The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 15, 2019, 05:15:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shooter's Sandwich Recipe and Building Instructions  (Read 1436 times)
Burgess Shale
Officer
United States United States

« on: November 06, 2015, 08:20:32 pm »

Have any of you made a shooter's sandwich? In some ways, it's like Beef Wellington for your pocket. I've made the sandwich from this recipe about a year or so ago and I'm getting hungry for it again. It was fun to prepare and delicious to eat. This time, I think I'll cut it so it fits into the pouches of my utility belt. If you don't have the bookbinding equipment to press this sandwich overnight, just stack some suitably protected heavy books on top, or an anvil, if you have one.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich#/?picture=360719874&index=0

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 03:13:43 am »

Well, dangit. Now I'll have to try that. My doc's gonna kill me... (lol).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 06:15:03 pm »

Homer Simpson Gurgle Noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msQPHxTUgzI

Seriously, cutting it down to sizes to fit your belt pouches? Genius way to circumvent the "3X-the-normal-price" fare from questionable vendors at conventions. (Same reason I pack jerky for cons, and conferences as well, although this looks tastier and more fulfilling than jerky!)

For those of us who are mustard and/or horseradish adverse, what would be alternate recommendations for the condiments? Or would it be okay "dry" (I usually don't put condiments on grilled or smoked meats so it doesn't distract from the meat's flavor).
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 06:49:59 pm »

This reminds me very much of a similar recipe/technique (I think it's Spanish) that I've been thinking of trying for a while which uses cheese, pickled things (the one chef I've seen do it a couple of times uses those peppers preserved in oil), tomatoes, salad and the like (a possible alternative for the health conscious among you) but have never heard of a version being done with meat.

As to alternatives to the horseradish/mustard some form of chutney/pickle might work well, but the main challenge would be finding a condiment that could permeate the filling but which wouldn't drip straight through to the bottom leaving you with a filling liable to drop out of the bottom.

I'm DEFINATELY going to have to try this next time I'm invited to a picnic or other, now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to drool some more at the pictures.....

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 07:16:50 pm »

Could easily see working potatoes into this or other vegetables if you do not like mushrooms. I for one do not like them but easily could eat this with potatoes instead
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 10:27:14 pm »

Could easily see working potatoes into this or other vegetables if you do not like mushrooms. I for one do not like them but easily could eat this with potatoes instead

I was going to do this anyway, but working in a proportional amount of grilled potato with the mushrooms and shallots.

Incidentally, the recipe calls for pan-frying the steaks. Since this is being done in a dry pan, would it make a difference if the steaks were grilled/broiled instead?
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 12:37:21 am »

gonna try and make this sometime in a variation. seen varying views of the sandwich but idea sounds good
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 03:50:54 am »

I was going to do this anyway, but working in a proportional amount of grilled potato with the mushrooms and shallots.

Incidentally, the recipe calls for pan-frying the steaks. Since this is being done in a dry pan, would it make a difference if the steaks were grilled/broiled instead?
I see no reason why not, although you would lose some of the juice that's supposed to soak into the bread.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 06:13:11 pm »

...Incidentally, the recipe calls for pan-frying the steaks. Since this is being done in a dry pan, would it make a difference if the steaks were grilled/broiled instead?

I see no reason why not, although you would lose some of the juice that's supposed to soak into the bread.

Okay, how much juice is supposed to soak into the bread? Ribeyes are supposed to have a higher fat content than other cuts to begin with, and I marinate mine before they're broiled. I aim for medium when I cook steak, but the recipe sounds like it calls for medium-well. If I'm interpreting things correctly, I'd have more juice for the bread to soak up. So, is my way going to make the bread soggy once pressed, or should I pan-fry as in the recipe to make sure the bread stays dry in my bag?
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 09:33:11 pm »

I don't believe marinated meat absorbs significant amounts of liquid - if it does, you're marinating way too long. I shouldn't think you'd get much more juice than would come out of the meat onto the plate; the pics with the article look to have only 2 or 3 mm of soak-in.

Perhaps you could try making one each way and report back? Smiley
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 05:37:03 am »

I don't believe marinated meat absorbs significant amounts of liquid - if it does, you're marinating way too long. I shouldn't think you'd get much more juice than would come out of the meat onto the plate; the pics with the article look to have only 2 or 3 mm of soak-in.

Perhaps you could try making one each way and report back? Smiley

Like I need an excuse to buy more meat...!  Wink

The only part of this experiment I'm missing is a good way to compress all this heart-stopping goodness. I like my books too much to expose them to potential grease-leakage and I really don't have anything else of sufficient uniformity to do that. Once I've got that solution in hand, however, I'm heading to the butcher's!
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 06:34:41 am »

Use a sheet pan, or even an inverted pie plate, and load it down with canned tomatoes and stuff.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 10:31:56 am »

Or a chopping board covered in weights. Or even just put a board over it and then weigh it down with a bowl of water.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 01:00:09 pm »

Not just for shooters… that looks like it is going to be my packing up for work one day next week!

--
Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: