The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 17, 2019, 11:55:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bride Steampunk'd  (Read 1456 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 27, 2015, 09:52:19 pm »

Whilst wondering what to wear for this year's Halloween festivities, I recalled I had a wedding dress hanging in the wardrobe* waiting to find a purpose. So, the decision was made - the Bride of Frankenstein. However, I knew that this would be a re-imagining rather than a faithful reproduction of the Bride's look in the film (where of course she wore a shroud rather than an actual wedding dress; also, not having Elsa Lanchester's aqualine features I knew I would not be able to get away with an exact copy of that hairstyle). That got me thinking - why didn't the Bride have any obvious way of being 'energised' as the Creature did? So I decided to design a little Steampunk addition to her look - a head-ring mechanism by which she is reanimated.

The parts used are shown below:

The pink ring is a (broken) mirror mount, the white tube thin plastic plumbing pipe, the green tubes straws and the hexagonal objects the tops off contact lens cases.

The front after painting and assembly:

The back:

As can be seen, the transparent parts of the contact lens cases have been added in along with some red wire and fake blood capsules on the end of the straw sections (the idea is this feeds blood containing various chemicals straight into the Bride's brain). I'm planning to put coiled glow-sticks into the clear contact lens cases and also up into the fake blood capsules.

'In situ' on the wig I've prepared for the evening:

(Sorry that one's a bit out of focus).

So, with some pale face-paint and drawn in scars, I hope that will look the part.

Yours,
Miranda.

* Before anyone asks, no, this wedding dress was never intended for any nuptials. It was bought about seven years ago from Tk-Maxx for £30 to convert to an evening gown for an event we planned to attend, as back then the children were still quite young and I just didn't have the time to make an outfit from scratch. However, we ended up not going to the event, so it's been sitting in the wardrobe waiting to be used ever since.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 03:10:29 am »

a splendid  solution

It is good that the  frock is finally getting an outing
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 06:01:49 pm »

That is fantastically creative. Have you pictures of it "in action" from last night, so to speak?

This is the "cheat" my lady normally wears (hers isn't faded like this one on eBay; the white is more vibrant). Not as classy as your solution, but it's foam (and thus weighs nearly nothing) and fits her tiny skull.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:49:46 pm »

That is fantastically creative. Have you pictures of it "in action" from last night, so to speak?

This is the "cheat" my lady normally wears (hers isn't faded like this one on eBay; the white is more vibrant). Not as classy as your solution, but it's foam (and thus weighs nearly nothing) and fits her tiny skull.

Funny you should ask...

Sorry it's not showing the stitching along the jaw line very well - I didn't have my head lifted enough for the classic 'Bride' pose.

I'm thinking of keeping the wig made-up and setting up the outfit on a manequin for next year's display. I've got in mind a bit of a homage to Universal Horror - Bella in the coffin, the Bride alongside Boris, the Wolfman in the background. Good job it's a leap year in 2016; we've  got 365 days to plan rather than the usual paltry 364...

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:53:13 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 12:26:17 am »

That. Is. AWESOME.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:13:38 pm »

That. Is. AWESOME.

Many thanks - praise indeed from a horror aficionado such as your good self!

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 09:30:20 pm »

Goodevening, ladies and gentlemen
What creative, lightweight solutions for costuming!
Most impressive.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:14:28 am »

You look terrific!  That's a really nice assemblage and conversion, creative rather than slavish recreation.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 09:55:17 pm »

You look terrific!  That's a really nice assemblage and conversion, creative rather than slavish recreation.
Thank you! That seems like a very long time ago now... and a long time to next Halloween. Nevertheless, plans are afoot. I like to do something something different for my costume each year, but equally I like to get the use out of things, so for our home display I'm planning a little homage to the classic Universal horror movies with figures for Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, the Wolfman and the Bride, for the latter using this costume with a suitably decorated polystyrene or papier mache head.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 03:37:38 am »

Is it the Bride Steampunk'd? Or the Bride of Steampunk?  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print