The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2019, 01:15:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phobias?  (Read 1923 times)
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« on: November 15, 2015, 11:56:12 am »

Irrational fears; spiders, snakes, heights, angel statues, public speaking. Do you have one? What is it like?

I used to think I didn't have any phobias myself, but in the past year of kayak fishing I discovered a really strange one: I have an irrational fear of submerged logs / trees / bits of wood.

Rocks don't bother me, nor do weeds. But if I can see a stump sunk underwater or a tree that's half-fallen into the water, with the branches suspended over over murky nothingness, I get a deeply uneasy feeling that simply doesn't go away. Like watching a really effective horror movie. It's not a jump scare or an adrenalin spike, it's a just a lurking dread that lasts for as long as I can see the wood in question, or know that it's nearby. It's not something that bothers me hugely or ruins an outing, I've fished over sunken logs and stumps if they're in a good spot, but still, the irrational dread is there.

It's interesting that the deciding factor seems to be when I can see a piece of wood but can't see the bottom of the lake/river underneath it, or when I can see a stump or a log poking out of a weed bed. Trees that have fallen from the bank are the worst, with a big trunk and all the spidery bare branches suspended over nothing. Undecided

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 02:57:35 pm »

At 32 years old, i still sleep with a night light and the door of my room locked.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:32:51 am by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 11:57:52 am »

I have trouble with hights, especially when they are above water, planes don't bother me though. Just things like cycling over the bridge (especially when windy!) scare me.

I also really hate ice. Not like ice cubes but I've never dared ice skating on the canals.

It's not fear of water though, as I love swimming and have attempted scuba diving before without problems. 

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 05:25:58 pm »

It's heights for me too. I used to be fine with them until I got stuck halfway up a 70ft cliff while rock climbing and ended up having to unhook the rope and free climb to the top. And over the years since then it has slowly become worse to the extent that I almost had to stop watching Chronicle last night because I was feeling so queasy during the aerial shots.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 11:29:39 pm »

When I was a child I had a terrible fear of spiders.  I went into hysterics.  Now I am an adult (well, in years anyway) and live on my own I have had to deal with it.  I get a jar and a piece of cardboard and can put the creature out of the back door (screaming the whole time, I admit).
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 12:00:20 am »

I too have a dread of submerged logs, and have concluded that it is an atavistic fear of crocodiles.  Someone told me that if you are attacked by a swan, and you wiggle a piece of rope in the water, it will frighten the swan away because the swan has a fear of snakes even though it has never seen one.  Of course you would likely be being attacked on the shore, and unlikely to have a snake-long piece of rope about you. But the theory is sound.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 01:03:21 am »

Up until I was nearly 40 y.o.,  I couldn't even stand on a chair and look down (acrophobia) , or see a (live, not photographed) snake without hyperventilating.

Now, "Neuro-Lingustic Programming (NLP)", in general,  is fairly-high on the "woo-woo" scale, BUT,in my purely-anecdotal experience, the "NLP phobia cure" (look it up online)  has worked extremely well to eliminate those irrational issues.  Your mileage may well vary, but.for me, it was well-worth an hour or so of my time.

A note:  as a former (alas) river kayaker, I'd suggest that fear of submerged obstacles is not at all irrational. If a many-times-great ancestor ("Fred Flintstone") had not feared sabertooths, you wouldn't be here.  Fear makes you wary. Phobia cripples your ability to react. There is a big difference, IMHO. 

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:53:13 am »

A note:  as a former (alas) river kayaker, I'd suggest that fear of submerged obstacles is not at all irrational. If a many-times-great ancestor ("Fred Flintstone") had not feared sabertooths, you wouldn't be here.  Fear makes you wary. Phobia cripples your ability to react. There is a big difference, IMHO. 

Hmm, I'd term my submerged-logs-fear a phobia (albeit a mild one) since it feels emotionally different than, say, a fear of the dark or fear of injury. Even if both are persistent, an ordinary fear has a less... surreal or nightmarish quality than the underwater wood phobia.

It's really only wood that bothers me, as well. Rocks pose more of a risk via scraping the boat or high-centering (which I've done Roll Eyes). That risk is a pretty mild one, since I only kayak on lakes or calm dam-impounded rivers. Rocks, weeds, and submerged buoys that ought to look equally as creepy or icky don't bother me nearly as much.

As an amateur psychologist I find the difference interesting from an academic standpoint. It's also why I'm curious about others' experiences with phobias.

Now, "Neuro-Lingustic Programming (NLP)", in general,  is fairly-high on the "woo-woo" scale, BUT,in my purely-anecdotal experience, the "NLP phobia cure" (look it up online)  has worked extremely well to eliminate those irrational issues.  Your mileage may well vary, but.for me, it was well-worth an hour or so of my time.

Interesting, sounds a lot like self-hypnosis.

I remember doing something along those lines as kid.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think some of those woo-woo mental sciences have a basis in fact or actuality, though thier creators tend to butter them up with hype and excessive claims due to marketing, ego, or wishful thinking.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 10:38:22 pm »

Butterflies and moths inside. Just fly outside guys so I don't have to get my husband to evict you. It's particularly bad at night when obviously they are just waiting for me to go to sleep so they can flutter down onto my face.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 04:03:23 am »

With me, it is driving over high bridges, I don't know why, but it makes me twitchy. Also, claustrophobia, which has gotten worse as I get older. And I prefer spiders to be outside rather than in, but I deal with them better than I used to...

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 06:34:38 am »

...It's interesting that the deciding factor seems to be when I can see a piece of wood but can't see the bottom of the lake/river underneath it, or when I can see a stump or a log poking out of a weed bed. Trees that have fallen from the bank are the worst, with a big trunk and all the spidery bare branches suspended over nothing. Undecided

This is not an irrational fear, as anyone living along waterways in the American South can tell you, because these are prime locations for water moccasins.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 02:32:54 pm »

Injections.

Heights, confined spaces, all manner of risky work,  hanging off helicopters on ropes, unstable munitions, snakes, spiders, wild animals - not a problem, but even though I have to keep all my exotic destinations vaccinations up to date, I can't stand the hypodermic.
I even tried being a regular blood donor for the Red Cross for 3 years and still broke a sweat every time.
On my combat medical course, I even did my own IV just to prove to myself I could treat myself in extremis but was in more risk from the hyperventilting.
I even get my dental fillings done without anaesthesia because I can stand the drill and the burr, but not the needle.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:34:48 pm by Fairley B. Strange » Logged

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 05:33:47 pm »

Claustrophobia [ not good when having an MRI ], heights,  spooks behind the door, taking the top news paper,  water deeper than I can stand up in, commitment, smoking on film,  people behind me...

I used to have a phobia about the dark,  amputated fingers, being on floors above ground level [ still won't go above several stories] , spooks under the bed. Store santas

I have never had an issue with critters and vermin.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 09:34:49 pm »

Cephalapods.  Can't stand the grim awful tentacled *******.  Except for cuttlefish, which bizarrely conversely I find quite 'cute'. 
Used to have a phobia of lifts.  Or, more specifically, getting trapped in one. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 05:48:21 pm »

Not precisely a phobia, but I've long been paranoid, without good reason, of getting my back foot caught in revolving doors. I avoid the bloody things wherever possible, but I can use 'em if necessary.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 03:19:47 pm »

Horses.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 05:38:00 pm »

Horses.

Good job it's not goats .....
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 05:47:44 pm »

Horses.

Good job it's not goats .....

Of course it's not goats, i love goats
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 05:57:02 pm »

..... but I couldn't eat a whole one!  No, no, not really I know you wouldn't do anything as horrid as that.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 05:33:23 am »

I used to have a fear that I would go uncotrollably besirker.
then I found out it was socially acceptable as a Mad Scientist to do so .

Now I have an irrational fear that I am an AI on the net, dreaming that I am a man.

prof dreaming

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 05:40:02 am »

Now I have an irrational fear that I am an AI on the net, dreaming that I am a man.

I am a figment of someone else's imagination.

So far, though, no-one has been willing to admit responsibility.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 08:00:35 am »

I don't have what I would really call a phobia, but I get a feeling quite close to what I imagine a claustrophobic person would feel when I find a really nasty tangled mess of cables

The desk I have been assigned at work makes my flesh creep if I pay attention to the kabelsalat behind the screen and the even worse mess underneath.

USB, blue ethernet, yellow ethernet, VGA, assorted power cables, audio, ugh!

--
Keith
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 11:18:37 am »

..... but I couldn't eat a whole one!  No, no, not really I know you wouldn't do anything as horrid as that.

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 02:31:05 pm »

Not sure if a phobia but after nearly drowning when little I can't totally immerse my head in the bath, can't put my head under the shower flow, if I do I gasp and hyperventilate. It's getting better but as a result never learnt to swim.

Not too keen on roofs and open heights anymore, again came off a roof when about 18, bounced and survived, no thank you to roofwork.

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 03:16:45 am »

Clowns-French clowns- and harlequins. And emetophobia and choking. So choking on a clown would be my worst nightmare.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: