The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2019, 06:06:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Davy Sprocket  (Read 2267 times)
PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: November 06, 2015, 10:16:14 am »

This week's work togs:

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:04:33 pm »

Dashing, as always, PitYak. Cheesy
Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 10:12:32 pm »

Looks good, though to my newbie eye, I am uncertain what distinguishes this as a Steampunk outfit from a regular Davy Crockett outfit.

No offense intended, it's my ignorance asking the question, I'm not expecting gear-glitter as the defining requirement.  Just curious how you differentiate it.

I also love the name Davey Sprocket.  Good play on words.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 10:42:02 pm »

Looks great.

Though I'm not gonna lie... I was sort of hoping for a mechanical racoon tail hat.  Smiley
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 03:13:41 am »

I also love the name Davey Sprocket.  Good play on words.

Far better than Davy Crackpot...   Incidentally, I was born less than two miles from the Alamo, where Crockett & the others died.  The two events are NOT related.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 04:58:40 am »

I also love the name Davey Sprocket.  Good play on words.

Far better than Davy Crackpot...   Incidentally, I was born less than two miles from the Alamo, where Crockett & the others died.  The two events are NOT related.

Yes, indeed.  I would hope that your birth would not be tied to Day Crocketts death (by way of time and space)  Grin  Unless Santa Anna carried you in his arms as a baby and from a distance proclaimed that you were Davy Crockett's illegitimate son  Shocked  Grin

PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 10:46:45 am »

woah i must have been pissed last night, i just went to post this pic and found i already i had

Kensington: you really don't want to go down that road, but if you do the gun is solid brass. that'll do

That was probably a bit harsh. What I do is alternate history costuming: sometimes very alternate, sometimes very historical, but always alt historical. at least in my mind

... which is exactly what steampunk is.

... at least in my mind.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:57:31 am by PitYak Studios » Logged
PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 10:48:41 am »

Looks great.

Though I'm not gonna lie... I was sort of hoping for a mechanical racoon tail hat.  Smiley

please... don't give me ideas
PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 10:51:52 am »

Far better than Davy Crackpot...   Incidentally, I was born less than two miles from the Alamo, where Crockett & the others died.  The two events are NOT related.

It's a bit of a game for my market compadres to guess who i'm meant to be each week. One not only guessed correctly but even knew about about him being at the Alamo today which i was quite impressed at
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:59:16 am by PitYak Studios » Logged
PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 11:03:36 am »

anyway, got a bit hot for the hunting shirt, had to strip down to the shirt and weskit

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 01:07:17 pm »

(snip_

the gun is solid brass. that'll do

(snip)

Hmm... By its nature, a brass gun would have to use 'Steampunk' technology wouldn't it? By that I mean a brass barrel of any sensible thickness would not be strong enough to contain a back-powder shot (exploding barrel time), so you would need to build up the projectile velocity in a more controlled way - maybe increasing steam pressure to accelerate it, or an e.m. induction mechanism (i.e. a rail gun)...

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. great outfit - as we have come to expect!
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 01:55:21 pm »

woah i must have been pissed last night, i just went to post this pic and found i already i had

Kensington: you really don't want to go down that road, but if you do the gun is solid brass. that'll do

That was probably a bit harsh. What I do is alternate history costuming: sometimes very alternate, sometimes very historical, but always alt historical. at least in my mind

... which is exactly what steampunk is.

... at least in my mind.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.  Getting a sense of your thinking is helpful.  I'm used to seeing something more variant on a costume, like a device or item that stands out as different on a period outfit.
PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 08:04:55 pm »

(snip_

(snip)

Hmm... By its nature, a brass gun would have to use 'Steampunk' technology wouldn't it? By that I mean a brass barrel of any sensible thickness would not be strong enough to contain a back-powder shot (exploding barrel time), so you would need to build up the projectile velocity in a more controlled way - maybe increasing steam pressure to accelerate it, or an e.m. induction mechanism (i.e. a rail gun)...

Yours,
Miranda.

Buntline Superhardened Brass
PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 08:25:43 pm »

Ah, thanks for the explanation.  Getting a sense of your thinking is helpful.  I'm used to seeing something more variant on a costume, like a device or item that stands out as different on a period outfit.

Yeah, I don't do goggles on hats
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 02:56:07 am »

Yes, indeed.  I would hope that your birth would not be tied to Day Crocketts death (by way of time and space)  Grin  Unless Santa Anna carried you in his arms as a baby and from a distance proclaimed that you were Davy Crockett's illegitimate son  Shocked  Grin

Had THAT happened, I would surely have wet on him!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 07:05:53 am »

(snip_

(snip)

Yours,
Miranda.

Whilst they were often more expensive than iron, there were any number of solid-brass barrel flintlock muskets, pistols, and blunderbusses . Brass barreled flintlock pistols in .50 cal and up were quite popular since they did not corrode like iron or steel. Gun Bronze was also quite popular for cannon and shipboard small arms for sea use. Interestingly, I am currently playing with nickel-silver bronze - a beautiful white alloy that has over twice the tensile strength of common steel, a melting point of ~ 1850 deg F, and excellent casting characterisitcs...

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 01:44:52 pm »

(snip_

(snip)

Yours,
Miranda.

Whilst they were often more expensive than iron, there were any number of solid-brass barrel flintlock muskets, pistols, and blunderbusses . Brass barreled flintlock pistols in .50 cal and up were quite popular since they did not corrode like iron or steel. Gun Bronze was also quite popular for cannon and shipboard small arms for sea use. Interestingly, I am currently playing with nickel-silver bronze - a beautiful white alloy that has over twice the tensile strength of common steel, a melting point of ~ 1850 deg F, and excellent casting characterisitcs...

yhs
prof marvel

Interesting - was this nickel-silver bronze alloy know back in Victorian times or is it a new formulation?

Yours,
Miranda.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 04:07:11 pm »

Looks great.

please... don't give me ideas

do it!!!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 02:32:45 am »

Interesting - was this nickel-silver bronze alloy know back in Victorian times or is it a new formulation?
Yours,
Miranda.

Gun Bronze ( typically good to ~ 45,000 psi about the same as steel) was a common alloy even in 1700;
Nickle-Silver Bronze ( aka German Silver) came from China during the Qing Dynasty and was common in the 1600's.

German Silver was popular during the era's of our interest as it gave a pleasing hard-wearing silver luster at low cost.

the strength of the Bronze is dependent upon the alloy ; greater strength is achieved thru addition of zinc, phosphor ,
nickel, etc. . Some of the Bronze Age tools are still used today where explosion danger from sparking ( ie steel tools)
would be hazardous. I know from personal experience using bronze shovels, chisels and prybars to dig up leaking oil pipes in my Oil Refinery Summer Job. Good pay, scary place. too many bad chemicasl, too many possibilities for KB events
 (Ka-Boom) bad juju - stay away! 

we now take you back to our good Pityak's Davy Sproket -

My Dear Pityak, may we kindly see close-ups of your rifle and barrel?

yhs
pm
PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 09:02:12 am »

It's still not technically finished. I chopped my finger end off (doing something else) when it was nearly done, shelved it, and still haven't got back onto it. Does the job for photo shoots though.

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 04:26:22 pm »

Nice job, Davy!  Was that a Mauser carbine or short rifle stock before you adapted it to percussion?  Looks like it might have been from a Swedish or possibly Spanish Mauser.
PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 07:47:56 pm »

It was something of that ilk. Not sure what exactly, it was already used abused and modified when I got it but does the job perfectly here. It has a really nice line  and as soon as I saw it I knew what I'd be doing with it.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 07:51:07 pm »

You did a great job of it.  As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY thing that could benefit from a rework is the hammer.  Is the                                   lock "functional"?  (I know it won't actually fire, but can it be cocked & will the hammer fall if thje trigger is pulled?)
PitYak Studios
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 04:58:14 am »

the hammer moves, but it's not connected to the trigger.

I agree with you, i'm not 100% happy with it, but given what I had to work with it makes a pretty good approximation.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2015, 02:19:52 am »

the hammer moves, but it's not connected to the trigger.

I agree with you, i'm not 100% happy with it, but given what I had to work with it makes a pretty good approximation.

Fair enough.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: