thank you all, it's really helping to see what you like and what not^^
here's a different take:

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 02:05:07 am »

I quite like that one!

However the bricks make me think of the Pink Floyd song 'Another Brick In The Wall'. But that might be a good reference to play on! Maybe add "Pink Floyd" in school graffiti style on the bricks, and a play on the lyrics with "Learn to think for yourself".  Wink
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:24 am »

I quite like that one!

However the bricks make me think of the Pink Floyd song 'Another Brick In The Wall'. But that might be a good reference to play on! Maybe add "Pink Floyd" in school graffiti style on the bricks, and a play on the lyrics with "Learn to think for yourself".  Wink

I don't know if I have space for so much text but thanks for the suggestion.
"leer voor jezelf te denken!" would be a pretty good slogan though.
the question rises:
is Pink Floyd cultural heritage?
 Tongue
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 11:41:56 am »

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 11:58:48 pm »

That version is much better visually, it integrates the shadow of 'The Thinker' properly.

I like it. Smiley
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 10:28:52 am »

FINAL VERSION

\
making some others too, though, so my teacher can point out what he thinks is the best.

I like this one, except for a couple of points.

"Oktober", "Januari", but "maart" (first letter is upper case for the first, lower for the third… I don't know the rule for Dutch, but I'm sure you need to choose one or the other).

Typeface: I would keep a single typeface for all of the text, just vary the weight and size. Since you have the  statue to represent antiquity, I would suggest something more contemporary to represent modernity and thus the idea that culture is a continuum from the past through to the present (the 1920s typeface is recent history, and the date in the future is… well, the near future).

ITC Bauhaus is OK, but looks too much like 1970s sci-fi for me. I have a fondness for Template Gothic and Swiss 721.

If you are constrained by licensing and cost, simple Helvetica or Geneva would work.

--
Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: