The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 05, 2020, 11:28:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How it all started  (Read 1822 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: October 24, 2015, 03:38:05 am »

The original Bob Ross.  Season 1, Episode 1

Bob Ross - A Walk in the Woods (Season 1 Episode 1)

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:23:37 am »

[sorry i cant stop myself]

he looks like Rolf Harris - don't go for a walk in the woods with him
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 02:22:51 pm »

How all what started? Drug addiction? Early life funky hair style? Paint eating?....

Cheesy

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:21:46 pm »

Careful now, your talking about one of my heroes.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 09:27:27 pm »

Mine too.

Mind you, though, pthalo blue's always been my favorite on hot wings...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 01:01:05 am »

Look at the size of that mans palette!

Admiral Ackbar?

"We cannot repel art of this magnitude!"

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 04:00:59 am »

*erp* sorry. Undecided

Hey, I like cheesy early 80s music.
...wait, most of it is cheesy.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 12:32:56 pm »

Interesting. I have to say that I'd never heard of him and I'm not sure his programmes were ever shown in the U.K.

My introduction to 'art' would have been Tony Hart on 'Vision On'.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 01:00:55 pm »

Could I just ask the question, How what started?

Is this a thread about art and painting or, what/ who initially inspired you into making?

Although it turns out Rolf was more than a bit dodgy in the young ladies department, he was a good artist imo, and yep, I had a piss poor drawing shown on vision on, a pencil sketch of a deer head. Tongue

Tony Hart was one of my early years heros (probably dodgy as well no doubt  Roll Eyes)

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 08:09:22 pm »

Interesting. I have to say that I'd never heard of him and I'm not sure his programmes were ever shown in the U.K.

My introduction to 'art' would have been Tony Hart on 'Vision On'.

I'm sure I've seen some of his programmes on TV in U.K., although I can't remember when or on which channel (must have been a long time ago).
Vision On - yes, Tony Hart & Pat Keysell 'signing', and the picture gallery which I failed totally to ever get shown on.  Ah, happy days.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 08:26:57 pm »

I had heard of Bob Ross, but primarily as a drinking game. Roll Eyes

I have fond memories of watching Vision On on TVOntario. My sisters referred to it as "that noisy show for deaf kids."

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 11:41:42 pm »

Thank you Mr. Maets. I've been looking for the early episodes of Bob.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 12:48:41 am »

Thank you Mr. Maets. I've been looking for the early episodes of Bob.

My pleasure.  Enjoy.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 02:09:47 am »

I like to use his techniques for backgrounds; a nice naive-ish photorealist subject in the foreground goes well with Bob Ross-style landscaping in the distance. it also lends itself well to flat-style detailing.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 02:11:09 am »

Hard to believe his pre-art career was as a drill sergeant.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 10:19:34 am »

Displaying a bit of cultural centrism on both sides of the pond....

I'm not surprised that Commonwealth countries would not know who Bob Ross is.  This is strictly an American phenomenon.  Bob Ross was a rather hippie looking fellow, who became a legend in the Public Broadcasting Network for teaching otherwise untrained people to paint photo-realistic backgrounds using just a handful of techniques (knife, brush, etc), and always improvising his subjects during the broadcast, never using real photos or images as a guide.

He managed to device simple oil painting techniques to draw landscapes, mountains, clouds, trees, lakes.... each element of the landscape with a different set of techniques and tools. So someone who was not very artistically inclined could potentially draw a very realistic panorama just by learning those techniques.  

Bob Ross was unique in his great physical stature, gentle nature, and child-like descriptions of the objects to be painted, eg  "Maybe a happy mountain lives here....with one... no make it two, trees flanking it... perhaps a little squirrel lives here... and why not? Lets draw a creek in the middle"  

Just watching his programs was relaxing. He gave the impression of having a good smoke of Cannabis before shooting each episode  Grin , and he never planned anything ahead.

Generations of Americans grew watching this big old hippie talk about the "happy" landscapes, and for all his silliness it was ridiculous how he could, after just a few strokes, have an impressive landscape worthy of a National Geographic magazine, full of realistic detail with zero inspiration other than his improvisation on the canvas during the last 20-40 minutes.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:26:32 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 01:03:46 pm »

Not shown here, but I remember seeing ads for the videos in artists magazines, And he had some "How To ..." books - I seem to remember that I had one some time or another. Must look out for it when packing up.
DikkeVetteVlinder
Gunner
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 09:06:18 pm »

Ahhh Bob Ross. Love those videos. Not just for the techniques, but they are always so oddly calming. Started watching them while I was experimenting with a substance to keep acrylics wet longer (easier blending and all that).

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 05:57:18 pm »

I don't know if anyone has heard of Kevin Hill? His work is very much in the style of the late Bob Ross.

Paint with Kevin
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 08:50:23 pm »

I'm not surprised that Commonwealth countries would not know who Bob Ross is.  This is strictly an American phenomenon.  Bob Ross was a rather hippie looking fellow, who became a legend in the Public Broadcasting Network for teaching otherwise untrained people to paint photo-realistic backgrounds using just a handful of techniques (knife, brush, etc), and always improvising his subjects during the broadcast, never using real photos or images as a guide.

He managed to device simple oil painting techniques to draw landscapes, mountains, clouds, trees, lakes.... each element of the landscape with a different set of techniques and tools. So someone who was not very artistically inclined could potentially draw a very realistic panorama just by learning those techniques.  

Bob Ross was unique in his great physical stature, gentle nature, and child-like descriptions of the objects to be painted, eg  "Maybe a happy mountain lives here....with one... no make it two, trees flanking it... perhaps a little squirrel lives here... and why not? Lets draw a creek in the middle"  

Just watching his programs was relaxing. He gave the impression of having a good smoke of Cannabis before shooting each episode  Grin , and he never planned anything ahead.

Generations of Americans grew watching this big old hippie talk about the "happy" landscapes, and for all his silliness it was ridiculous how he could, after just a few strokes, have an impressive landscape worthy of a National Geographic magazine, full of realistic detail with zero inspiration other than his improvisation on the canvas during the last 20-40 minutes.

So you're saying he was a considerably better artist than Nancy Kominsky?

--
Keith
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 08:55:15 pm »

I'm not surprised that Commonwealth countries would not know who Bob Ross is.  This is strictly an American phenomenon.

I have to disagree, we watched Bob years ago on the Learning channel, I think, as soon as we got cable TV. At least 20 years at a guess.

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 10:57:48 pm »

I remember watching Nancy Kominsky. Bob Ross was on the "Home & Leisure" channel.
Asphalt
Deck Hand

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 01:59:28 am »

It surprises me how wide spread how spread Bob is.  As an american i do not remember a time without him.  I love the fact that he was a retired Marine Drill instructor.  Even today my art student reference him.  Mostly as jokes, but I love that they still know who he is.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 04:15:42 pm »

I remember Bob Ross on Cable TV in the UK.  Lots of happy little trees.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 11:40:11 pm »

Good news everyone!  Grin

Netfix to stream Bob Ross.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: